Grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slo, May 22, 2013.

1. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Not alot i would guess. I would say he has possibly done that once in his career only and why IMO using videos like this to counter argument the green track grip is flawed. This is not the norm, F1 drivers do this aggressively race after race without incident, although i remember Alonso doing it years ago and binning it but still it's a freak moment and not the norm.

Green track in rF2 is totally over done. I am really experienced with sims and find the green track grip frustrating. It's really great and when finished it will be the best but right now it's flawed. Green track physics are also putting people off this sim, watch the video below, the guy is constantly dropping the car in the most hideous moments and he can not get on with the physics. Should be noted that he was also suffering from low FPS which i presume also does not help matters, I watch that and i see the same behaviour i experience with rF2 and a green track, i know about that and so am ready to counter it most of the time but still i find it highly annoying having to tip toe. I would be interested in hearing his opinion once the track is rubbered in and expect he would rave about the physics.

2. Miro

Miro Registered

I am just about to disagree with everyone about everything lol.
    IMO it's just as it should be. It's not easy but it's not easy in RL either. Just Google the comments and and accidents of the F1 COTA GP.
    There is a bunch of comments which sound exactly like people's reactions to the green track. Making it not realistic just because people don't feel comfortable is just not right IMO. People need to learn more about rF2. It's a totally new ballgame.
    I don't know maybe I am a fanboy or whatever but that's just what I think. Guys which think it's to much of everything will not play it either way.

Example, but there are much more comments.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...ircuit-of-The-Americas-after-U-S--GP-Practice

Edit: What's the point of making a slim if it doesn't simulate RL conditions? Of course selling it but I am really happy ISI goes the way they do as there are not that much developers out there pushing in this direction and after all this is something which will push the others to is rF2 is succesfull.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
  3. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Sorry but i find comments like yours demeaning. What exactly do you mean need to learn about rF2? Seriously really? I can drive almost everything and fast but does not mean everything is right and i'm sorry claiming it is right and not questioning it, is not what rF2 needs.

Yes of course a green track should offer much less grip and yes just like a real race weekend i would expect the track to come alive over time and for times to tumble, nobody, at least me myself is denying that. But not like it is now, it's too much, it's over exaggerated.

I tonight fancied some MP for once, went online to check and basically one server is running with decent numbers but the tracks used are not to my liking. Tbh i would never race on publics but i'm bored. I am a league racer and have been waiting for rF2 to mature before committing to a league. You saying well if people can't get used to it, then oh well is silly, as it's reducing the already small community when guys like him below fire up rF2 and get the wrong impression and give up due to the weirdness of the green track in rF2.

I don't think you are a fanboy we just have differing opinions, that's only natural, you seem to look at things with rose tinted glasses. I can use the green tracks just as well as any, still doesn't make it feel right to me.

4. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I thought green track was overdone... I thought 5 seconds of diference between green and totally rubbered track was a joke. But real F1 weekends has 5 seconds if diference or even more between best FP1 lap and best Q3 lap.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12147-Track-Rubbering-In-Info-Good-Read

For example, my league is racing today, with FR3.5 in Monza is possible to do 1.40 high with green track and 80L, and with totally rubbered track, the time is 1.37 high with 80L. Depends on the track, car... and hands. Best guys do 1:37 low with 80L. This track is around 3.5 secons of difference, others 5 between extreme situations. I think is pretty accurate.

5. Miro

Miro Registered

I thought people need to learn the difference between a green track and a track with race rubber on it. I was not talking about you especially.
    It's something new in sim racing and the difference in the car behavior and FFB is big.

I was questioning it at the beginning to, however i started to read what F1 racers say about the brand new circuits and the grip and it just sounds like this what people say here with their first impression of rF2 if they have a go on a green track.
    Comments like: it's like on ice, there is no grip, just sliding around, feel disconnected and so on.

I was impressed by an interview of Rossberg on a German TV channel where he stated that it was more twitchy then in rain and he said it's hard to believe but it was like that. He was talking about the P1 session on the COTA. I immediately thought on rF2 and the grip on a green track.

As I said , we obviously just disagree.
    However I personally never drive on a green track, always starting with pre-rubber so no frustration here anymore.

6. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yes well i think this may be down to me sometimes aswell. I like just to lap alot of the time by myself, just drive without AI and maybe this is where i am noticing the weirdness more. It's taking longer for rubber to go down and therefore track evolve due to lack of AI and is maybe giving the impression of being over done. Still not convinced this is right and still feel that me by myself on track should offer more grip.

When i do race with AI i start from the back as i enjoy battling and so don't let the track rubber up before the race.

7. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Well, I saw a lot of "I feel" "I think" etc... but, hey guys, we have a good tools with Motec pluggins to extract data.
    I do a test at Lime Rock with R35, on the great space behind the pit I try to turn constantly to perform a circle.
    I go at low speed with cold tires. Down on neutral and turn.
    Motec give me a relatively constant lateral-G forces for example at 25 mph (I think that is low speed) have 1.37G for information a product R35 with hot tire can't take more than 1.6 or 1.7 G (at 80 mph).
    With cold slick at this low speed 1.37 G was exaggerated ? 1.6 G will be realistic ?

[​IMG]

8. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

The "problem" of rubber, is that is accelerated... with 20 cars track is totally rubberend in few minutes. But the difference between extremes, full green and full rubbered, I think is not bad at all as I said in my previous post.

9. osella

osella Registered

Just checked it on F1 site. With the exception of spanish GP (which probably had slight rain in practice session, difference here is big) the difference between fastest FP1 and Q3 was no more than 2.5sec. Even in Monaco GP which relies heavily on mechanical grip the difference was 2.3sec.

10. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

5 between extremes, when tracks are totally green. This happens when rain previous day, when tracks are new..., and depends on track too as you said in Barcelona.

Read article I linked before!

PS: todays race in my league 3 - 3.5 seconds betewwn totally green and totally rubbered.

11. osella

osella Registered

I read it, how come that this year in Monaco the difference was 2.3sec then? The track wasn't rubbered by street cars driving prior race..?

12. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Yeah, and what's the problem? I don't understand, we are saying the same thing.

13. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

LOL then what Blancpain at Silverstone would have looked like with 50+ cars over 3 hours....

View attachment 8074

14. Domi

Domi Registered

“It’s the first time I have raced since September last year,” said Newey after Saturday’s race. “I had a good battle to start with and then I had a spin – I thought I had done it myself, but I later discovered there was damage to the rear of the car, so I might have had a tap.”

15. Muxi-Mux

Muxi-Mux Registered

Your Argument definitly counts for F1, but the F1 Series is very very special.
    If you follow the Lap-Time Progress of an GT-Series Race-Weekend you will see that Lap-Time from P1 to Quali are usually in a window from 0.5 - 1.5 sec...

16. osella

osella Registered

Read your posts again. You said 5 sec difference. It's no more than 2.5sec. And that's F1, which is extreme in all aspects. In most race series it's even less so if in RF2 the difference is 5sec, it's over exaggerated.

17. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

And I was talkin about extreme differences as article I linked says. When, as I said too, the track is new or rained previous day.

And that 5 seconds of difference are only the first few laps. With FR3.5 I said the difference is 3 - 3.5 between totally green and totally rubbered. If we use Light Rubber (tracks allways have some rubber), the difference are less than 2 with FR3.5.

I will test with GTs, but I think difference between Light Rubber and totally rubbered is not more than 1.5 depends on track.

18. osella

osella Registered

Ah ok then.

19. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

"I've driven lots of Sims and green track doesn't feel right"

As far as I am aware no other sim has ever had a green track? How can you tell?

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

So how come lap time difference between green and rubbered-in track in rF2 is similar to reality? (completely green track case, of course).

Besides, green track in rF2 is totally green track, which is something that rarely occurs in reality - there's always some rubber there.

It's only a matter of time before tracks will be delivered with initial rubber and you won't be facing totally green track any more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013