Grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slo, May 22, 2013.

1. slo

slo Registered

Hi,

I use rf2 since a few month and one of the most frustrating things in rf2 are the absolute unrealistic grip level.

the grip in corners are too low (understeering), cars with lot of tourque react very (too) sensible by acceleration (wheelspin and resulting in oversteering) and it's nearly impossible to catch the car if it's begins to oversteer (thats the most frustrating) :(.

I know that it's necassary to warm up the tires and get rubber on the road (real road etc... on real race tracks this doesn't have such an effect like in rf2).

BUT that brings not the expected results and in real life, the physic of cold slicks is also absolute different.

I drive Touring car (BMW E30) with Slicks on RaceTracks in my freetime and drive a lot on real roads with road-tires and semi slicks - never ever had such a bad grip level by same speed an dry conditions by any real car and tire combination like in rf2...

Best physics i every seen in a race simulation - race07 with all settings to realistic. I tried my car (E30) on an track i really good know (Salzburgring) and it's nearly 100% the same like real life.

I hope in future there is an better tire model and physics, otherwise its always like driving on ice...

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Agree with you, but but here you will not find anyone who will agree with you in this forum!
    I have joined an online server, one hour ago, and it was the GTR at Malesia and it was like driving on the oil! I couldn't accelerate even in 3° gear!
    I wasnt the only one, after the the first corne everyone was offroad!
    I have a feeling that with latest updates of RF2, the grip is much worse, especially when cornering at low speed '! this thing reminds me a little iRacing and this was the main reason that made me abandon it!

3. slo

slo Registered

Maybe someone think that its racedriving when it's become difficult :).

But in real life is an Racecar easier to handle as an "normal" car - reason: racecar is optimized for traction and high corner speed (Downforce, Slicks, Suspension). The goal is to push the griplevel for a maximum of cornerspeed. the only moment in real life, which could compared with the "normal" mode in rf2, is when light rain begins and the warm slicks became cold (because of whater contact) and the track is a little bit wet and becomes slippy by combination of water and dust on road.

4. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

how many horses and torque on your e30?

5. Banger

Banger Registered

+1 , I try the clio's and it like Drifting around amost every corner. track was Melbourne, but I don't think it the tracks that are the problem.brakes slides has soon has you touch them,.

6. Alesi

Alesi Registered

+100500.. agree with you.. its too slippery especially on non rubbered track

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Apparently, tires aren't very easy to do well, and there are differences between lower and higher speeds concerning grip levels and slip angles. I even heard that some sims use different algorithms for low and high speed driving and blending between the two results. In any event, I surely expect it will be improved upon.

What I do find in any sim so far, is that I can do times in any car on any track, drive the car over the limit, stuff I would not have the guts for in real life. In real life if you hear the squeel of a tire, that doesn't necessarily mean you are on the limit, you might just be nearing the ballpark! When we are overdriving in our sims or just finding the limit, it's quite easy to mistake that for no grip or an icy feeling. I'm not saying this is what is happening and every sim is perfect on low speeds, but who knows some truth might be involved.

8. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Learn to drive... because grip is fine (I don't know if perfect, but not as bad as some people says after two overdriving laps), and also completely provable through MoTeC, especially paying attention to cornering G-force.

Also you can compare how much real drivers push gas pedal and turn the wheel, and you will see that if you do that, you will go fast. Test with Marussia F1 for example and see.

You can see also a lot of videos in YouTube with no grip problems with no aids, you only have to learn to drive :D

Three different cars with no aids, all online race laps. You can hear they push throttle with no problems, they know how to drive... be precise with steering wheel, don't push over limits... first of all is to drive, and then push and go fast. Is a simulator but try to do as you would do with your car, care and patience.

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Whats the bet you are actually driving much much faster in rF2 than you think you are. What I have always seen in sims is people pushing way too hard for what grip is actually available. Sometimes you see them runoff, followed by complaints about either the car, setup, or game.
    I'm not saying the game is perfect, just saying what I've seen over the years.

I watched a Moto2 race at LeMans a few days ago. slick tyres on bikes, kinda cold, and starting to rain. Laptimes had dropped over 5 seconds when tge rain started to come down, yet pretty much all the riders still looked in great control, no crazy sliding, still racing. I bet if thid was an online race, people would be all over the place, racing off what their memory was telling them, rather than actually driving and adapting to what grip is available.

10. Domi

Domi Registered

Even rFactor and NetKar Pro, but that's for very, very low speeds, close to 0, as there are certain instabilities.

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

In addition to those vids above. Plenty grippy for me, and on default setup too, which so many people poo poo all the time.

12. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Sometimes proffesional drivers have mistakes due lack of grip :eek: ¡With Clios! real world need updated physics. I know is a little wet track in video, but in rFactor 2 I can do that turn full throttle with some water in track.

Track day fail under braking and downshifting [1:30], what speed! that tire lock isn't real :eek::

And other weird low grip mistake:

When you are in a sim, you don't feel how much you are pushing, because of that sometimes you get the impression is easy to spin, but is because this I'm saying... you are pushing more than you feel.

PS: there are a lot of videos with this kind of control losts due mistakes or bad driving.

I think ther is not lack of grip... full throttle at last corner! :D something that everyone can do being precise with steering wheel.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  13. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

Lol. You think rf2 had bad grip, try iracing. Rf2 is like the whole track is sprayed with vht compared to iracing.

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I don't think rF2 simulate grip levels 100% realistic, but I know for sure it's not like driving on ice or oil! If you feel that way, try to take the next corners slower than you think that you actually can, lol... That should solve the problem :p

All tracks have different grip levels. You have to take it easy from the beginning... you better start driving too slow than too fast. Increase speed for every lap. Adapt your cornering speed for the track. It's the same grip for all your opponents too.

15. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Actually, I'm curious... How many of you who claim RF2 is like driving on ice have actually driven on ice? Because I can tell you if RF2's grip levels were that bad, we probably wouldn't be doing much racing...... :p

I know you guys are exaggerating... I still find it funny :)

16. CraigT

CraigT Registered

I also agree on how unrealistic it is!!
    I have crashed several cars in all my years of driving and I have noticed that when I crash in rF2 and all other sims, I don't get hurt. How realistic is that?
    Come on ISI..make us feel the pain!!!
    Bunch of spoiled brats!

17. Banger

Banger Registered

lol, you find i'm a lot older.:)

18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

WTF? learning to drive?! what does the hell grip do with driving?!

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

WTF? learning to drive?! what does the hell grip do with " learn driving"?!

20. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Because I'm in a league (I say this a lot of times) where every time we have a new driver learning with rFactor, and now with rFactor 2, he says "oooh, this is ICE!! impossible to race and get good times U.u". After one week training with other drivers, asking, learning, then they say "ooooh, nice! this is great! I only need more practice, I'm not good as bests, but this feels good", and after few months, they say to new drivers that "Megane Trophy is a SuperGlue car, Clio easy to drive, and if you want to dance try Corvette...".

When me and my friends try to teach new drivers we see how they overdrive the car, the push too much pedals, brake, gas, no precision in steering wheel. Is something completely normal, they don't feel how hard they're pushing, is the "problem" of simulators, is hard to know if you are overdriving the car through you screen and your wheel.

I myself have had these problems first time with Marussia F1, I didn't how to drive It. But after two days training, no pushing the car, only driving with care and no crashing, I learned how to drive It and that car is a "limpet"! the same first time I driver Skip Barber, I spent some days trying that car really frustrated because I wasn't able to do an entire lap with no spinning... but when you learn to drive the car is easy to drive.

I did something like this guy every time I tried to do a lap... this guy apparently doesn't make any mistake, but car spins, 2 times in less than half a lap :D

I'm trying to say that with no "expert hands", the car can do really bad moves when apparently you are doing It well. And knowing the car you can feel how much grip cars have.

PS: cars have nice gri... If not, How were we able to do that laps that Minibull and I showed here? and that laps are not the best... I see every day really fast drivers pushing full throttle in turns you can't imagine :D not everyone has the skills to do fastest laps... one will do 1:34 and others will do 1:38, and the second one is not driving on ice despite he is spining every 4 laps, he just is not a good driver.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013