Grip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slo, May 22, 2013.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

I too think there are a couple of cars that display somewhat questionable rear end grip at seeminglow low speeds, but this seemed to be consistent with these cars building up excess heat in the rear tyres under heavy braking whereby the rears overheat too easily and lose all manner of grip. This obviously happens in tight corners requiring heavy braking prior to entry. The cars I found most effected by this were the Vette and GTR.

Problem with Jameswesty's complaint is that he is basically saying ALL cars have grip issues and that the physics engine has underlying problems. Of course it is then suggested that mods will fix this which seems rather impossible if the underlying physics engine is at fault. Having said that, most of the other cars seem to handle delightfully and are perfectly controllable as grip starts to give way so a general statement about rf2 physics as a whole seems overstated.

2. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

rf2 has some great cars, but it also has some "unbelievable" cars like the vette and GTR=crap physics.

3. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I think it's more of a case that there's two categories of cars, good and bad.

Good....

60F2
    60F3
    Megane
    BT20
    GT4Clio
    Both skippys

Bad.

Vette
    GTR
    F3.5
    Marussia
    etc.

4. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I agree, the whole point of low weight, weight distribution, chassis dynamics, tyre specs, etc are too allow for terrific grip levels that wiggle near the limit, plus, those fat and flat tyres should have good feedback by virtue of their design.
    I had a drive of a new Camry Hybrid{awesome car in many ways} but real junk to drive fast, especially with the air pressures and tyre specs as the car is too bouncy and trying to find the limit of grip is incredibly dangerous.....of course, race engineers know this and as such build fat and flat race slicks to maximize the contact patch.

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I find them one of the best out there. Pure joy to drive fast. Very very fast. At low speed they are a bit dull. Driving them on the limit is pure pleasure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

F2Chump...back with his pearls of wisdom!

7. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Can't help it if the truth hurts champ!!

8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

What wheel do you have?
    {me=G27}

9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

5 year old G25 (still in top condition)

10. baked bean

baked bean Registered

+1 ;)

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

F3.5 is awesome, if you can't get on with it then thats noones fault but your own. Vette's rear is weird in low grip situations (green track), rubbered in it's fine. GTR is pretty good overall now from videos I've seen but haven't tried it yet. I think some of you blame physics engines just because u don't know how to feel a car properly.

Edit: these are my opinions as of a few months ago, I havent played rf2 in a while to be honest, but from everything I've read and seen, things have only gone uphill.

I'm not saying they're perfect, but to say they are just straight up complete crap? Lol go take a walk

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  12. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Nothing to laugh about at my end unfortunately, as the cars I listed have FFB, weight transfer, grip issues, however, some of the other cars feel close to perfect.
    I find it odd{as do some at Racedepartment}, that ISI can produce some sensational cars, yet others are clearly botched and no amount of "you can't drive these handful of cars even though you can drive all the others and all the other sims" comments are going to change the fact.

As for feel....some of them just bypass the process altogether, LOL.
    Btw, when I was racing GTR EVO and a new driver would ask for help, they almost always improved and it eventually made sense, ie, the application of racing technique regardless of how accurate the physics on that game is.

It's the same with all the other sims I played, I eventually got to a peak point where I couldn't go any faster, but the cars felt better and more detailed the faster you went, but trying that in rf2's botched cars results in WTF moments.

13. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

I would say that it is getting to know them.
    There is no right or wrong car.
    Bad driver or bad setup will be more appropriate.
    I had trouble before with these so-called bad car but I've learned to adjust the default cars that made ​​me and since I'm having fun.

It's bad when you can not do it lol

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Yo....race driving technique is the same for all cars, plus I used to win tonnes of races with RACE07's F3000 ower.....so high speed ow cars are one of my favourites.

15. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Megane at Estoril was very grippy and anytime I made a mistake it all made sense, the Vette however is botched as it has turntable physics which oversteer the hell out of the car on top of the tragic grip levels.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

hahaha you couldn't be more wrong! again goes to show your lack of understanding and yet again if you can't drive a particular car you give the same old lame excuse "it's the cars/physics/games fault"

17. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Well I must be lucky then as i like driving all the cars in rfactor 2, mostly the faster cars like C6R, MR01, FIA f2, FR3.5, Brabham, 60's F1 & F2, and last but not least Datsun GTR. I wonder if people realise that the engine is in the front of the gtr, also whilst watching the race at Silverstone the other week the commentator was saying how different the gtr is to the rest of the field, how much bigger it is, and also saying its more car than sports car compared to the rest of field too.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Me too... there`s cars I struggle more with than others, obviously, but in general I like driving everything in rf2.

And imo rf2 in general will mature like a very, very fine wine so everything is just going to get better.

I think it was your good self bb that suggested the MR01 at Mills Outer Loop B... now that`s a really good combo imo. I`m having some really good driving/fun with this combo.

:cool:

19. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Very interesting. Maybe you want beat me for my following words :D
    I've no real life racing expirience with car's and not much experience with other sim's then rF2 and rF but there is three setting that solves many issues for me.
    I think it was after the car upgrade to version 1.4x .
    After this upgrade I changed my ffb multiplier (for the most cars) up between 1.04 and 1.08 (for example for the marrusia I use a higher setting then for the F 3.5) and smoothing down to 0 for all (set smoothing to 0 in most cases this works well only for rF2 designed Tracks).
    With this setting it is much easier for me to control the rear for example during accelerating out of corners or control the car during hard braking . I can feel how the car want break out left or right during heavy braking on the straight in front of a corner and I can feel much better if the wheels lock up during the braking. Now the wear of my tyres is also much slower. (I try also to setup the car not to stiff )

@F1Champ
    For the F 3.5 you can chosse in the options different RC settings which make a huge difference how you feel the weight transfer and grip. Small difference with this parameters make a huge difference. Have you tried out different settings?
    For me was Portugal a good track to figure out this things.

I use a Fanatec CSR-E with CSP-V2 Pedals.
    Can't say maybe (if the ffb works linear) the ffb is now in high speed or high downforce cases to much comparing to a real life situation but for me it feels not wrong :p

Not sure if this is the reason but in the controller.ini there are settings for brake effects on the wheel. I played with this settings and I think it improved the ffb under heavy braking conditions and I use Fanaled plugin to activate the brake pedal ffb.

Has somebody tried out this or can confirm my expirience ?
    Feel free to disagree :D

20. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I forgot about that combo, they go well together a nice challenge tjc :D