Quick dev update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, May 7, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Because that info gets outside this community, while the little info I posted won't.

2. 88mphTim

Quite a good deal, IMHO.

3. 88mphTim

What does "feel like crap" mean? Physics?

GTR Evo had the benefit of using an established engine another dev produced for them. And it's worth looking at iRacing's development history, not just what you see today. :) If you're going to compare products, you can't overlook the fact that you're comparing what one product ended up being after time, versus what another ended up being after a different amount of time. For me, the comparisons are invalid completely. :)

4. 88mphTim

Is that what your previous post actually meant? I actually think that was his point, that your post didn't get to a point at all. Which is why he stated it wasn't constructive, because it wasn't. I couldn't even tell what you were talking about.

5. 88mphTim

I'd argue you were nowhere near the limit of what you were throwing around. :)

6. 88mphTim

Again, you didn't have anything constructive to say. And now you're attacking someone for pointing it out. You're making assumptions and being prejudice about anyone who disagrees with you. "Half the cars are quite good, the other half feel like crap to me." says absolutely NOTHING about what aspects you have an issue with, or even which cars are in one group or another for you. So, you were NOT constructive, and all you've ended up doing is arguing that fact with comments against the person who brought it up to you. Learn from this, please, and perhaps you'll have more positive attention paid back to you.

7. 88mphTim

Nothing to stop them opening a thread to discuss it and having the same silly arguments over semantics and calling each other fanboys or whatever.

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Thanks for the reply, TIM! I didn't think you'd answer, and now I'm getting excited for the new content.

So my wild guess about the BTCC car. Team Hard had an American driver for one race last year and they run a Vauxhall which is a wholly owned subsidiary of GM. The Corvette is a GM product. So there it is- Team Hard Vauxhall :p

As for the career mode, its not really possible until we can implement rules for the AI. We can do rudimentary races with free form optional pit stops or sprints with no stops but most series have required pitstops or special tire/pitstops rules. So until we can tell the AI to pit at such and such time and to use these tires and these tires etc its not really possible. It's not just an issue of tallying up points. I know you guys are working on this and I'm sure it'll come, I'm just throwing this out in response to the earlier post about championships offline.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  9. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Agree with Tim, for example :
    For the replay, you say it's less good that I-Racing's replay
    I agree with you, but it's better to say what for us is bad.
    For me only one thing can improve the feel like a real one.
    Graphism are good, car's move on track too. But the camera's mouvements are too focused on the car.
    here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXV7VCcx2U - you can see the camera don't stay with car strictly in middle of the screen. There are a kind of latency mouvement like real one, with zoom and de-zoom.
    Make this on replay in RF2 that will be a great improvement for the impression of seeing a real movie.

10. Skynet

Skynet Registered

Thanks for the update Tim :), looking forward to the new content... however there is a big hole in my heart that can only be filled by either A: Michelle pfeiffer or B: A Kart in rf2.

I'm a realistic guy Tim, i know she's not interested:(. But if you have any new's on the Kart it would help. thanks. .... No pressure ;)

11. frankwer

frankwer Registered

Ah well, we should be happy that this forum is not dead and rF2 still in development, we got alot of things waiting for us (builds, cars, tracks, arguing, rage, happiness, kiss and make up, etc etc). Although we all will be 80++ when all this is finished.

12. Wheelzpin

Wheelzpin Registered

Thanks for the update. I like having an idea what's being worked on.

As I read through this long and rather convoluted thread, I was reminded of a question that's been bothering me about rF2 for quite a while. Maybe Tim can provide an answer. The question is this: What exactly is rFactor 2 about? By that I mean, what is it supposed to be?

I don't see it as a racing simulator, because there's really nothing in it for setting up any sort of season or championship, no method for capturing points, penalties, etc.

I don't see it as a race car simulator either. While there are some things you can adjust in the garage, there are many more aspects about a race car that aren't simulated. rFactor 2 doesn't cover a particular period or type or region, either, so all of that's out.

The best I can come up with, is that rF2 is something of a Track Day sim. You can take a car of your choice (if it's been created) onto the track of your choice (again, if it's been built), and turn some laps under various day/night, track, and weather conditions. You can make some adjustments and even do a little impromptu racing against the AI or some friends online. Winner gets bragging rights.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. If that's the point of it, it seems to do it pretty well. But my question to Tim still stands. What is rFactor 2 supposed to be?

13. Nibo

Nibo Registered

For me and many others rF2 (and rF1, and any other sim) is an online simulation of real world racing events and championships. We have our communities, leagues, sites, portals and forums, we run seasons regularly with rules close as much as possible to real life. Virtual NASCAR, F1, DRM, DTM, WTCC, GT - you-name-it championships. Thats simracing for me: offline trainings and then 1-3 championship races a week in a good (but certainly moderated and operating according to our rules) company.

14. 88mphTim

There's certainly an element of 'what did i do that race for' offline, with no championship in the sim, but really that doesn't stop me racing offline... So it's still a racing sim offline. Online, it's like most other sims, you have races for bragging rights, or you join a league and run a championship.

15. jjcook

jjcook Registered

har har....its number 2 of whatever rfactor 1 was.....but seriously....its a 'racing simulator'.....you can simulate racing...i'm currently in a couple of championships for points ...so you cant say it doesn't do that...what you mean is its not really 'a game'.....a game lets you use the racing simulator to play a game of a championship.....a real championship is simulated in a league with real people in my mind....but what do i know...i gave up racing AI back in gpl days....i used to use ai to set particular lap times with and try to keep up....now we have a ghost car so i dont even need ai'......"ai shmai" say i ..

16. doug484

doug484 Registered

Being able to race an OFFline championship (I am not interested in ONline) with points, etc, was my favorite thing about rFactor1. I would hope this Offline championship functionality for rFactor2 is on someone's to-do list.

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

How 'bout Michelle pfeiffer in rf2?

18. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

It should be one of the most basic things in a racing sim. Select the cars, pick the tracks, set the rules and off you go.

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

20. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Is this going to happen in RF2?