Progress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Nov 26, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Um, yes. But if you're giving another 9 years and 2 months I'd say you shouldn't be too disappointed, either.

2. rer8

rer8 Registered

I continue to enjoy the product that has been made available to us. Thanks you for keeping us informed.:cool:

1 person likes this.
  3. 88mphTim

1. I don't recall saying it first, maybe someone else from ISI did. But only ever as an estimation. And it was pretty obvious when those 6 months were up, especially when we posted it everywhere, like the news page of rfactor.net, here in the forums, etc, that it was going to be longer, when it was longer that 6 months.
    2. No, actually it isn't close at all. I can guarantee you that my responses are usually quite measured, which is something I cannot say about those I am responding to some of the time. The times I have stepped too far (out of frustration at repeating myself mainly), I have apologized, and I usually have to walk away from the forum entirely for a bit. I think I have had to do that twice since 2010.
    3. It became abusive. Do you think this thread, just as a wild but extremely easy example, would still be open if you were correct? Read the forum rules if you don't understand why things get closed. It's pretty simple. And remember, I have to go on the thread as a whole, not just how you're feeling.

Yes, you are being personal. You may not feel it, but you are. I'm responding to you, that's all, there's no real tone to it, I'm just typing the words I feel it takes to help myself be understood. I said I will not going to estimate on dates anymore, because I can't. You're taking that as "p... off". How is that not you being personal, exactly?

4. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I you feel so, I honestly apologise for it.
    even though we have obvious differences, you seem to be very involved over here which I respect.

5. Ha3aP

Ha3aP Registered

Is not the term, the fact is that is not clear about what will happen tomorrow, what do developers! If the game and will be released in 10 years, but developers will share their plans and to improve the game for such a process it will be interesting to watch! Now the night without the moon! Nothing is clear!

Today's news ... Yes, it's funny, you'd think you have stated about the release date and comforted it! Such news should sound a lot more! I paid for a product and I want to get it! That's all ;)

I can not understand - why are you surprised such harsh criticism?

6. 88mphTim

I'm not surprised, it's common in the industry. I never said I was surprised by any kind of reaction and/or feedback. Did I?

However, I'll ask you to find one software developer (of any kind) which is doing what you're asking us to do: A fully public timetable of development and release.

Nobody does it, because it'll be sooo much worse. Development doesn't work to a timetable, the first time you have a probem (WHICH EVERY DEVELOPMENT DOES), you're in real trouble...

The only time any date is given, is when a marketing department (who usually don't understand anything about software development) push a release date. Then what the development team usually does, is puts out an inferior product (what they could get done), with a handful of really bad bugs (they didn't have time to fix) and they get SLAMMED for that, too. This goes off for distribution, and then the developer usually has to release a patch on the day of release, and a number of patches afterwards. You'll find LOTS of examples of this in the modern era, because the marketing department (the publisher) usually runs the show in this kind of thing.

Believe me, I know how it feels as a consumer, but I also know the reality of the developer.

We don't have a publisher, we run our own show, and we're not going to give you an inferior product. How terrible.

7. 88mphTim

No need to apologize. Different interpretation.

Please do read the rules though, we don't moderate the hell out of this forum. That thread closing just probably gave you a bad feeling.

8. Ha3aP

Ha3aP Registered

I understand you perfectly, I have been modding and I know that this time. But I'm not asking you to give the exact date. Well, today you gave news what to do in the moment. You can give this news a week (for ISI once every two weeks)?

For example:
    1 News:
    03/12/2012 - We are hard at work implementing the new graphics. We plan to improve the shader glass and сarmat.

2 news:
    17/12/2012 - team goes on a vacation to the holidays for 1 month.

3 News:
    21/01/2013 - in the next two weeks, we are planning to release a new build. It will be such a change (...) With the release of the data may change. (and added some screenshots)

4 news:
    04/02/2013 - new release builds. It changes ...

Tell me pls, Tim, is not it possible to make such a decision difficult?

Thanks for your answers, you agreeable companion and I really hope that my proposal to be taken seriously!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english!

9. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Man, how cool would it be to have rfactor on console, even if it would be a "little brother" to pc version, or more like a gateway drug LOL. RBR was on ps2 and that was amazing IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
  10. 88mphTim

That just creates hype, which really is going to cause more problems. If only the existing community read those things, it would make sense. You know we're working and you see everything (ready for release, which we don't hold for whatever reason) we did since the last update, when we release the next one.

Since the last update I've announced a car (very gently, little hype) and put out a few screenshots of it. Frankly, that's enough. We're not going to blast out everything we're doing until we are out of this stage of development. Unfortunately you'll probably get the communication you want AFTER Gold, because that's when we'll be pushing for customers. Right now we don't want them coming in and getting confused.

Edit: And your English is good. :)

11. Ha3aP

Ha3aP Registered

The excitement now because the news twice a year. ))
    But, I asked a question - I've got the answer. Thank you!

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Rofl

13. Ha3aP

Ha3aP Registered

And in order that there was an order moderators ;)

14. Hectari

Hectari Registered

15. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Ah...Information=Hype. Okay, don't see it myself, but if that is the equation your working with no wonder we see so little. But that is perhaps the clearest explanation I have seen you give...maybe you have said exactly this before and I have just missed it.

Well that is the last you'll hear from me on the subject of more info...You have responded to me often enough for it to be clear you know my opinion and that is good enough. I'm sure I will find another subject that can meet my popcorn needs ;)

16. 88mphTim

It doesn't need to be the last we hear. I know this flies in the face of what I've said above (I'm an enigma), but we do still want to hear this 'argument'. As long as it's done nicely, we need to know what people want. Just because we're not going to give it to you, doesn't mean we don't need to know you want it... Make sense?

I'd be fearful of us becoming complacent about something if we don't get an occasional reminder about it. I've intended all along to market the product more when we felt it was right to, and that does include things like:
    "We just signed a license with x!"
    "We're visiting x to get data!"
    "The guys just started building x!"
    "X is in testing!"
    Some screenshots of X.
    Video of X.
    Download link to X.

That's what I think will be NORMAL communication about each piece of content once we want to pull people in more.

I've never had a problem with honest, respectful, feedback. We need that. What we don't need (and won't take) is abuse, name calling, etc. But nobody has done anything like that in this thread. :)

17. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Never would sink to abuse, it's unpleasant to read even when it is not directed at you, and counter productive in the whole.

You do know of course about the only folk not "hyping" Rf2 are the more negative posters and ISI. The rest of us are all convincing our racing buddies to give it a go.

Anyhoo I'm off to play some music and get a little unnecessary :cool:

18. nuggetz

nuggetz Registered

Man I've been away longer than I thought. How many updates have their been since the beginning of the year? Does anyone have dates on when updates were released? I don't even know how recent my version is. I know it's the latest since I did a fresh install but I'd like to know when the latest update came out and where to find the release notes.

In the spirit of this thread, I'd like to thank ISI for the communications and especially Tim for being here and responding to everyone's concerns. - good and bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

?
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1396-Downloads

for release dates look at dates of Tims posts/release notes.

20. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

Exactly my thoughts. I'm really enjoying rf2 as_it_is at the moment, and I'm glad to be able to participate in the beta as it gets better with every new build. Keep up the good work!