BRM P83 1966 w.i.p - beginner need some help

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Hedlund_90, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

The frame look correct anyway. But it's strange how the wireframe disappears. But this is my progress so far. It's going very slowly now. I'm working on small details and I'm improving parts that I made in the beginning... so it's no big progress. I work a lot too, so don't have very much time.

[​IMG]

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Its going swell. Keep at it, dont rush.

(your work is your top priority anyway)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

Looking really good Hedlund. :)

4. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Definitely looking forward to this one. Such a unique car... even if it was crap. :D

5. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Haha yes, engine was crap. This model (P83) was the only one that run successfully with it (according to wikipedia, lol). But not very successful after all... But unique, yes.

Lotus also had the BRM H16 engine and somehow Jim Clark managed to take a win at Watkins Glen with it :cool: H16's only win.

6. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I added polycount in one image. What do you guys think about it so far? Too high?
    I still have details to do on the engine. And then gearbox, all suspension stuff, the wheels and finally the cockpit that should be very detailed :eek:

However, I have worked very hard and many hours with the main body and nose. I hope you can see some small difference. I think it definitely look much better, much smoother. I also improved the valve cover (last pic) and when I dublicated it to 4, I noticed a polycount-boost that was.... scary :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

That was what I was going to say!

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Good to hear that someone else see the difference too :D

9. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

IIRC, Jackie Stewart said the P83 was the worst car he'd ever driven. Still looks great, though! ;)

As much as I like detail, I think I'd recommend just doing the ribs on the valve covers with a bump map instead of in 3D. Same for the screw heads too, probably.

Nice stuff :)

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

And IIRC, it was the P115 he was talking about ;) But if that is the case, then the P83 would probably be the second then!

Okay! I don't even know what bump map is. Or, I searched it now, so I have a clue but I'm not sure. Do you mean it will look better or would it be better for polycount/performance? :)

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It depends, bump map needs another texture, which take gpu ram and also slows down, sometimes I believe it is better to model detail, but sometimes bumpmap works too. Like for example tyre's thread, modelling thread might take huge amount of polys and work, but with bump map it is easier to make and probably faster to run too.

NVIDIA has some DDS utility which I have heard, but that is something good for making bump maps. However I have not so far succeeded in making any good bump map, something I look forward learning to.

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

hedlund, bump maps are generally image files that simulate holes. if you apply them on surface, they take min gpu than sculpturing.
    I think thats the general idea, cheating sculpturing with very good results.
    Usually, you apply them with an image, the result is, that it seems 3d while its just 2d and needing a fraction of gpu in rendering compared to 3d.

(I just hope Im not confusing you)

13. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you for the explaination :) I have to take a look at bump maps before proceed with tires then. I have thought about the tires, that it must be extremely messy with all polys but if this is how to do it, then it makes things much easier (maybe...)

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

If anyone knows any good tutorial for bump maps then give me a link! How to make tires too!

15. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

No you're not! I understand what you mean. I just have to try to understand it better and learn how to use it. I will not change anything I've done so far but I can use it for many parts that will come sooner or later, probably :)

16. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

This is just amazing work! Just one question Hedlund: When you said you are a complete newbie, did you mean new to rFactor modding, or new to 3D modelling. Because this absolutely doesn't look like a first try modelling...

But I think the polygon count will be a bit high. I've been said that one of the best models for rF1 did have about 35.000 polygons. Don't know any numbers for rF2, but when you go on detailing thing like this you will for sure reach the 100.000 polys. I gues this will be interesting how the new engine can handle models that are this highly detailed.

Just as a hint:
    Try to get it on track just as it is now and see how it works as kind of a pre-alpha. Just set up the car in general, import the physics from the ISI historic formula1 and see how the performance works out.

greets

17. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you very much! Yes this is my very first car model :)

Yes I know I should really try to get it on track very soon (or maybe I should have done it long time ago). But for that I probably need 4 wheels. At least I should try to get it to load in car-menu. But maybe I need wheels for that too...

About the polys, if I understand it correctly, then rf2 should be able to handle 100.000+ (?) But of course I will try too keep it as low as I can.

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thats where textures and bump maps help a lot.

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

For tires you mean?

20. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Haha, I made 4 quick tires. It looks like a toy car! But anyway, could I get this into my game?

[​IMG]