BRM P83 1966 w.i.p - beginner need some help

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Hedlund_90, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Today I got rid of 10k tris only from valve covers, in 10 minutes. Simply by making an insignificant little part less detailed...

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Was trying to get started with the folders for my car in devmode as described in "car modding workflow" tutorial. But it's just confusing me and I was once again remembered why I skipped these documents and started my model instead. I have created a map "BRM_P83" and renamed files, but I don't fully understand wich files that is supposed to be renamed in "teams" folder.

I also don't understand how to unpack MAS files. I searched for the "MAS2.exe" everywhere before I realised it was the "Gmotor tools" that I have to download somewhere. I don't know where because it's not in the modding downloads thread. I googled it and find some gmotor tools. Downloaded it and tried it. Didnt work, I think it was for old rfactor because it was called "MAS.exe" not MAS2.exe.

I feel like the "tutorials" are not for beginners but for more experienced modders that have to learn how it works in the new rfactor... But maybe not, maybe I'm stupid. I'm stuck right in the beginning of the tutorial and loosing interest :(

3. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Ok Hedlund_90, i can help you find the MAS2.exe if you have a standard installation of rF2.
    Go to Documents/rFactor2/Support/Tools, you should find MAS2.exe there.As for the rest i cannot
    help,sorry, but please keep up the good work.:)

4. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you :D

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Ehhhh...

If this is you first mod you've to get an extra amount of patience...:)

I suggest you the easy (ISI) way:

You need a Mod suffix (the name of the mod in the file structure). So in your case could be "BRM_P83".

Now you've to copy and paste everything from the rTrainer to your new project BRM_P83.

PAY ATTENTION YOU'RE NOW WORKING ON THE COPY!!! I suggest you to copy and paste the rtrainer folder from the devmode to another location...just in case you messed up with original files instead your copies...:)

Rename everything in your copied folders with your BRM_P83 instead the previous suffix (rtrainer/rter).

As you can see with the rTrainer you get two suffix: rtrainer_ and rter_, so you've to rename these two suffix with your own.

Open your team folder and take just 1 car instead 2.

To do this you've to delete these files;

rter_02.veh
    rter_02icon.dds
    rter_03SMicon.dds
    rtrainer_02.dds

And rename other files like this;

BRM_P83_01.veh
    BRM_P83_01icon.dds
    BRM_P83_01SMicon.dds
    BRM_P83_01.dds
    BRM_P83_01DRIVER.dds

Open the .veh file with a text editor (I suggest you the Notepad++) and find and replace these suffix;

Find "rter", replace with BRM_P83
    Find "rtrainer", replace with BRM_P83

Save and close the file.

Now your .veh file is pointing to your BRM_P83 contents.

Go to your main Mod folder (should be called BRM_P83) and open the .gen file (should be renamed as BRM_P83.gen).

Search for this line;

Instance=SLOT<ID>

Select everything AFTER this line and delete.

You should have a stuff like this:

Code:
    SearchPath=<VEHDIR>

SearchPath=BRM_P83
    SearchPath=<VEHDIR>BRM_P83\maps
    SearchPath=<VEHDIR>cmaps_maps
    SearchPath=BRM_P83\maps
    MASFile=BRM_P83\BRM_P83.mas
    MASFile=cmaps.mas

//----------------------------------------

Instance=SLOT<ID>

Save the file but do not close it.

Now open the spinner file (in your case should be BRM_P83_Spinner.gen) and select all and delete all.

Copy and paste everything from your previous .gen file (the one you've just edited)...and paste into the spinner file.

Save and close both.

Open the car psychic file. In you case should be named as BRM_P83.hdv

As before;

Find "rtrainer" and replace with "BRM_P83". You should get 7 matches.

Save and close.

At this stage of development you can use the rTrainer sounds, so you've just to rename the .sfx file without change anything inside it. As before your .sfx should be named BRM_P83.sfx.

Open the tire file that in your case should be named as BRM_P83.tbc.

Find and replace "rTrainer" with "BRM_P83". You should get 2 matches.

Now you've to create your assets folders into your main BRM_P83 folder.

Create the MAPs folder.

Open the rtrainer.mas (in your case your renamed BRM_P83.mas), select all end export everything into your MAPs folder. Remember you've to export everything, GMTs, DDS, TGA etc....into the same MAPs folder.

Now select all except the BLACK.DDS file into the mas archive and delete. Save and close your new mas file, with just the black.dds inside it.

Go into your MAPs folder and rename the RTER_ suffix with your BRM_P83_ suffix.

You can use a mass file renamer software like this http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php.

Now you've everything almost ready to work in the game, except your .GEN files.

You can use the ISI guide to proceed for these 2 files. You've just to follow the tutorial, using your file istance names. I don't know what parts you can export at this stage...so I can't help you for .gen files, but the tutorial is well written and pretty easy to understand.

Of course you need to map your model with some basic shaders, as the tutorial suggest.

Good luck! ;)

PS: Maybe I miss something...so if you get some stupid error let me know..:)
    PS2: Of course this procedure get you the rTrainer physic with your car body...so this is just a starting procedure to see your car in the game...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Looks nice, Hedlund. :)

Does anybody have contact details for Mexes? I have asked at various sites, but I guess their priorities were elsewhere. lol

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Haha, I didn't mean it. I was tired and quite irritated :)

Thank you for explaining, I will give it a new try today!

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

First I did not use mas files at all, I just added folder mas to rTrainer folder, then added searchpath to rtrainer.gen and replaced rtrainer body mesh entries with model that I used. Well, actually it was ZR and rF1, but same applies.

I did of course make backups first, but that way I could worry physics etc later. In HDV file, setting wheelbase and wheel track to correct values should position wheels correctly and it also adjusts wheel loctions and suspension arm locations in .pm file so no need to worry about that either at first.

So if it starts to feel complicated you can try such method too, even it is bit of butchering.

9. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

The plugins that I've placed in 3ds 2012 max won't load. Error message says "error code 193: is not a vaild Win32 application". Are plugins for win32?

10. Tuttle

You need a 32bit version of 3dsmax*, and the 2012 plugin into the plugin max folder...plus you've to copy & paste the coreshaders.mas (C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Core\Shared) into the \hardwareshaders folder.

You can force the 32bit installation using the setup32.exe you find in the max installation folder... a place like this:

C:\Autodesk\Autodesk_3ds_Max_2012_English_Win_32-64bit\

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thanks, now I think it's working. No error messages at least.

I have now done everything you told me to. (that bulk rename thing was very adaptable)

So.. guess I now should be able to see my BRM_P83 in showroom but it will look like rtrainer?

12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

No, it don't show up in game. I can pick "BRM_P83" but in showroom it's emty. The rtrainer should be visible?

13. Tuttle

Well...before get your car in the showroom, you've to export your main car parts (body, tires) and put these parts into your .gen files.

The rTrainer is just visibile in the mod Icon as a render picture (just a .dds image), until you create your personal mod icon. :)

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Aha, ok. So everything is like it should be? :eek: I can barely understand half of all filename changes and links I've changed today!

15. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

There's another thing in the tutorial I can't understand. The tutorial is referring to a folder called mas several times. I guess they mean the map folder because it was there I extracted the mas-file content?

I have to ask just to make sure I have not miss a step.

16. Tuttle

Yes sir! :)

This is a typical folder structure;

View attachment 3360

I'm using those other folders just to keep my resources in the same Mod folder...but this is not mandatory.

You need just the yellow folders and all those files in the main Mod folder.

17. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have now deleted 74 gmt files in my maps folder. I guess it's right because tutorial says so, but it feels strange to delete most of files I've recently been renaming :confused:

However I don't understand what they want me to do next:

[​IMG]

Now when I already have built the car body, should I have that scene opened in 3ds max when completing this step? I need to apply the "test_car_body" material to every part that I have created?

And I'm not sure about what "gMat" is?

18. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Great! Now I need your help again if you have time. I can't thank you enough for helping me with this :)

19. Tuttle

Did you know how to work with materials and istance elements IDs? Just to know which level I've to use to explain...:)

1 person likes this.
  20. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

No, not at all :eek: