BRM P83 1966 w.i.p - beginner need some help

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Hedlund_90, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Hi guys. I'm starting this thread mainly because I think it's a good way to find help when it's needed (and that would be all the time). I'm totally new to modelling and I've been using 3ds max 2012 for nearly a week. I have created a main body and working alongside with a radiator and the engine because I'm uncertain of what to do first of all. Feels like I have millions of questions, and I can't even download the 'official' tutorial for car modding. I'm searching google all the time but don't find very much. The greatest questions right now are:

1. How to organize all objects I'm creating? Right now I have only 3 objects: Body, radiator and engine. All smaller parts have I attached to it's belonging object (like the small tube or any other small detail) I've attached it to the radiator so it's just one piece. Is this the correct way to do it, or should there be many small pieces that I place in a GROUP called "radiator" instead? And have radiator, tube, expansion tank etc in that group?

2. Can I create all suspension/brakes/steering parts now, and add their functions later? I mean I don't know yet how to make suspension work properly in-game so I just want to model the parts first. Or should I wait?

3. The cockpit... How detailed should it be? I mean, is there different detail-levels from different views in-game? Inside while driving, from tv-camera etc. And how do I know how to place the seat and steering wheel exactly in the right place for the driver?

4. Low, medium, high and max. Do I have to do different versions of this car for the different quality settings in-game? Then how?

As you can tell, I'm total noob :cool: Links to any guides/tutorials describing what I'm asking for is much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, it's the damn BRM H16 engine I'm working on, that Jackie Stewart thought was better suited as an ship's anchor than in a racing car ;) I was a bit confused in the beginning and wondered wich model i was really working on? The blueprint I found said it was the P261. But that model never carried the H16 engine. I've been searching the net like mad, and decided it is the P83. Wich seem to have different appearance. I've seen pics of P83's nose similar to the former model P261 (this is what I'm modelling right now), and P83's with a more angular nose with different intakes and with the big pipes running alongside the cockpit, from radiator to engine. That was the model that appeared in old GPL game I think. Anyway I think the Spark's physics would suit this car well, or should it be even more tricky to drive? No one will ever drive it :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    Mauro likes this.
  2. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Well mate i can't give you any advice on the modelling (looks like your doing a fantastic job by the way),
    but if you want a test driver,give us a shout.:p

3. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Haha thank you mate. But I'm afraid this car is far from the racing track right now :rolleyes: Let's say it's in the same stage as when BRM's engineers tried to put two big flat 8-cylinder engines togheter, one on the top of the other, and get them to work togheter :eek: lol

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

The limit is the sky, remember? Its your working office and should look like it is, so, GO GO GO :eek:

5. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

1. It is mostly your preference how you want to organize things. Performance wise they say that all the objects sharing same material should be attached into single object. In such car like this I would personally attach engine, radiator, hoses, and other small pieces into one. It also matters which parts of the car you want detachable in crash.

2. Yes you can model them right away, and you don't have to know anything about how to set them up in the game at this stage.

3. I believe there is usually separate cockpit for outside view and driving view. Driving view cockpit should be as detailed as possible because that is what you mostly going to see when playing the game. Unless you have FOV of 1 or something... You should see how to set the seat and steering position from some pictures and reference materials. If not possible, then you need to make a guess :D

4. Yes you should have. They are just different quality iterations of the same car. I haven't really yet never done this so I don' know what is easiest way of doing it, it seems to be pain in the ass anyway. When finished with the highest quality model, maybe you start removing details more and more and save as different quality level models.

6. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

1. So it's possible to attach all radiator belonging stuff into one object then? I can still have different textures on each part though it's just one piece? :) I've never worked with textures either, just some skins for RBR.

2. That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you.

3. Ok, but is the instance I'm working on right now the very high-detailed cockpit? Or is it the one that's going to be seen from the outside? Well, I'll do it as detailed as I can immediately?

4. That's what I wanted to hear, too. I was thinking I had to start with the very low quality version but that would be complicated :)

Thank you for taking your time :)

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

We all loves good looking cockpits, right? ;)

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Indeed we do...

Very impressive work Hedlund, especially considering you`ve not been working with the software long.

I`d really like to get into doing this myself but have neither the software (atm) or the knowledge to get started... yet.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing your progress.

:)

9. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

Looking Good Hedlund_90.

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

dunno if its irrelevant but always wanted to ask.
    How one starts a project like this?
    I suppose you need blueprints, or you can go by photos alone?
    Also youve been to Donington Museum?

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

[​IMG]

Just realized that it is the car Jackie Stuart had his accident at Spa!

A historic car indeed :eek:

12. Mauro

Mauro Registered

another 1966 F1 car project, great news! :)

13. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you :) Well, you can download 3ds max 2012 trial version and try it out. I think all you need is the interest in learning. I had no knowledge at all a week ago.

Yes and you can cleary see those pipes that's running alongside the cockpit, right below the mirrors. Hm... And I thought maybe this details came first 1967 (the season GPL is simulating). But it was obviously there in 1966 season too, so it looks like I'll have to add them, and re-shaping my nose and move the air intakes (and some other details) then. Well, thank you mr nikos, though it means more work for me :p

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Rikard, I thought uve seen Donington Museum pictures, havent you? Its all very clear there about pipes.

15. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I've found very good pics on the BRM wich I think is shot in a museum, but I don't know if it's Donington :) Well I'll do the pipes. BUT I just found another pic from the practice at Spa 1966, and there's no pipes on Stewarts car :confused: This photo I found at official F1 site. I'm confused.

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ill post u links tomorrow from work.
    Theres a P83 in flesh and blood at Donington Museum. Lots of details from it. Its only a ferrys journey from you :)

17. tjc

tjc Registered

As I`ve said Hedlund, I think that`s very impressive work for knowing nothing of how to do it a week ago.

Excellent and very inspirational, I`ll have to get that 3ds max trial I think. Do you know how long the trial lasts?

:)

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

till final verdict tjc LOL

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

did he really started 3ds max a week ago?
    It took me a month to just find out where buttons are and Im an experienced autocad user!
    This new generation, hmmm...

20. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thanks in advance nikos

tjc, I think it's 28 days.