BRM P83 1966 w.i.p - beginner need some help

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Hedlund_90, Jul 10, 2012.

1. rer8

rer8 Registered

I admire your enthusiasm. Waiting and watching.

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Now I have no more errors, but showroom is emty, or car is invisible :(

Maybe there's something wrong with the meshes... let's redo it and try again. Any suggestions?

3. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Hmm... looks like I had deleted that "actor=vehicle" line. When I added it again then I can see something in showroom:

[​IMG]

Haha. It certainly is the nose of my BRM. But it's flat and camera is not rotating around it. It's acting like a garage wall. Well I'm happy I'm able to see something but what is next step to have it in the correct scale and...non-flat? ;) I know the parts are not perfectly set up in 3ds max. They are not 100% centre etc. And how do I get the correct scale if someone could explain? :)

4. Ed Straker

Ed Straker Registered

Great project Hedlund,I'd love to drive this,well done sir.

5. Ed Straker

Ed Straker Registered

Sorry Nikos,but Stewart's car that was crashed at Spa was a BRM P261,not this the P83,he used the P261 a couple of times in '67 too at Monaco and France.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I suppose ure right, coudnt really sort which is which between BRMs, Ill have to study more it seems, thnx for correction.

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

If I remember correctly he used both cars at Spa (P83 for qualification and P261 for race?).
    Yes he used the old P261 a couple of times, at monaco because the new car was not finished, and he won :)

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

But the BRM on your pic is P83 at least! and that's most important! ;) Because it made me realise I had to make the pipes for my car, lol.

9. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Mate...you need to learn reading tutorials and with trial and error.. If you wait for replies for every step/error I think you'll finish in 2025....:p

BTW, your car needs to be in scale. Check your Max system Unit in the Customize section...and be sure you're working with Meters (1 Unit = 1 meter).

Scale your car to match the real size.

The nose of the car needs to point for south (negative Y vertices values for the front of the car, positive for the back)

Remember, every single istance have its own pivot (the x,y,z centre of the object) but you need this basic structure:

-Entire car+wings+suspensions+everything is rigid connected to the bodycar: Pivot at absolute world center 0,0,0
    -Tires+spindle+brakes+calipers+rims: Pivot centered to Tire object coordinates
    -Steering Wheel and SW axle: Pivot centered to SW object coordinates

So....when your car is scaled and centered* in your scene (i guess it is just now), you have to modify the pivot for the entire car hierarchy. In your case, at this stage, you've just to select your nose+body, select the Pivot mode, affect pivot only, and manual enter 0,0,0.

*The bottom of your car have to be aligned with the Y axis (0), so your car bottom is "touching" the Y axis instead of tires.

After this apply a a Reset Xform for your selected istances to reset rotations and scaling.
    Every time you edit your istances, working on position/rotation/scaling**...you've to keep the same pivot structure as described, and you've to apply a Reset Xform before the export.

Export your istances...

** Eg: if you move your bodycar+nose, after you've centered the object pivot to 0,0,0 - you need to re-do the pivot centering.

When you'll add other parts to your car, remember to adjust the pivot as described before the export. The game needs to know where is the center of the hierarchy to move the car, tires and steering wheel and if you export different car parts with different pivots you'll get a messed up result.

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

11. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That's good...but could create some confusion about the two coordinate systems ...

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I'm confused with them all the time, one can color over letters and put own letters in to make things easier, I would have done that if I would remember which was which again, I forget immediately as I read :D

I remember only that 1st number is width, 2nd number is height and 3rd number is length, but in MAX those 2nd and 3rd are swapped, so everytime I get confused when I need to take numbers from max to feelers etc. But I guess MAX has no option to swap those two around?

13. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Just a short question that goes slightly off topic: does anyone know if american car engineers are working in an other coordinate system than here in europe? I'm used to +x to the front, +y to the left and +z to the top, with (0,0,0) as center of the front axle.

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yes, I'll try to find something. Thank you again!

I'll update here if I make any progress :)

15. JorgeAH

JorgeAH Registered

hey mate, when have you do it and wich software?
    And i want to add a question. This stage is modeling but, which stage do you have to animate or rig?

16. Mauro

Mauro Registered

I forgot this interesting work.
    Have you a 3d model done?
    Is project live or is it dead?

17. JorgeAH

JorgeAH Registered

im current working. Design and modeling stage.

Mauro likes this.