rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Will servers be able to store a teamspeak address so that drivers that joins the server can auto-connect to its teamspeak server?

2. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Long time lurker first time poster.

I used to do a lot of Live for Speed league racing, and moved to iracing, i dabbled with rfactor in the past, but i could never get a decent feel out of it unless i played around with the logitech profiler the wheel settings in the ini file, the mod and the particular cars setup, not to mention all the force feedback plug-ins etc it was just too much, and i never really felt connected to the rear of the car like i did in the other games.

All the stuff ive been reading about rFactor 2 is really really exciting and makes me want to get to work on a cockpit and see if some of the Live for speed racers i used to race against want to get back to racing again, however if i have to spend a million years to get a feel remotely similar to the other games i mentioned it will be all for nothing.

I shouldn't have to edit a ini file to change my wheel settings, that sort of stuff should be in the game, i should feel connected to the car at all times, perhaps im just picky or didn't spend enough time on it i don't know but i hope this wont be the case for rF2, from what ive seen of the tire model video it looks like a huge improvement.

So my question is, will i be more connected to the car in this one than rf1 and will i have some idea of what the rear is doing?

Also will we have a huge built in ruleset, or the ability to create our own with ease? as in for different F1 seasons they had different rules and lenghts on practice sessions and quali (single lap, knock out, with fuel without fuel etc) because the dodgey way some modders get around it is a bit poor frankly, this isnt something that should be hard-coded.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text and i hope this didn't seem too ranty, this game is looking fantastic and i hope it can scratch my itch!

Best of luck ISI ;)

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Try this if you're interested. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/614-rFactor-Better-FFB-Tutorial?p=7376

And this.. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/93-Setting-up-your-rFactor-FOV-Tutorial

and even this. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/725-Editing-your-.PLR-file

There is alot of magic in rF1. Just have to unlock it.

4. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Thats just the issue, it should be like that out of the box, or i should be able to get it like that with the built in settings, seems a bit fiddly in this day and age, i shouldn't have to 'unlock it'.
    I remember i got it perfect once, many many years ago and it was great! i know it can be great i just cant be bothered spending my time perfecting it, i wanna race! :)
    So im hoping with rf2 i can feel the car more, out of the box, obviously i will still have to do a bit of tweaking but i shouldn't have to edit ini files! (for the record ive done a little bit of moding myself in the past and am leading development on a small xbox live arcade racing game (little arcadey game just for fun) so its no issue, its just a pain!)

EDIT: Although in saying that those other posts you made do look rather interesting, might start up a clean Rf install and give some of that stuff a go! nice to have it all in one place as well, which is part of the issue i guess. thank you anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2011
  5. satrain18

satrain18 Registered

Will rF2 have a text-to-speech engine where spotters can say other drivers' names?

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Jesus...
    Why don't ask for coffee machine ;)

7. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Oh one more, damage model.

Is this going to be significantly improved over the old? frankly the current is a little average in this day and age, and i mean if your going to have day night cycles and dynamic weather, a half decent damage model surely cant be too hard?

i mean i want to see mainly improvements to the collision detection, rather than the physical appearance (though that could do with an update as well) primary for locking wheels at speed in open wheelers to have consequence and proper aero differences, (ie just knock a little of your front wing off on the right side, you can feel the difference, and have it effect your top speed.) and punctures for that matter when you start rubbing bodywork together as well would be good.

8. gniewko

gniewko Registered

Please don't get me wrong ISI - rF is the only game I bought and rF2 will be the second one, but what was the reason in saying, that the game was meant to be released by the end of 2010, while it was surely impossible (and known to you) as we see now how works are getting on?

9. YoShImUrA

YoShImUrA Registered

So what if they don't release it on the at first expected time? Probably that is because we are asking them to add so many stuff in these threads. For me the important thing is that when they do, it's all good and it has all of the features working properly.

As they said several times, they're quite a small team, so they can only do so many things at a time. I'm not in a hurry at all. I want them to do a good job, and when they really feel like it is finished good enough for a release, release it with all of the features properly tested and working. Even if that's a year or more away. I still have a good time playing and specially learning to mod in rF1. Play with the few good mods that are out there, it will make the wait less painful :)

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Exactly. For me v1.0 would include only:
    - new physics - done already
    - fixed driver swap bug - hope it's done already (Gijon said something about it 2 years ago)
    - weather - don't know what think about progress

Additionally it should have:
    - modern gfx
    - surround sound (easiest thing to change)

So.. there is no 'too many stuff'. Other things may be implemented in further releases

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011
  11. Maranellodriver

Maranellodriver Registered

+1
    rFactor is the only sim wich includes this feature, it would be quite dissapointing if rF2 doesnt.
    TBH this single feature (hopefully free of bugs then) is the only reason why i'm patiently waiting for rF2 - and it's the only reason why i'm still racing rFactor.

12. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I have a serious question now. Since the tire model video I have thought about and forgot this question 3 times.

Will the heat of the tire/patch of tire be the determining factor for the generation of tire smoke. Because it is a bit ridiculous in rf1. Every turn was a no opacity smoke screen.

13. Adam Gutowski

Adam Gutowski Registered

LFS have this driver swap (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=1397 - look at date of posts), and reconect thing to continue race as i remember

14. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

When is the website for rfactor 2 finish?

15. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Registered

What about suspension physics in rfactor 2? Haven't really heard anything about it, yet. In rfactor the suspension model is very basic and lots of settings in the setup wont affect the car how they are supposed to.

Are there going to be any improvements on that?

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Just out of curiosity. What's not working as should?

17. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I have a question about period of time for drivers to appear on the grid after race session starts. Currently its hard coded to be 30 seconds as far as I remember. rF2 will feature changing weather, and this 30 seconds is not enough to make changes to setup and rethink race strategy if weather conditions on a start are different from practice, qual, warmup (i.e. sudden rain). There must be some option to set this time for admin (1-5 minutes will be good).

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You can use recon as solution for limited race enter time (in rF1). Enable it with defined pit open time. Then you have more time to go on track. But you have to leave pitlane before pit lights went red.
    I think 5 min is too much to wait on grid for single not prepared drivers. You should always have some alternate setups prepared (in case of changin weather, so loading those should take seconds).

But yes, it would be nothing wrong if this time will be settable.

19. YoShImUrA

YoShImUrA Registered

Probably some forecast will be provided before the race session starts...

20. brigo69

brigo69 Registered

Thanks Tim,

I was pretty sure that this is not a guaranteed process. As a sim driver I just would like to experience a mod which reflects the best the physics of a real F1 car. I know it raises lot of commercial and legal issues (copyrights, licences, etc) and I am not greedy at all...just encourage you to get the physics of a car from 2009 and put in the package :)

All the best,

brigo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.