rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you program the AI to use varying lines, you'll be able to 'find grip' elsewhere. Marbles form off line though so if a line is used by most of the AI it could ruin other parts of the track.

I don't know the answer to your second one. I heard mention of programmable timers, triggers, etc in tracks, but I don't know how far they got/will get with that. Infact Scott may have mentioned it in his recently track update?

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I'd love to have some per-object and per-material constants and timers passed to shaders. Or at least constants.

Imagine I have to use sun position to control my cloud and water animation in shaders.
    Or store spotlight direction, radius, center point and blend angles in UV coordinates for lightflare shader.
    Having a generic set of constants would allow extending rFactor's engine much easier without the need to write some specialized parameter encoding tools for GMT files.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
  3. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Thanks for the answers. Programmable triggers sounds interesting, but that's not quite what I was after. I was thinking more in terms of this for programmable flags:

Code:
    // Black Flags (bytewise)
    // 0 = Not Used
    // 1 = Disqualified
    // 2 = Penalty
    // 4 = Mechanical Problem
    // 8 = Parked
    // 16 = No Longer Scored
    // 32 = Unsportsmanlike Conduct
    blackFlag = 46
    blackWhiteCrossFlag = 16
    halfBlackhalfWhiteFlag = 0

// Yellow Flags
    // 0 = Not Used
    // 1 = Local Caution Road
    // 2 = Local Caution Oval
    // 4 = Full Caution Road
    // 8 = Full Caution Oval
    // 16 = Hazard Zone (road courses only)
    yellowFlag = 12
    yellowRedStripeFlag = 16

// Blue Flags
    // 0 = Not Used
    // 1 = Slow Car On Track
    // 2 = Local Caution Road
    // 4 = Local Caution Oval
    // 8 = Faster Car Approaching
    blueFlag = 3
    blueYellowStripeFlag = 8

4. Malik

Malik Registered

In regards to the Pit Menu situation, I know it has been mentioned to use voice commands....however can the menu system be tweaked to be a little more intuitive? an example;

If you planned on taking a stop on lets say lap 30 of a race, but you have a collision and you decide to stop on lap 25 now due to damage...can the menu be made so that it would ask you YES or NO questions that 1 simple keystroke can change as oposed to trying to do it at 200 mph! So in the before mentioned scenario the pit crew would ask you; "FILL TO TOP?" and "REPAIR DAMAGE?" and these queries can be answered with a simple YES / NO button programmed. And if you want to alter fuel manually you can still enter in your fuel amount the old way. In real life, a pit crew would think in this manor, they wouldnt just fill to what was planed before the race started, they would take into account the situation and make alterations to the plans on the fly, in this example adding 5 more laps of fuel. I think this might be a good alternative to voice commands...and certainly better then the RF1 system has now.

5. AUS-mONKEy

AUS-mONKEy Registered

I know it's not quite what you mean Malik, but Fuel wise you can alter your PLR file, Relative Fuel Strategy line and acheive this already.
    Change : Relative Fuel Strategy="1"
    Default="0" Relative Fuel strategy sets the way fuel get added to the car during a pit stop. Setting this value to "1" will add the required ammount of fuel at the pitstop just like in real life racing, the nominated amount of fuel you requested is added to what you have left in the tank. While setting the value to "0" means you leave pit lane after your stop with the nominated amount of fuel you requested in your setup. In theory using the value of "0" means you could leave pit lane with less fuel then you entered.

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
  6. Stream

Stream Registered

Can you provide any more info about how it's different?
    Will it still be possible to easily run multiple rfactor-servers at once on one computer - similar to how you can do it with rFactor 1?

7. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Regarding the AI searching for grip, I was wondering if we could ever find ourself in this scenario?

Say for example I am doing a 3 hour race at Le Mans with some GT cars, as the race goes on and the track rubbers in, could I start seeing some AI cars taking certain lines, and then other AI cars taking different lines? Some cars may find the prefect line for a certain corner, whilst others stick to the line they already know?

Also, the same for if it rains and starts to dry, will the AI start to experiment with different lines whilst searching for grip? Could we potentially see them make mistakes and crash/spin?

Also, in the rain, does the usual rubbered in line get less grippy?

One last question, will the AI lock up brakes, spin the rear wheels at race starts, spin off, have accidents, etc?

Thanks a lot for answering!

8. brigo69

brigo69 Registered

Hi Tim,
    I have read lot of positive news about rfactor2. I like the long waited features like changing waether or tire conditions, so I am looking forward to download rfactor2. My question relates to the available cars/mods. The recent version of rFactor includes a Formula One car from BMW (2006 or 2007 version I assume).
    My understanding is that most of the F1 teams already use rFactor PRO for their simulators. Is there any chance that one of them would make their cars available in rFactor2?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
  9. Adam Gutowski

Adam Gutowski Registered

there will be F1 2011 by Codemasters right? so they probably have all rights to cars for this season, but maybe i'm wrong :)

10. 88mphTim

I actually said you search. Wasn't referring to the AI there.

11. 88mphTim

The AI make mistakes.

The reason a track loses grip on the racing line in the wet is because it is smoother. The cars actually close a lot of the cracks in the surface. In the wet the water sits ontop of this area while off line the water seeps into the cracks and allows the tires to ride on the surface rather than the water. In any case, I don't know on this one whether the dev who did this knew that, but I can ask. lol

If you tell the AI to do things, they will. You can setup a personality of a driver. Slow starts, mistakes, etc.

12. 88mphTim

That is considered separate business. Although the contacts are there it doesn't mean agreements can ever be reached. So seeing something in rF1 or rFPro doesn't mean it's available for rF2.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In the same way you can edit these things, can you make some AI bettter in the Wet than others? The Shane Van Gisbergens of the AI world so to speak :p

14. #34_simnation

#34_simnation Registered

Tim, thanks for making this board available. Big help to get a "headsup". I hope you and ISI have spotted the opportunity that exits for proper oval racing based on North American stock cars. There is a huge vacuum out there at this time for it with the difficulties experienced by TSF (bless their hearts for the effort). We're so hungry for it that there is discussion at the nation of even reverting back to N2k3. Who cares whether it is based on Cup or whatever; what we want is a good tire model with good raceability and manageable flag rules. I combed the board for more info on the Historic 70s but couldnt find it. Can you elaborate or point me in the right direction here for more info?

15. Malik

Malik Registered

@AUS- Monkey

thanks man Ill try that out...i never knew that..you learn something everyday

16. erale

erale Registered

I have a few questions regarding this new packaging system:

- If I release a mod and want to include some smaller fixes afterwards (fixes in the physics) will I have to release a complete package or can I release some sort of small patch?
    - Will tracks also be released as packages?
    - If yes: is it possible to change some textures/objects (advertising) for different racing series? For example: F1 has other track side sponsors than DTM etc.
    - What about trackpacks? If I want to release a complete trackpack for a racing series mod will these tracks all reside in one package or one package per track?

17. Vien1

Vien1 Registered

Is there any movement with arms when shifting?And are those animated differently with H-shifter, stick shifter and paddle shifters. And when starting engine, turning headlights on, wipers, changing brake balance, is there any arm movement/animation? sorry my english

18. 88mphTim

I'm pretty sure there won't be an animation for turning things on and off, as for gear changes I don't know yet.

19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Maybe another but similar question: Is possibility to do own/scripted animation of a driver under consideration?
    With this feature, modders would animate drvier's 3d model to satisfy needs. Animation would be triggered by events fired by game.

20. Vien1

Vien1 Registered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.