“ are rfactor2 physics broken” video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

Care to elaborate on wtf we are supposed to see there?

2. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

What now you can't see steering wheel ? are you kidding now ? or can't come up with anything since you lost ?

3. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

No, I'm serious, what am I supposed to see there that either supports or disproves your point?

4. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

Mate i literally posted time stamp to compare. and prove that my "assumption" were right. Look at 0:59 you will see turn in oversteer ....he even had to lift off

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Overall you don't seem sure about what should happen, which I think is fair enough given the variables at play.

But that makes me wonder why you so directly called it out as poor tyre behaviour.

As for the extent of understeer, or more specifically the expected under-rotation of the car, that might require some measuring. From watching the video the steered angle isn't completely insane, so I'd expect more yaw rate than, say, locked-up front tyres. I might look into that later.

Bruno Gil likes this.
  6. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

I don't get it : what are you trying to show here ?

I am not overestimating the wheel weight in a real car, I am saying that many ppl are using very low FFB with their simulation. The way the guy in the video you posted earlier (Porsche Cup) is impossible with my settings for example.

Don't underestimate FFB consequences, it changes physics consequences a lot.

7. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

No dude, tell me exactly what it is that happens that proves your theory
    And your reasoning behind it

8. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I did say more probability of oversteer though. and it turned out quite correct if you saw the real video i posted.
    I called it poor tire behaviour because it is my best guess why RF2 has current physics issues.

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Absolutely no way, you mistake something about it. "Seat feel" is purely sense of accelerations with your body. It has absolutely nothing to do with steering responses. If you feel it somehow in rF2, you feel something else. And by way of your description, you simply describe self aligning torque or S.A.T. Which is responsible for steering unwinding when oversteering, this torque makes steering to load up when cornering, stabilises wheels when traveling in straight line and makes steering to spin to perceived opposite direction of a curve that car oversteers through. There is also no way you don't have it in ACC...

It depends on cars, I think there are cars in rF2 which will give little or perhaps even no of these feeling you describe. Braking FFB load up depends a lot on caster. If caster is big it won't be felt much. Loading up of a tire increases pneumatic trail, caster creates mechanical trail. Pneumatic and mechanical trail added up creates full leverage for the force which is sent to steering. If mechanical trail is big, then change of penumatic trail should be felt more, and vice versa. Also those cars has powersteering, it shrinks whole range of forces, so that slight increase is getting masked. Also those cars has downforce, and that further makes the load transfer to front less significant, should perhaps more likely to be felt at low speed. Also while trail braking you should be consider that you might have the tire not using its full lateral performance, so the lateral component in the tire is reduced, as soon as trail braking ends some steering load up might get perceived depending on a car. I think there could be more reasons to consider, so I wouldn't be completely sure, and also take less seriously what gamermuscle talks about physics.

Bruno Gil likes this.
  10. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I said more probability to oversteer and gave an video evidence of it. which seems quite hard to grasp for you.

Edit: are you trying to add more
    post so that no one can see how you fall on your face calling my "assumptions " wrong and then getting handed with real life evidence ? lol.

11. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

Man and you called me biased.
    Ill tell you what me and most people here see:
    A driver going into a corner flat out and having to lift the gas pedal to stop going straight and actually make the corner.
    You don't correct oversteer by lifting the accelerator (unless it's power on oversteer). That will get you killed. That's How you induce oversteer

Nieubermesch likes this.
  12. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

You didn't see steering wheel correction ? wow. look at the video again at 0.25X speed. Look specifically from 0:59 onwards.(because it is the same corner we are talking about in game comparison).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  13. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

T
    That movement is getting the car to take a set aka get all wheels on their grip threshold, and it only happens if you load the front properly, never if you stab the steering wheel. I still don't see how that proves your point.

His turn in was NOTHING like the video you mentioned earlier

Nieubermesch likes this.
  14. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

This is THE POINT .,. even with small steering input IRL car on that turn oversteered ..... while in rf2 it showed ZERO signs of oversteer DESPITE such abrupt input and went straight to understeer.
    And i said in that situation (the RF2 video situation) a REAL car would most probably oversteer but since i was applying real life logic it didn't work on RF2 and it understeered instead in RF2 video.

15. Bruno Gil

Bruno Gil Registered

Seriously...
    That didn't happen in the video PRECISELY because of such abrupt steering input. Not being able to grasp that shows how knowledgeable you actually are.

Now, I'm really out.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  16. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Well, SoP is the term used in irFFB, I'm not sure at all if this is the right term, no matter I explained what I meant, so...

I don't have it in ACC, as I said. I have no reason to lie about this, do I ?

For the other one, give me a break please, there is no chance with whatever car you prefer to compare in which you won't feel your wheel being heavier when breaking an turning...god, even with my Peugeot 3008, going from 130 Km/h to 70 Km/h while turning I feel it despite the HUGE power steering of those cars, don't try to explain me some cars won't produce this kind of effect, especially in a GT3 or GT4 car.

And yes, GT3 have power steering but :

1) it is adjustable in a real GT3, not in ACC. At least it was adjustable in the Audi R8 LMS I tested.
    2) pilots NEED those effects, they won't set huge power steering so they don't feel them

I don't know gamermuscle, can't care less what he says...it is the second time you name this guy, who is he exactly and why do you keep talking about him to me ?

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Yzangard The self aligning torque is very basic it must be there. As for braking load up, I'll have to pay attention on that, it is interesting to me. I remember ACC got criticized about that long time ago by GM.

18. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I'm gonna put it in simple terms

A PRO drivers turning in precisely gets -> SHARP OVERSTEER

What would happen(IRL) if he turned in as abruptly as in RF2 video ? .......... -> mostly likely OVERSTEER (80% chance of oversteer regardless of setup and condition if such harsh input were to be done IRL)

BUT

what happened in RF2 video -> It followed the line quite well with minimal understeer

See the point ? it literally cannot be any easier than this.

19. ATQ

ATQ Registered

In the rF2-video the weight is on the rear so the sharp turn in breaks traction on the front wheels. It's exactly as Bruno Gil pointed out. The IRL-video shows the driver loading the front to avoid understeer - he's not correcting oversteer. If he didn't have sufficient grip on the rear he would have spun out.

Bruno Gil likes this.
  20. Havner

Havner Registered

This effect (wheel weight depending on the car balance) is in ACC, it's very subtle but it's there. In GT3 cars it's more defined when transferring the balance with the throttle than with a brake for some reason (e.g. wheel becomes heavier when lifting in a turn). To feel the wheel heavier when braking I had to load up GT4 Camaro. And there it was. Still subtle (nowhere near the one we feel in RF2) but it was there.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021