[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

Love those conifers. I wish I could update the trees at Le mans easily to it, sadly they're set up so differently (and so numerous!) I can't see how to do so in any reasonable amount of time....

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

A scatter/paint plugin could go a long way :)

All trees are in place now, can keep tweaking for 100 years, but I like to finish the walls first. Forgot one and need to coat some of the endings with some orange :p

3. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

I love that screenshot. Actually brings rF2 somewhat close to what you'd expect out of a new sim, graphically.

4. pas74

pas74 Registered

+1 .....Details.......

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I also think that the color palette is very natural and realistic looking, that in itself does a great deal to convince you you're looking at a car on a track instead of a computer game :)

Those pine trees might be useful in Zolder as well though ;)

Any community wishes to do with AIW, get them coming if you want so Tosch and I can discuss those. I think we should be able
    to come up with a road map so to speak to get some results quite quickly (relatively speaking). This does mean that at times I'll be working
    on stuff to aid in his work but that also means an earlier league test version*. An example would be that there are no pitbox lines yet
    so those would be needed when setting up the pitpositions. If that league version passes testing, I think that will be called version
    0.2 alpha and distributed to race :)

Also, ran some testlaps yesterday, the couple of bumps which were too high I now fixed and they are more subdued now, still there
    but way less brutal. I'll probably tweak a bit here and there over the course of the next two weeks checking video footage though.
    I'm also doubting the camber on turn 2, might be needing a bit more there. This will probably be issued to volunteer testers next week
    as a dev mode version when the grid and pitboxes have been updated. This last thing is needed because I tweaked the length of the track
    a bit and everything has shifted a bit. Thing is that now my track is almost exactly 4.011 km long where as it was 3.990 before :)

* If you want your league to be in on this, I know I have been approached by several
    but can't remember them all, contact me and I'll see to it that you will receive the track when I have it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  6. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I agree. Those trees look very effective.

Is that Spa by the way?

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Tosch, does that mean to get variation you would have to use different tree models, which I presume would eat up tons of memory? Is this something on ISI's radar to fix (the ability to rotate for variation without screwed-up lighting)? If not, we should get it on!

8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Already some updates by Tosch, good job! :)

New main and pit path.
    The AIW includes 10 garage and pit spots.
    Aligned the first 15 grid locations with the markers.
    An early version of the fastest path.
    Left and right path for formation lap.
    Fuel calculation, special slow down and teleport spot set.
    Edited a lot of corridors (curbs are now partially included to the drivable surface).
    Smooth pit exit for fastest, left and right path.
    Very early version of the tv cams.

Pretty cool that we can work seperately on these things!

9. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

I want the update now! :p
    Wgeuze, where do you come from? Are you from Belgium? Because I am and I've driven on the track before. :) Do you mind if I point out some small inaccuracies?
    For example, I've made a screenshot from the piece of building between the two pit buildings. I've put an arrow where a door should be. I've been trying to find a picture, but can't find one.
    If you care about such little nitpicks, I'd like to give you some more. :)
    But other than that it looks truly awesome! Probably some of the most accurate versions ever.

10. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks Skidmarks,
    The main goal of this topic is for this type feedback to be openly discussed and put forward so yes please I would like that very much :)
    I've driven the track once myself as well although I'm from the Netherlands :)

11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Some WIP pics. Hope it works. Have to use my Sky... ehhh Onedrive since Imageshack isn't for free anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and my Zolder Album (will add more pics in the future).
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7151937C5115578%211458

All I can say is that the track in it's current state is funtastic to drive. :D Top work wgeuze!

12. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Looking Great

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Ah nice, the one with the SLS in front looks pretty cool, we should do some multiplayer testing soon ;)

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

We should, I will add some more garage and pit spots tonight... ;)

I need to figure out how (where) i can place more pit spots for the endurance racers.

About the problem with the AI slowing down because of a car in the pit lane. Is it possible that you have to somehow separate the main road mesh from the pit lane mesh? When I've created the corridors (find corridors in devmode) the algorithm didn't see the pit wall and created a corridor over the whole width of the track (pit lane included).

15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

You can use the other building for that, I can open up the garages if needed :)

The pitlane is already a separate object actually and I didn't encounter that bug when I had AI driving around.

The pitwall doesn't have collisions so it is correct 'find corridors' doesn't detect it, technically, it doesn't excist in corridor space :p

16. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Awesome! I wonder why you aren't building Zandvoort or Assen. :p Anyhow, I'm glad! I love this track. :)
    Another nitpick: I think the pit buildings are slightly too tall. Although it might not seem to be a problem at first sight, once you start working on the bridge between the building and the grandstand, the bridge and grandstand might not look right. If you're going to count the stairs of the grandstand and going to create the same amount, the spectators will have to jump on them. :p

Edit: Where does that pit crew come from??

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks I'll keep it in mind when I will start working on the walkbridge and the grandstand to use that connection as a base to correct the scale if needed. It's hard to tell from just photos sometimes so it is an estimation I made from stuff I could find in photos (person or container) and measured how many times they fit in a certain part :p

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Is it possible to add some variance to that grass texture, maybe even a few 3d or 2d blade sprites? It's looking sharp, nice collaboration.

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Not at this point as this is not a grass texture I intend to use for the 'final' version, just a temporary one. I'm not sure when I'll do the actual grass and gravel, I want
    to have all the walls in place first. I'm looking forward to trying something with that though, maybe after my holiday I can give it a go, it'll have to be done at some point
    anyway.

20. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

If you want, I can send you some pictures. :) I made some 2 years ago, last time I saw the 24h race because I wanted to convert Simbin's version, but without all the errors.