[REL] Zolder Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by wgeuze, Nov 23, 2012.

1. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Great attention to details Wgeuze, keep up the good work.

2. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

But it helps. ;)

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

After this building I have had enough of buildings for a while again and will do something about the smooth road, that helps even more ;)

4. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I have no track or car building skills but watching these threads and seeing you guys learn is fascinating and inspiring

Thank you for your continued work bringing top quality content to us

5. RJames

RJames Registered

agreeed, as someone who is currently learning and building a few circuits it's great to see where other authors put the details in as it always inspires me to work harder to match the quality levels!

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Channel 2 has separate mapping coords, which you can use for AO mapping (multiply).

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Glad to inspire you guys!

Thanks JKA :)

As promised I spent today on the road surface. According to video footage I added bumps where I figured they should be, added some logical ones in braking zones and
    did a very small noise pass on top of that for more detail in the road itself in the Z-Axis, all those verts for realroad are there to use anyway, best have them do some
    change in shape while they are there, even if it's minimal. On top of this, I increased the amplitude of the road noise, and doubled the length. Some people will get the chance
    to test drive this over the course over the weekend. When they are happy with the result, I will make sure all the edges of the grass and kerbs meet up with the road again (as
    there gaps now) and might do an alpha release again. This will not bring as much new things as you guys probably like but atleast you're not driving an ice road anymore.

Those absolutely adamant on driving this version as of today, can, if they want to, but I warn you to be dissapointed, it's really a test version aimed towards road feel and I
    even accidentally removed all the walls from the track...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It's the little things..

So subtle, so rewarding :p
    [​IMG]
    Small shadowy edge ^^

9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Pardon my stupidity but....what is it?

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Looks like a test cube for ambient occlusion + normal map. Lower part of the cube looks 3d but it is just a flat surface. Nice wgeuze :D

11. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Oh, ok. Nice work.

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

One of the things that are incredibly simple but add a lot to a scene. This little shadowy edge really 'plants' that object in the terrain/floor/world, even when in shadow. I've seen it done in the past but never took the couple of minutes to try it out for myself :p

Those guardrails have been annoying me for some time and as the road surface becomes more like it's final shape it seems appropriate I finish them. They are pretty high poly so every mesh will get 2 LOD meshes so they will not bog down performance on lower end pc's. Actually, I only mean to have the highest LOD visible on the highest graphics setting :)

A more practical example maybe Jamezinho this:
    [​IMG]

And a detail shot just for fun:
    [​IMG]

Now I'm going to work on the end pieces, I think I've identified two kinds, flattened out and 180 degree ones ^^
    going into the oven, so to speak ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I wouldn't recommend it.

More complex meshes seen from a distance can cause some aliasing artifacts and waste performance, because some polygons will have subpixel size.
    Also, what seems like a reasonable polygon budget for single guard rail will look less attractive if you look at all guard rails on entire track. I once had a guardrail similar to yours and after putting in on portion of track I ended up with 100k polygons already. Could be spend elsewhere :)

In general (not just guard rails), two LOD's will suffice. Normal maps can provide surface shape information for low LOD.

And you will need collision meshes, too. To stay on the safe side - consider collision detection as very costly and use as simple collision meshes as you can (so, flat walls for guard rails, perhaps even with half the segments for curves).
    If you have a wall with net - use just one box for it, not separate boxes for wall and net.

Other than that, you're doing a very good job with tesselation and ambient occlusion :cool:

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I think you misunderstood my meaning there. What I will do is this:

Low settings: Lod 2 always
    Medium Settings Lod 2 Lod 1
    High settings: Lod 2 Lod 1 Lod 0

High or Full, whatever that will be, will be the only one to actually display the more detailed ones, for the low and medium I will not even bother displaying them so they can't hurt performance :) I don't know if it will be possible to have different distance settings per graphical setting but that is a care for later to be honest. First and foremost I'm catering to the maximum I can get out of the engine within limits, and optimize later (that isn't the most fun job).

None of my objects have collisions actually. In fact, I use a method I used in the Unreal3 Engine. In that case, we could create a separate mesh for a level, very low poly and optimized which had the sole purpose of doing collision detection. Visually, it wasn't even rendered on screen. As it is also one instance, it's pretty cheap on performance as well. I'm doing the same with zolder, where I for now have "Collision_Mesh_Main.gmt" with a collision flag doing all that work for me :)

Thanks ^^

edit:
    Just for reference, this the main collision mesh. Not even optimized it's only 1900 triangles for the entire track including pitlane :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thanks for clarifying.

One more word on collision meshes. I'm not sure how rF2 engine handles them.

Whenever two objects are within range, collision detection algorithm must start processing them.
    Now, if the collision algorithm breaks that mesh down into smaller pieces, it will only test these polygons that are within range of each other. If not, it will test all polygons.

If you have one big collision mesh for entire track, all cars are within range of this mesh at all times, forcing collision detection algorithm to work constantly.
    So if this algorithm breaks this mesh down further, there's not that much of an issue here. If it doesn't, you're wasting a lot of CPU cycles, because cars will be tested against collision with polygons hundreds of meters away.

I'm not sure if you tested it (best with larger number of cars). It's definitely something to keep in mind, but like I said - I'm not sure how rF2 handles this.

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

My league is racing here at the end of March. Currently we are planning to use the other version of this track that is released. Any plans to get this version race ready before the end of March?

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is a good point you bring up, I'm also not sure how rF2 handles this and I'm doing this simply out of habit. It would be nice if someone in the know can clarify this. If need be, I can cut up the collision_main in chunks very easily
    and have them either split into 500 meter long meshes or accommodate them to existing meshes (So for example guardrail_21_collision.gmt).

On the content side however, either way is fine as long as it is clear what rF2 likes best :)

Not even remotely, atleast not a finished state, sorry :(
    That said, if you give me the ingredients of what you want out of a 'race ready' track, I can sure as heck give it a try on a functional level if you want but really the bare naked minimum. I would expect some hands on testing on your part to make sure
    you get what you need and don't have nasty surprises come race day. Send me a pm with your skype tag, we might be able to sort something out, good for motivation to have a direct short term goal :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Testing should give the answer.
    Just run a lot of cars with single collision mesh and with let's say 30 collision meshes. If you use a lot of AI cars for this test, you should notice difference in either CPU usage or framerates.

If you see no difference, or difference is very small, then it would mean rF2 engine has it optimized at this level. If there is a huge difference, then we can get back to this subject and I will write some general advices as to how best split your collision meshes.

Best to run that test with both old and new collision model. The old one could have been left unoptimized with the new one coming. The new one could be unoptimized since it's still not finished ;)

This is unlikely to have any impact on performance so do whatever is more convenient to you.

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

With the time available I don't see a point to do that any time soon, or maybe for a possible league release it pops up as an issue. If that is something I'm going to do it will have to be tested with a full grid I imagine anyway :)

20. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

You want to break up collision mesh in smaller pieces, and you want to do so in actual racesurface as well. ;)

Generally speaking, 150 - 350 meters long collision meshes should work without any stuttering, also with large fields (20+ cars on track). Same principal applies to racesurface as well.

Collision problems will grow exponentially with large fields and big/long collision objects. You can leave this (breaking these "parts" )on last working stages before releasing you track.