[WIP] Mosport

Discussion in 'Locations' started by shiet, Oct 3, 2015.

1. shiet

shiet Registered

Right now I'm doing the wet road reflections, after that the corridors. Doesn't seem too complicated. :)

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Cool.
    No that's right, the corridors are actually very easy to work with, and can really help a lot if you have troublesome spots around a track.

3. shiet

shiet Registered

Well this was a sucker. Not that one corner but all the others. Have you noticed that almost all the curbs and most of the runoff areas were in blue (not driveable by AI)? I had to manually correct them because the "find corridors" menu didn't do that for some reason.

4. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I've not looked at your files, but check your TDF file. If you want Kerbs or runoff areas drivable by the AI, then set the line for that material from "Legal=false" to "Legal=true". Find corridor option should work for these then. Sorry if you already did it all manual :p.
    Thank you for making track, will play it soon.

DJC

5. shiet

shiet Registered

Thanks for the info... next time. ;)

another thing: I would like to make realroad presets, is there any kind of rule what is considered as light/medium/heavy preset? How many lap, which car, realroad time scale etc?

6. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

All up to you. You can drive for 20 laps and call it light rubber, 40 medium, 70 for heavy. Or 28 for light, 43 for medium etc. :)

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I had manually done that work already in one of the previous versions, allowing the AI to use the least "lethal" curbs as drivable surfaces etc.
    "Find corridors" will have overwritten those old corridor tweaks. :)

8. shiet

shiet Registered

Well it doesn't matter now, looks like it's OK. At least I learned something new (again). :D

Other problems:
    1. in wet conditions the cars go too wide in T3. Is this an rF2 problem (I saw threads about "rF2 AI sucks in wet") or AIW problem?
    2. how can I save realroad presets for both layouts and put them into the .rfcmp package in a way that rF2 can identify which preset belongs to which track-layout?
    3. is that a big problem if I make reflections of the roadside walls? Because it seems that ISI doesn't bother with the walls at all and I miss them a lot, it's an immersion killer (not that I ever race in the rain... :D )
    4. how can I make the ripplestrips to reflect back objects? I saw it on ISI AMP curbs.

Here is a progress screenshot (drying road with the groove and the reflection of the bridge): View attachment 18500

edit: now I understand what's the problem with the walls. It would work only on a track which has no elevation changes.

edit2: now I know what was the problem with the ripplestrips. It needed an alpha channel.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  9. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Had a few laps. My main issue right now is that it is an fps hog. A performance pass or two would help a lot.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

A lot of that can be helped by doing a dedicated "wet path", where you take some more rain oriented lines. :)

11. Ernie

Ernie Registered

It's amazing to see all your improvements from first version to the current one. Fantastic work, shiet.:cool:

12. shiet

shiet Registered

Looks like 0.808 wasn't the last update this year but I think this is.

0.85 under the hood update
    - added animated cornerworkers
    - added wet road/ripplestrip reflections
    - added realroad presets (light/heavy rubber)
    - added a new building
    - texture brightness adjustments
    - fixed some nighttime lighting problems
    - improved AIW

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/mosport-ctmp-wip.7558/
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4c1g1sjh5e83h3/CTMP_v0.85.rfcmp?dl=0
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/0bad0xvz2x5hlgp/CTMP_v0.85.rfcmp

13. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm glad you got this out today as I'll be on a data budget from here on out :cool:

(movers arrive in 90 minutes to take our furniture)

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Did you make other changes to the AIW than corridor tweaks, shiet?

The fast path you did is very good, but I've found a few places where it could be improved.
    Not by recording an entirely new path, as yours is very good and smooth, but simply by tweaking a few WPs manually while looking at the speed calculations.

My feeling is that the AI is still a little bit slow overall, even on higher strength settings.

15. shiet

shiet Registered

I found that the AI speed depends on the car/mod too and not just the track. The EGT and T5 mods are very fast but for example the Stock Cars and the Megane are slow. Why? I don't know. I would think it's the car.
    I don't know how to make WP calculations (yet).

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah for sure, the AI physics specific to a certain car has a big impact on the speed.
    The car with which you recorded the fast path will obviously work best with that specific AI and similar cars.
    A path recorded with a modern F1 car won't necessarily work well with an historic F1 car. :D

The manual WP tweaks is where you turn on the speed text for the fast path for example, and try to analyze where the "weak" points are.
    You look for WPs that are significantly slower than the surrounding WPs, and then try to even them out a bit.

This is tremendously important on ovals for example, with the long fast turns.
    Here you don't want a bunch of annoying slow points that make the AI dab the brakes or lift in weird places, past the apex as an example.

17. shiet

shiet Registered

hexagramme: I would like to write a private message but your ingame box is full (again :D).

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Try again please. :)

19. shiet

shiet Registered

I did.

20. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

MoSport is just awesome! Thank you very much for all your hard work on this track - much appreciated!