Why rFactor 2 Multiplayer quick races are dead?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B1K3R, Nov 3, 2014.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

I could say the same about AC ,when I go in .nobdy home? yet raced 2 races with fields of bigger than 20 this morning in RF2.. and for me thats where the problem is . time zones. Im sure if I where to wake at 3am to race there would be plenty to choose from in both mods. AEST is very slow in taking up RF2 it seems

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The problem is the whole MP system, I've been complaining about it since rF2 came out. ISI finally released a new type of online system - albeit in "prototype" version - a build or two ago, but it seems that hardly anyone uses it. I assume that more people will, though, as ISI continue improving and implementing it.

The old system (the one that most people still use) is just terrible . Server-room creaters having to commit to a certain list of pre-selectd tracks? Players/joiners having to have every single track on that list even if they only want to play one or two tracks for an hour or two? Lol! Who in their right mind would approve such a limited and cumbersome system.

I couldn't even set-up my own server about a week ago. I just wanted to choose the allowed cars and then choose a track at will, instead, I get a list of 6000 virtual mods or whstever that have been downloaded from other online servers. You need to be some sort of IT or networking guru just to get a game going. In rF1, GSC, FT, etc. I have my own room running in 2 seconds.

In rF1 there is a big box full of writing and all sorts of info and descriptions. It has a few different screens (different tabs) with even more info. People would often eritw descrptions on mods, rules, where to download certain files, websites, forums, whatever. When the autodownload system of rF2 can be so finnicky, a big info-screen like this is extremely useful. Plus, players want information - they want to know all sorts of things nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
  3. Emery

Emery Registered

This is a valid complaint. Hosting multiplayer is not adequately documented. Fortunately, there is some guidance here in the forum.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Yep and that's because pickup racing sucks. A simple online rating/ranking system would get more people to do pickup racing though. Sounds strange but it's true. I was at iracing for a couple of years and you'd be surprised at how grown men and 13 year old boys alike get all upset or even plan their weeks around a number aka irating.

An official hotlap challenge would help out with people online as well. I know there is rFactor2 rank but I'm sure there are a lot of other folks like me who can't be arsed to manually upload a time. Some sort of plugin that automatically does it would be much better.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
  5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Not really since there are so many servers(mostly empty). Tough to say it's so difficult when it's clear that many people are able to do it although I do agree that more documentation should be more easily available. A lot of people dont' want to sift through a forum to find out.

6. boxer

boxer Registered

Durge... I agree with him... I don’t see how one should download ten tracks to just race on one...
    Once of the curses of rF2 is that it's perhaps too easy for people create their own mod and therefore way too many mod's of the same thing exist...
    I seen servers that are asking me to download content I have already download... I have not clue what changes where made...

MP needs a bit of cleanup/improvement from ISI IMO...
    1. is ISI should have more sessions at a time... not just one like I seen lately.
    2. (The descriptions are sometimes cryptic.. one has no idea what is actually running on a server).
    3. Many times the number of people on the server is wrong.... i.e. Just this weekend I joined a server that showed up with just one person but it actually had least 12!!!... (for me this has been an issue the last few builds)...

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Boxer, point #3 may be A.I. A.I. don't show up in the number-of-players list.

8. shiet

shiet Registered

I would like to add two things (requirements) to my previous long post.

1. when I join a server it would be nice to know the length of the next session if the next session is qualify. I can see the remaining time in practice mode, I can see the length of the race, but I can't see the length of the qualify session. I don't know how much I need to wait for the race. WHY?
    2. I think a good system for filtering the "idiots" and also for a somewhat cleaner pickup racing would be to force to use of the real name (Enforce full name in the hosting application). If I would host a server I would force that because that way you know who are you up against or you can remember if somebody is just stupid for whatever reason (driving, attitude) or in other cases he is someone you can trust and respect.

B

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

To nitpick on Durge's GPL comment:

Yes it was more of a challenge, but it didn't make it more realistic. The low speed grip issue is the most famous aspect of all followed closely by setup physics exploration (not in discovery but as in abuse). Difficulty =/= realism although a pleasant challenge does lead to more sense of reward when conquered (to whatever extent that conquering is). That said I believe Papyrus was my favorite racing game developer, heck I imported GPL from the UK and have done my best to raise awareness to NR 2003 and the GTP mod!

--

About multiplayer, I presume one will find higher volume and frequency of usage when there is a larger out-of-the-box base of content from which to be utilized. I wouldn't doubt AC has more overall users than rF2 which only adds to the discrepancy in numbers, but honestly online in AC while very much possible and an option, is quite often boring because there's a rFactor (1) Mégane sense to it. It is littered with GT cars on Spa or Nürburgring, sometimes Imola and maybe Monza. AC suffers from too many good car options with few tracks so if you want to use the F-40, Ferrari 458 (not GT2), Lotus 98T, or the Lotus Exos 125 S1... very best of luck to you. There are a few more cars not listed that get little love, some for being boring - Ferrari 312 comes to mind - and some just for losing out the popularity contest - KTM X-Bow and Lotus 2-11.

10. boxer

boxer Registered

Thanks I didn't know that... so basically I was playing offline online!!! LOL.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Boils down to this to me ............

There are always many more people on the forum then there is online.

You rather talk about it then drive it.

lol

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You have a good point.

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's because everything is so much better in theory

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think the same, i was really excited about AC for that very reason.

Even if AC gave me the same feedback and feel I don't like shiny glowing graphics and cars that look like models you buy put on a shelf and admire.

Look .......it is like heaps of people here 2 years ago 'dissed the Historic Tracks as " cartoony ".

I think that was a absolute joke, Monaco is some of the best mapping in a track omg ...... pCARS and AC feel like sled rides !!

So what it is a few blues holes in the map among friends. ?

hehehe

But seriously I have never been more surprised then some of the people came out and dissed the Historic track quality, like it is our sim and you bashing it, wtf.

Now that all your shaders and drivers are better you have nothing to say on the matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  15. bwana

bwana Registered

n jeezus !! I wish .. Mines quick for around these parts at 5/3 meg.. no more whinging from you please ;)

16. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Even the effort to merge Malaysia and Australia not getting more than 10 on grid so far.

I blame it on the timing tho. Weekends. Time for family n stuff. :(

But as they say, u want it, u do it. its all abt commitment and desire. All i see is unwillingness and negativity abt rf2. Theres ALOT of it from EVERYWHERE.

17. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Oh come on ! 6/0.75 meg here :eek:

18. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

If ISI want to populate pickup racing, they just need start act and think like average racer(which is actually majority and nothing wrong with that, most full time job people, don't have time and energy to race leagues)). So there is the plenty of people i think which will want to play pickup races(even if that means bad races, with bad drivers). ISI's MP system just don't work for majority pickup racers. Is to demanding for every who have for example 1 hour available per day. Maybe their idea is not so wrong, but in practice this system just doen't work for pickup racing. I am not saying this is entirely ISI fault(they try something new and that is very welcome and they system probably work perfect in "lab" testing), but it will start to be, if nothing will really change in future, because by now they should know what and why system don't bringing good end results, so they need addapt to situation and don't insist with their idea of MP system on no mater what. Lets face it league racing don't need this system(although can be welcome) but for pickup racing doesn't work or better saying doesn't bring good results. Many of you here on forum saying, that you have been successful with some pickup racing and i agree, just we are not ordinary average pickup racer, lets face it :)

19. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Intresting Thread here.

So we've put up 3 public servers as an experiment on a one hour program using default ISI content. One track per vmod.

They can all be found in the lobby with www.tcsr.club3, Civics at Silverstone, Chevy VS Nissan at Limerock (GT1 vs GT2 vs GT3) and a third one will go up later today.

Events are: 15 mins practise, 15 mins Qualifying, 5 minutes warmup and a 25 minute race.

They are setup with liveracers - tcsr.liveracers.com

Should be easily accessible for pickup racing, as an experiment to see how many use it. If you want to suggest track/car combos, feel free to pop over to our forum www.tcsr.club and post in the public server forum.

20. bwana

bwana Registered

Hey Gui, anyone ever told you your a very attractive man?