Why rFactor 2 Multiplayer quick races are dead?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B1K3R, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Mulero

Mulero Registered

AC in this sense is the same......... or worse. On servers that use original content no problem, just like in RF2. But on servers that use mods the problem is the same, if not lack one thing need another, or the version of the circuit is not the same, or the version of the car is not the same, or the content that is being used does not in nowhere .... RF2 at least offers the possibility of self-discharge, and ISI, little can be done in this regard.

For me the problem is not there. Many people do not play online and those who do, they do so mainly in leagues. Those who do not play online or are in a league, are the usual quick run races, but most of them have expired their licenses and will not be renewed. No one pays a fee to enter online where there is nobody. It's a vicious circle. No people - people do not renew their license - no people.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I drive a sim for the physics, not the numbers.

AC has been mentioned so now I can ............

AC is a inferior drive and feel, wtf ? ............ all there is to it. ?

Driving the Lotus 49 is most boring thing I done in a Historic.

Eve F3 has more feel in her little pinky.

Grand Prix Legends is more of a challenge.

If you that unhappy then go drive your supercars

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

By all means join AC online lol. :D

My blood pressure rises just thinking about all the ramming kids there. Nearly every race is a complete disaster because the driving standard is so low. No thanks.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Interesting tidbit, there are 164 drivers active on rF2 right now. That includes league servers though. Funny thing though, a friend just quoted rF2 as currently having 80 active drivers. :)

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Yesterday I was trying to join a server with the Clio, but the Vmod had like 15 tracks in it and 8 of them were new for me:mad:, so I gave up!

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

rF2 has those types too , come into room no hello, no thank you for a setup, ignore any help, try to do a lap.

Then after you type a few paragraphs of help they just up and leave, no goodbye, no kiss your arse.

That is the types I would get more of I run AC rookies .......no thanks.

I will take 4 /5 gentlemen over 100 of that rabble any day.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

but you been here 3 years

wtf man

get your act together :) ;)

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Yeah I know, but a lot of these tracks were ripped or rubbish conversions that it is very difficult to find in the web to download!

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Gentleman racing over kiddie rammers any day of the week.

10. shiet

shiet Registered

Hi guys.

Sorry but I'm a newbie here however I read the forum almost every day, I play rF2 almost every day so I thought I'm gonna share my thoughts.
    Also sorry for my bad English.

So the topic is funny because yesterday was just the day I thought about this, why rF2 online sucks?
    So I fired up the rF2 online and I tried a bunch of servers.

Here are my results.

attempt 1. "Giving up download of [track]
    Didn't install everything. Check component URLs for validity."

attempt 2. I have to download another 8 tracks if I want to join the server

3. another server which wants me to download 6-7 another tracks
    I started to download but then I cancelled.
    After that I wanted to join another server but the download resumed... Wtf? I had to shut down rF2 and start again so the download doesn't want to resume.

4. success!!! but the races are 5 (FIVE!!!) minutes long

5. "Giving up download of [track]

6. "Giving up download of [track]

7. success but only 2 more drivers on the server.

8. another server with 4 more tracks, OK I'm going to download.
    I had to wait for 20 freaking minutes to download the tracks.

I have an 50/30 internet connection.

So. This is a joke.

Obviously those "giving up download" errors are not ISI's fault I guess.
    But this "download everything just to race for 20 mins" is a joke.

I have no clue how to setup a server but I was so pissed of I was thinking about it. :D I started to "study" the hosting because I don't understand why is that complicated so I can't join 6 out of 8 times.

I think a (pickup race) server should set up like this (example) at least I would do this

1. track + car(s) combo VOTE in a thread (I give the options otherwise there would be 23489 kind of opinions)
    2. track + car combo change on every 3 or 4 days based on the vote (or weekly, the point is to cycle)
    3. vote restart for the next combo change - with old and new options

4. one track at a time to download
    5. race in every one hour (1:00, 2:00, 3:00 etc) so everybody knows when it will start
    6. 20 min race
    7. 25 min practice
    8. 15 min qualify

or 25/25/10, doesn't matter, the main point is to start the race every hour. No voting about this on the server.

(9). experimental fixed setup - it sounds silly but on iRacing there is a reason fixed series are the most popular - because the majority don't want to mess with setups, especially for short (pickup) races

With this structure a server setup like this would be popular I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
  11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It'd greatly help if there was more ISI content, unfortunately besides the past overload of URD EGT there are way too many places combining poop cars like BlancPain mod or eye sores like the Rebellion, often also mixed with dodgy tracks. RaceFactor does work better than just plain conversions as they have AIW but typically the source material leaves to be desired. I made a few lists of cars and tracks over for the guys at PRC (remember that site?) but it just gets dismissed.

12. coops

coops Banned

+1 for the official ISI servers. More open rooms needed. So many rooms locked that you never see a player in 1/2 the time. Maybe something like AC where you can see open rooms and locked rooms separately it would shorten the lists and make things more easier. I hated mentioning another sim but had to sry.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If I had to guess this was on build 798 or 860. 880 fixed a bug in GetMod that makes joining a little easier after in the event that one fails. It's odd that it take you 20mins to join with 50/30. I have 50/10 and joined a server this morning that had like 20 components, none of which I had. Most of the components were tracks and it only took 3mins to join. It may have something to do with your geographic location. Most people are hosting on Mediafire and Dropbox, both of which are probably faster for me here in the states.

It would be great to have something more organized like you describe. Something similar to what RFC had back in the day.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I agree BES always felt a little odd. With a lot of setup work and practice they were sort of driveable but still very frustrating for me. I actually loved even the original ES mod for rF1 which most people said was too tail happy. So for me to not care much for BES says a lot about the mod. But I just realized yesterday that there is a BES 1.5 with totally overhauled physics. I haven't tried it yet, have you? I'm kind of curious if it's any good.

15. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

There's only 3 or 4 cars ATM but they are vastly improved... both physics wise and graphically IMO.

16. shiet

shiet Registered

I tried this yesterday, my game was already updated to 880.
    The slow download time is maybe a location thing (I live in Hungary) but I can download almost everything from the net with full speed (around 5 MB/s). My location usually only matters with the ping.

I think this type of organized way of thinking is a must if we want more players online.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I tried a lot of iterations that hailed promises of being "it" including some given by people apparently directly involved with it. I am sorry (as an expression) but given the track record there's no reason why this should be different given the feedback to mine and others' feedback by the aforementioned person. Then there's the feedback from people with access to them but given the track record of the quality of their feedback... eeesh, no thanks! Not even to dwell into the graphical piece.

About the EnduRacers mod, even v2.1 to me has very off-putting tires. I hope when they bring their stuff to rF2 it will be a different story, it is a shame have all that lovely work not be enjoyed because one aspect - albeit huge - keeps it from being top notch.

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Regarding the BES v1.5... I actually gave it a good run yesterday, when I also only just realized it had been released.
    I couldn't stand the previous version, so I had kinda given up on it.
    Yesterday's run didn't change that feeling one bit unfortunately... I appreciate the work and all, but something is just off.

McLaren, Interlagos, plenty of rubber on track.
    Went out of the pit to do a warm up lap... rear suddenly lost all grip out of nowhere, while barely even turning the wheel.
    Kay then... Spent the next half an hour doing setup work.... Rear still just lost all grip without any logical explanation.
    Back to another half hour of setup work.

Finally I managed to string together a couple of laps without the weird physics bug kicking in.
    Tires had optimal temp, but the car still felt so weird.
    Going through the kink at Subida dos Boxes with 80% throttle, the rear just went out on me again.
    I exited rF2, opened ModManager, uninstalled and deleted BES. No more for me. ;)

Well, that aside, I must say the claim that rF2 online has died is ludicrous.
    I just had the best race all week on the open 1992 F1 server at Red Bull Ring.
    Participation? Off the charts, 21 cars at the start.
    Fun factor? Off the charts as well. I'm still sweating and shaking... ;)

I f***ed up the start, starting from 4th.
    Cold brakes, punched the guy in front, and I went down the order to 13th.
    From there began an epic drive up through the field, that all ended with an intense dice with sirBodo for 2nd.

rF2 has a lot to offer for those like me who only have time for public "quick races".
    It has even more to offer for those who prefer leagues.
    Get in there, stop moaning, and stop pretending that there's no action online.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
  19. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I find the Porsche a blast to drive. Haven't tried the others. Gui.. I believe you would find fault with a real Bugatti Veyron if it was parked in your garage and you actually owned it ;-) You have very high standards.. mine are a little less, each to there own.

20. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

And yet the saddest part is that nkp was good