Why is the steering so bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chunkyspice69, Sep 7, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Wouldn't, frankly, know where to tell you to start with that lot. You have a different experience to me (and it seems most others) in almost every way.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you can turn the wheel left and right without much actual car movement then make sure.....

1. your aids are all off. Ive almost torn my whole system apart a few times because I didnt realise I had steering assist on, not even kidding lol.

2. Make sure speed sensitivity is all the way down to 0/off.

3. Make sure your steering ratio is correct/in a "normal" range relative. Make sure the steering lock is set to a "normal" amount (comfortable to you, prefeerably on auto set) relative to your real life steering lock/rotation settings.

4. Make sure you have no deadzone in your steering settings

5. Make sure your sensitivity is fully linear (should be 50% in most games, but in RFactor 2 ISI had to label it 100% just to confuse people).

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. GSC does have great FFB. I played GSC and I now play rF2. IMHO rF2 is much ahead of GSC, chunkyspice thinks GSC has the better FFB. OK.

4. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

At least no one says "Go play GSC then".

5. SPit

SPit Registered

Bad ffb feel is also my problem too.

I am on rf2 since the first beta build and at those days the ffb was really great much better then iracing for example.
    The problem then with ffb ratling on dirt was not so annoying for me.

After some time, with the newer builds we have tested rf2 again and the ffb feel changed.

And this is not an green track problem, the wheel calibration or the ffb multiplier!

You just dont feel (to less) especially with the F2 when the grip on the rear goes off!

Oh btw. we are on Logitech G25 and G27 wheels.

Maybe its an steering wheel (logitech) related problem?

For us its the reason (and really important) we do not drive rf2!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  6. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Doh. Thanks, guys. I guess at some point I stopped running practice sessions (just qualifying and race). And I always set the real road under the first tab (practice) thinking it would naturally carry over to subsequent sessions. So simple. So obvious. But I'm glad it's finally resolved:)

7. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Sorry guys have been super busy and a little preoccupied of late. Thanks to everyone who has kindly offered assistance. I'll get the screen shots up tonight and i look forward to getting the setup right so I can enjoy RF2.

8. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I agree it is great but it still needs some work. For example we need to be able to set FFB strength for individual parts of the FFB. As it is now lets say you want the feeling of weight transfer to be super strong, so you increase the FFB to 1.0.... but then when you hit kerbs it breaks your desk and your neighbors call the police because they just heard a machine gun go off in your house. :D

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That is a great idea :)
    Something like this:
    [​IMG]

10. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Probably quite easy to do if you use canned effects ;)

11. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Here are the screen shots. Sorry about the quality.

12. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Forgot to mention I have included 3 different setups

13. baked bean

baked bean Registered

You have steering help on low, thats the problem mate, turn it off like i said on 1st page.

14. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Yep that is the problem. The steering help assist takes control of your wheel and turns its self as you drive around the track... This should never ever be used... ever. Why this is even an assist is crazy but its in many sims lol

15. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

That's it....everything else is right?

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

As already said, set steering help off. Also, you don't have vechicle set steering range activated in all the pictures, try to keep that activated (should be good this way). Maybe you should try disabling also other aids you have active atm, they affect alot to the car's balance.

I have T500RS wheel and for me ffb multiplier levels 0.7-1.0 are enough to get the right feel but everyone in its own way I guess.

17. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

I'll give it a go. thanks VM

18. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Okay.... I have done a few laps with everything turned off as suggested. Some wheel spin and OL off the line was fun and the steering does feels a bit better but the car is wicked loose. Under braking I'm all locked up and skating off the track. Into corners massive oversteer. Any advice?

19. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Slow down :)

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Most of this stuff is decided in the tracks' TDF file in the first place. Everything is 'canned' in a way (simulated!), since we're never driving a real car ;)
    For example, the rumble strips at my version of Zolder are modelled, but I do tweak the FFB using the TDF values for that type of surface.