Why is the steering so bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chunkyspice69, Sep 7, 2013.

1. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

I installed RF2 recently and while the steering on the Megane & Clio is playable the rest are almost undriveable. I have been playing GSC2012 for a while and compared to RF2, Game Stock Car is light years ahead for steering and force feedback feel. Does anyone have any steering setups for a G25 or solutions they would like to offer?

2. datanode

datanode Registered

Can you describe the actual issue? What occurs etc I am sure we can help in some way :/)

3. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Thanks Datanode.

Its hard to explain preciously but the wheel doesn't have a strong feel to it like with GSC. The cars are so twitchy, understeer, lack of grip. The formula cars are the worst. I can turn the wheel left and right without much change it the cars movement.

4. andy breedon

andy breedon Registered

I had a simular issue, what i have done is edit my logitech profiler settings, leaving all options defualt except steering rotation i turned up to 900 and ticked let game change settings.

Then in rf2 make sure the steering is the same 900 and then tick the box aside of it. This should let the game alter the rotation per car you choose to drive.

5. datanode

datanode Registered

I think this too, if it feels like understeer it could be going past a slip angle or simply isn't correctly correlated to actual steering angle in game and literally isn't turning enough.

Do you have the visible wheel on and confirm the rotation matches. Maybe others have other ways to set sensitivity but before doing anything I make sure it maps rotation. Visually then tweek it.

Essentially the same as post above but doing it slightly differently. :)

I quoted the bit above as I think that is most relevant. The hint is, some cars feel fine others don't :/ it shouldn't be like that. :)

6. andy breedon

andy breedon Registered

I dobt think the wheel does match thru rf2 build yet, or didnt at one point but i dont go by that i go by feel, i found the above a good way with slight steering lock alterations.

7. datanode

datanode Registered

True, may be worth a try. I have a fanatec so I just ensure it is completely linear and mapped as precisely a possible.

What settings do you have for a car that isn't working vs car that is :)

Because it sounds like in game options rather than wheel options manifesting due to car model alone.

Unless car specific controller options are set. :)

8. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Thanks for all that. Can you supply a snapshot of the wheel settings page within RF2 just to get things right.

9. Domi

Domi Registered

About lack of feel, understeer, lack of grip, etc... first of all make sure that the track has enough rubber. The F1 for example feels awful on green track, but quite nice once the track has grip.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013
  10. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Make sure you have steering help off in the aids, I know it sounds silly but this got me a few times in the begining.

11. wollo

wollo Registered

I can't remember where in the setup menu but you wan't the steering ratio turned way down from default on most tracks except maybe Monaco because of the hairpin bend. makes the cars feel excellent. With your wheel you may have to filter the forcefeedback a bit in .plr file too. Good luck, force feedback is imho one of the best areas of this title and worth playing about a bit to get if feeling good.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I had a bit of the same issue when I started using this sim. Especially with the F2 car, it felt awful and I quickly gave up on it.

Yesterday I picked up F2 again and realised I had been completely over driving it into the corners. That's why I felt the FFB just "let go"; because the front end wasn't gripping the track at all due to too much speed.

Mess around with the Logitech profiler and set the ingame multiplier for each car until it feels good.

13. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Speaking of which, does anyone else have issues with saving Real Feel track settings. I often don't play that long, and it's annoying to have to spend 30 minutes driving on a green track. I'll save a track that's been rubbered in, select that save file in the race setup, and it's back to completely green. The save/load feature flat out doesn't work for me.

I had one build a while ago that actually worked and allowed me to load rubbered in tracks, but it was just a build a long time ago. It's so frustrating to not be able to just run on a track with grip.

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

Depends on what sessions you are running and how you've set the real road. Some people have got their settings all wrong, setting the real road file for the race only, and forgetting the other two sessions. Or setting the real road file for the first session they run, but forget to set the race to naturally progressing. If it's set to green for the race, it'll do just that.

Something that's really worked out for me when I'm just running by myself (no AI) is to set the autosave realroad for whatever your first session is and then naturally progressing for each session after. So that whenever I come to the track, I'm loading what I had last time automatically. If I'm running a lot on one track, then I'll reset it every so often and start again, to cover different cars and different lines I'd be using.
    I haven't had any problems doing that so yeah.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

RR loading and saving works perfectly. You are loading for each session, right? Or are setting any subsequent sessions after the first to be progressive? It'll load what you're telling it to, and if you're telling it to go green at the beginning of each session, that's exactly what it's going to do.

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Assuming you're aware that other sims have tracks that are rubbered in at all times? rF2 has tracks that realistically increase in grip during the course of a session.

17. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Your last sentence strongly suggests that the in-game wheel rotation isn't matching your actual rotation. You're turning the physical wheel 45 degrees and I suspect the sim car's wheel is only turning 10 degrees, for instance. Until you've fixed this you aren't seeing anything representative of how the car should drive. A formula car with 900 degree steering isn't going to feel right at all.

I know someone who has this problem with a CSW and they still haven't managed to fix it despite being very technical and well-versed in racing sims. It's a shame if this is happening to a lot of people and tainting their impressions of the sim. Most people jump to the Real Road thing or other causes to try and explain what someone's experiencing, which is what I did with this friend of mine at first, and then I realized his steering wasn't 1:1.

It's an insidious problem because people don't realize it's happening, and then they describe something that could be intererpreted many different ways.

18. jjcook

jjcook Registered

I agree- it helped me immensely to match my g25 rotation in my game controller setting to the setting i was using in game...(this is a chore one had to do manually in previous sims such as rfactor by editing a file -I like progress).and also 900 may feel fine in the vintage cars but with most cars you will get a much quicker steering with a lower number ...if you set the rotation 1:1 as suggested you can use a rotation that is comfortable. i go as low as 350. I also need to add a high ffb number to the modern f1's and some other cars...the ffb is too light at 1. , and some smoothing on that g25 helps

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  19. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I feel the same way – it's why the only vehicle content I have installed is the Renault tintops and the Skippys.

I'm still amazed that the team who made the Meganes (my gold standard in sim racing) also made the other cars in rF2. The discrepancy is baffling.

20. andy breedon

andy breedon Registered

Try what i have suggested, set your logitech steering rotation to 900 and allow game to change settings.
    Go into rf2s control settings and load g25 firmware for your wheel, were the wheel rotation settings are turn it to 900 and tick the box aside of this.

This should solve anyones problems as rf2 then adjusts your wheels rotation car specific!

Maybe Tim can clarify but this how it works for me.