Why is the steering so bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chunkyspice69, Sep 7, 2013.

1. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Actually the FFB is a lot better.......YAY...but the oversteer Grrrrrrr

2. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Ha ha

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

For braking you could maybe lower brake pressure. If you don't use ABS (which I don't use anymore) then you can just give full brake. The right (or maybe fastest way) is to first brake pretty hard (like 70-80%) and then gradually lower the pressure. This way car's balance is good under braking. And of course, you have to know/learn right braking points.

You can handle the oversteer with setups. You could try changing toe in value for example (someone with better setup knowledge can tell better). Also camber, spring and tyre pressure are something I usually change somehow.

Something to begin with at least.

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Try this two things:
    1. setup the rf2 overlay plugin from techade to reduce the ffb clipping. For Example in a bumpy corner with to much ffb multiplier you loose the feeling due ffb clipping (is like to loud music on to small speakers:) ) Less is sometimes more.

2. Work out a good setup try to use a shared setup with a good lap time as base and fit it to your driving style. Maybe the motec plugin can help you.

Additional info. Not sure if in player.plr or in controller.ini but there is a value about the characteristik of ffb force default set is linear. In my opinion the correct setting but I use a fanatec csr-e so my expirence will differ from yours.

alex
    Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I read this thread with interest, and see all the same answers given as usual, green track, degrees of rotation etc etc. I struggled for the last 18 months to get some sort of "real" feel to the sim. It was good but it didn't appear to ever handle like reality. I'm not a particularly accomplished driver in real life, but I know I can handle a car on the edge most of the time. I built my own car and have driven it on a track. In rf2 I could never catch a slide, it would never respond to the knitting I would be doing with the wheel. And all the cars felt a bit samey. Sometimes in real life you will deliberately slide a car, couldn't do it at all in RF (and catch it again). And as for touching a wheel on grass well you know its all over when that happens..... but it shouldn't be. Anyway you carry on. One day I was so frustrated with my inability to do in the sim what I know I could do blindfolded with a real car, I decided to play with the settings a bit. What I found was the whole thing was being caused by the setting "exaggerated yaw". It comes set to +25 by default. Setting it to 0 or even a slightly negative like -5 changes the whole feel to one that approaches reality. It may not be the same for others but this has changed the whole complexion of the sim and how complete it is for me. I just assumed it was an area that still needed work on. It's not, if something doesn't feel right - then it isn't.
    I have steering rate set to 100, look ahead set to 0(may not be right if you don't have 3 screens), and exaggerated yaw set to 0. I leave degrees of rotation to be set by each car. I also use fanaleds which you should if you have a fanatec anything. Hope this helps, it took the sim for me from a feeling of "has potential" to "holy crap I can't get out of my racing seat". Each car and track now has its own character. Considering getting some incontinence knickers actually.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

In Difficulty, your second screen shot, turn everything off, otherwise you cannot really feel the car.
    Ok, perhaps keep invunerability and clutch/gearchange if you want.

7. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Just last night I set steering rate (defaults at 20) to 100, totally different now, I love it.
    Somebody mentioned that quite a few posts back. Finally remembered to check that setting out. Seems that default 20 might be for gamepad controllers.

8. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Thank you :D

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

LOL

10. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Mmmm, all posts I just searched for talk about this "Steering Rate" made only for Gamepad (not the 20% value itself, the whole setting) and this is what I thought so far, before reading you Jim and Murtaya. I'll test that tonight to make my own opinion ;) Does ISI talked about it somewhere (can't find)?

11. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

As far as I know steering rate is if you want to steer with buttons instead of proper axis, so should be irrelevant if u use a wheel. I think it's the just the speed which turns the wheel when u press the button so it doesnt act like your typical arcade racer that goes from nothing to full lock in an instant

12. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Glad there's some improvement but you haven't mentioned which car you're talking about, or if you did then I missed it. They do vary a lot. I suggest just using the Megane until you feel like everything's working correctly, then start trying other cars.

Looked at your screenshots but I can't tell anything about rotation from that. You have to verify yourself that your physical wheel rotation is matching the in-game rotation.

I agree with Murtaya regarding the Exaggerate Yaw setting. Zero that out and see how it feels.

EDIT: Try these setups for the FIA F2, they're quite good: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/formula-2-mid-ohio.62900/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I tried to set "exaggerated yaw" to 0% as adviced. I use FOV 40 (not sure if this affects which value I should choose).

I the point of this change from default 25% to 0% was to better catch slides then I believe it really works (not just Placebo effect I believe).

But could somebody explain this "exaggerated yaw"...how does it work?

Also, I did test also steering rate.. I also read earlier that it don't affect wheels, only gamepads but I tried anyway. I set it to 100 (was 0 or default before)... I think it did nothing as I suspected.

14. Paddler

Paddler Registered

I did the same! Wow! What a difference!! It was great before, but now its just unbelievable good. I can really feel the car now and slides are possible. Thx

15. sg333

sg333 Registered

I just tried this plugin for the heck of it after reading this thread, and I cannot believe that 10 minutes after installing I have finally, finally gotten my CSW to work perfectly with RF2 :D. Having the visual cue allowed me to find the right range for some cars, and no longer is my wheel jolting horribly over kerbs, grass etc, and the steering feels so alive!

Anyone trying to tune a wheel should check that plugin out, its a little miracle.

16. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I know It's like a new wheel and you will see how much more you can feel changes in your setup. I try always to setup the car soft as possible but stiff as necessary. This gives me the best feedback and experience.

17. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

I'm using the Megane mainly. It seems to be the most stable. The GTR is just undriveable.

18. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Learn to treat each car like a woman, then you will be at one with the sim.

19. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

I'm an absolute PC novice (kinda) so have no idea of how to obtain the rf2 overlay plugin from techade or motec plugin. Can I get some help on where to obtain and some general instruction. Sorry to be a pain

20. chunkyspice69

chunkyspice69 Registered

Most of the woman i know are all trouble....(dont tell the wife)....lol