Why are all the servers disabling assists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willpinataman, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

And another thread where DD bangs on about his two versions of the game...Assists are there for those that want 'em, simple as. If that is what it takes for them to have fun, great. More folk having fun the better, I'm all for folk having fun. Others have more skills and for them their fun is found getting around without assists, great! they're having fun and I'm all for people having fun. Some (like me) have less skill but still struggle away without assists, that is for me fun...great I'm all for me having fun.

So just let folk have fun, don't tell them that they should do this that or the other because that is the only way. It's a game, and can be played in many ways. People will play the way they want with people that play the same and all have fun...great, I all for people having fun...Have I used the word fun enough times yet?

If I find myself on a server where I am not having fun, for some reason so I leave. No complaints, no worries I just leave. It may be full of Aliens that are so far past my skill level I am lapped in a couple of laps, it may be full of Timmies dive bombing the corners. I may not like the cars, I may not like the people. So I just leave. There are other servers, there will be more come Gold.

So how about not telling people how to have fun, let them choose how to have fun, let them ask if other's want the same kind of fun without lecturing them on how you have fun and lets see a little live and let live.

1 person likes this.
  2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

+1
    Well said

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Must.....resist......temptation ......to......argue....with....crazy....man. :)

Nope. It's no good, my willpower is not that strong.

Sooooo DD. Lets flip it around. If there is a Car released that has abs or traction control etc and in real life you are unable to switch them off, do you want to lose the abilty to drive it without?

4. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

LOL you gave me negative rep...Never mind someone else gave me positive so it all balances out.;)

5. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

DOH! No Cookies for you today!!!

6. tjc

tjc Registered

So our Tim just dive bombs the corners does he?

lol... :D

No!

Oh well... ok then. :)

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

So sorry :D was my first time trying to give rep :p Apparently I need some practice also in this area :D I will make it up to you soon.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

On a serious note though I`m with you Knight... I`m by no means in the fastest bunch but by no means in the slowest either (maybe closer to the slower bunch than the faster but still)

I have never driven with full aids of any kind and never will apart from when driving a car that has an aid in real life...

I look at it as realistically as possible... if I`m driving a 60`s F1 car then it`s no aids of any kind, manual clutch and H-shifter with heel`n`toe (although more practice is required with the heel`n`toe plus the G25 pedals suck at trying to do it consistently as they have actually got more space between the throttle and brake than they do the brake and clutch... bit of a fail there Logitech)

If I`m driving a car that has TC then TC is on, even though I hate it... same with any other car that has an aid in real life then I`ll let it be on in rf2...

Full damage is always on too.

It`s all about realism for me so that`s the way I go about it.

I would say to OP to try and lose the aids one by one as imo it`s a much better experience without aids but as has been said, each to their own I guess.

It is all about the realism as I`ve said but fun too. :)

9. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

Thankyou for all the replies I have read them all.
    I have decided I will take up on the advice most of you have given and start trying to learn with no assists!

So I have got into the Ever F1 as suggested and I am beggining to learn I also decided to document the experience on video so people can give me tips on where I am going wrong and how to improve if they would like to have a look here is my first go (First since deciding to do this anyway)

10. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Not sure the F1 at Lime Rock is the best place to start learning no-aids driving. ;-)

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Not watched the vid yet but you should grab DJC`s mirror fix vMod which will give you working mirrors on the 60`s content and mean you can turn off the virtual ones (if you want)

Get the mirror fix vMod here

Good to hear your trying the no aids route, I wish you great success.

Now to watch the vid. :)

12. tjc

tjc Registered

I agree...

Imo, as far as the 60`s content is concerned I`d start with the F3 at Monza. The F3 is a cool little motor and good to learn with as it`s fast, but not too fast. Also Monza has no real slow, twisty corners so good to help learn the feel of the car too. You might be temted to put the boot down at Monza as it`s a fast circuit but try to just keep it going and it`ll start to come to you.

I know this is all about learning to drive without aids but maybe have no damage on for the first while to help you get a good few laps under your belt and not have to worry about damaging the car and starting again.

Maybe naturally progress up to the 60`s F1`s? After the F3, go F2 and then F1`s... the F1`s are very powerful and quite easy to get all wrong so they`ll take a lot more patience and practice too...

Another thing to keep in mind... DurgeDriven has a F3 Rookies server up and about all about helping to train rookies. I`d recommend looking in there too as he`s a good "teacher" along with some others there too. :)

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

+1 in all ^

14. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

Thanks I realised after a few minutes lime rock definitely not the best track, I will try the F3's alter and about half way through I turn on invulnerability.

Thanks for the help :)

15. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Easy way to practice is to turn AI down and follow them, then gradually increase their ability.

16. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

Then again, if you get the hang of it at Lime Rock you should have no problems elsewhere. ;-)

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Your welcome. :)

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Yip... another good bit of advice here for sure.

Also, if you let the AI do some laps or load a saved real road file you`ll see the driving line laid down on the track and do your best to follow that, slowly at first and when you begin to learn the lines try and increase your speed.

19. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I would join a server that everyone has the same setup. No changes allowed.
    Garage setups i mean

20. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I've never liked this attitude.

I have over 40k miles of digital racing experience, yet I still prefer to use an automatic transmission instead of the shifter/paddles. I'm competitive with a manual transmission, but I'm happiest when using an automatic.

More practice isn't going to change my preference.