Why are all the servers disabling assists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willpinataman, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

It could be a combination of all 3 actually. Some (most, imo) or the default setups are not ideal for 'easy' driving. They are very prone to oversteer. Your throttle may be too sensitive. You can adjust it in the Controls menu. Lowering the Sensitivity can help alot. You may need less or more Steering Lock in the car's Garage menu. If little inputs cause sudden reactions to the cars, try lowing the steering lock.
    Some things in setup that will make the cars less touchy are less caster, lower (smaller or detacted) rear anti-roll bar. Tire pressure changes will also make a big difference in how well the tries react to the surface. Play with these first and see how the changes make the car feel. Then move into more advanced suspension tuning later on.

I don't use any aids except Auto Clutch and I have been moving away from that, to some degree. But offline, I use the biggest aid of all,,, Invulnerability (but I do my best to drive like it is off).

If you have a pretty good connection, you could host your own online sessions. I used to years ago with F1C and could handle up to around 8 cars with good results. I had a 2MB down and 512KB upload service. Anyway, that is maybe an option for you and others that want TC or whatever, at least until more servers start showing up that allow aids.

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Slow mans advice

Set your braking bias at 65/35 for starters, that way you wont slip while braking, take it to 60/40 if you feel confident, go lower than that when you feel confident enough to steer with brakes.

(for 60s F1s, lowering tyre pressure by 2 clicks all around, helps a lot!!)

3. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

And I ALWAYS go the distance ;)

4. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

I wish People would learn to see beyond one's own nose ...

... just my 2 cent

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

FFS, what is wrong with video sites today, I did upload video succesfully just two days ago and today, yt and vimeo fails face first, upload is starting and then nothing, got upload to start to vimeo, but then it says after 45 minutes of upload that upload error, this gets on my nerves....

So, as all of sites are crap today, can't embed a video, can only give this link, where one has to download a video, anyone who wishes and manages to upload it on yt or anywhere can do so.

http://jtbo.pp.fi/images/rfactor/rFactor2_LRP.avi

Video does not show perfect line, or perfect braking points, it does not show even how to accelerate to go fast.

It does show however way of driving, that allows me to learn the car and track without constantly spinning or crashing, I don't know how to describe that, but relaxed driving might work.

57 seconds laptime, surely one can go lot faster, but even at 57 second steady laps, one gets 100 laps done faster than spinning every other lap while attempt to go fast.

Steering wheel blocks rpm gauge, I don't know how to turn that off at replay, but one should be able to hear revs, 5000-7000 mostly, up to 8000 sometimes.

Throttle usage is feathering, just slowly accelerating, gun it when car is going straight, but for example after first turn, it is just briefly 100%, just touching that and brakes immediately, at first turn 3rd gear, that is lowest gear for whole lap.

Then 4th gear and rest of corners 5th gear, when increasing pace try to drive corners at 4th gear.

Also shifting down, after main straight, I shift 5th to 3rd and only when I have pretty much done braking.

Default setup, for this video I had 613 degrees steering with default lock, no wonder steering felt way too quick and car did plow straight at turns as turning wheel 1cm was a lot of steering already, I get neck pains from driving like that, but forgot to check wheel turning again. For me Vehicle set does not work.

Driving is waiting appropriate moment and also going faster means brake earlier, attempting to brake later slows you down. That is what slow in fast out means, also before giving it throttle have car straight or relatively straight.

Car has always two directions of travel, where driver attempts to point it and where car wants to go, when accelerating fast those two directions need to be matched by steering. One of the challenges is to see where car wants to go.

Real reason is that mass has certain slowness, inertia, this makes car's weight to kind of pull car to some direction, you turn the wheel left, car's nose turns left, car is turning to left, while car's inertia keeps car attempting to continue original direction.

With steering driver causes more or less angle between these two directions of travel, because tires have grip this is possible within certain limits, if you accelerate or brake you use part of available grip to those actions and you have limited cornering grip available, this causes possible angle between those two directions of travel being less.

To be successful in car control, one needs to attempt to see these two directions in his mind while driving, when you are good at it, you can floor car lot earlier as you can kind of see those two direction of travel and can use steering to adjust them to be same while accelerating, going enough far will result controlled drifting.

Problem is nothing is stable and solid, so those directions change quickly, less inertia car has, faster are the changes, more grip tires have larger are the changes and human can keep up only with so quick changes, so one has to predict changes.

That is something to practice with this slow driving, just learn to see those two directions of travel, when successful, going faster and faster is the goal.

Especially with older cars like 60's formulas this is crucial to understand well, with heavier cars it is easier, with low grip cars it is easier.

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Have tried various setups after I got the racing simulation setup guide. I always lower tyre pressure, spring rate, increase front camber, lower rear camber, lower ride height. Have also tried to change toe in, wings, gear ratio and brake bias with success. I always lower the steering lock ( for example: Nissan 370Z standard steering lock is 26 degrees-->15 degrees). I also have set the wheel's in game steering range to 900 degrees (not car set range anymore, wheel's own steering range is 270 degrees).

So I tried Nissan 370Z ( my favourite car at the moment) at Kyalami yesterday . Set the AI to 90/50 (not so good I know :D) to keep up with the pace. I had both 370Z AI and GTR AI. Only aids I had was auto clutch, automatic transmission and invurneability (hardcore enough). Drove the whole racing weekend with short practice and quali and 30 min race ( 20X time and 7X tyre wear). I started from pole with 1.21.3xx. I was leading for a long time...eventually I maybe spinned few times in race ( two times was because of AI :D). So not so bad I guess. AI pitted and even though I did not need to pit I pitted anyway to even up the field. I eventually finished 7th. My best lap in the race was 1.20.9xx. So went better than expected... have to try other tracks too...

So is this SIM enough for you guys if I am able to drive with these setting? I guess the auto transmission could be a problem to someone...

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It should not matter what we think, sim or arcade, if it works for you, then it must be good for you :D

But practice indeed makes lot of difference and going enough slow in first place, when there is reliability, after that one can increase speed too.

Posted this to other thread, but F2 is, imo. quite good car for learning too, it is quite forgiving, but still has enough power to be interesting, also it is great car to go sideways:

8. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have changed to a car I am comfortable with, the formula 2 it is one of the reasons I bought the game! I have also been practising Brianza because most corners are fast, I am still locking up brakes though espeically at Parabolica!
    I am uploading the second video of me at Brianza to see what you guys think! I had AI on 90% and was 2 seconds a lap quicker than Bacheta!

9. coops

coops Banned

try dropping your brake and accelerator sensitivity in controls dwn to about 35% and work up form there.

10. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

Alright thanks I will give that a go a bit later, I think my brake feels like it has a small deadzone maybe about 5% depression as well

11. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

The second video is up. I would appreciate what you guys have too say. I feel like I have improved quite a bit by driving a car I already know quite well I think mastering this will be my first task then move from there!
    Also i think some people mentioned setups, how much do these improve drivability I never was any good with setups in rFator (or in real life my dad used to do them not me >.< lol)
    Anyway hopefully you think I have improved!

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

What is wrong with trees and stuff? Looks weird, kind of transparent but not?

You are not spinning out at pit exit, that already is an improvement ;)

Setup can transform the car completely, so those are quite important, but there was setup thread somewhere around here and I think that might be good place to start? Move brake balance bit towards front, just one two clicks, test if issue prevails, move bit more towards front, looks like you locked rears there, set brake pressure to 80% first, then increase from there if not enough stopping power.

You need taller gearing, car runs out of revs at top gear, you could perhaps go lot faster with taller gears, but can't remember how adjustable those were in that car.

13. willpinataman

willpinataman Registered

Yes the trees! This is something I was going to post in the bugs thread but forgot i get this at most tracks since 125!
    Thanks you I will check out the setup thread, I was going to change the gear ratios but forgot too haha.

Thanks for the tips!

14. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

richard burns rally had a simple but true learning advise: if you dont stay on the road, you're driving too fast.
    race as slow as it needs to stay on the road, slowly but surely you'll become better and faster.... but it takrs lots of time. Take some time as well to read some sim racing guidez, there are plenty out there. last advise, dont play with car settings at the beginning and choose a ' slow car' like the f3.
    thats how managed to get out the initial frustration... more or less;)

15. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I wouldn't worry too much about what anyone else feels is "Sim enough". The game has a lot of aids for a reason and those that use any or all of them can have just as much fun playing as someone that uses none. Play the way you enjoy it best. If turning aids off becomes frustrating, it isn't fun. ISI wants everyone to enjoy their game, so they gave the options for that to be quite possible.
    Now, if you find that reducing aids or even turning them off entirely is working well for you, great. If not, then return them back to where you have the most fun.
    When I first started playing race sims, I used a number of aids too. I would reduce them little by little as I became more familure with the games and gained experience playing. It took a few months but I finally got the hang of it and have been playing without them (save the Auto Clutch) for years now. If I wasn't comfortable with them off, I would be using them today. I play for fun and if I wasn't able to enjoy my time in the game as is, I wouldn't think twice about turning on options to correct that. No shame.
    I'm glad to see you are now limiting things. It takes little steps, since we are not actually in a car and don't have all the sensations a real car will give us to warn us what is going on with it's chassis at speed. IMO, that is what throws many people off when not using aids. It is the lack of feel and learning to overcome that and go by the little cues the game offers. FFB and tire noise are about the only two things we can really use in the game as opposed to those offered when driving a real car.

16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Why your posts are always very long?:D

17. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Because if I post short, people misunderstands me a lot, which is not fun at all, there has been cases where I have considered having a layer to form words so that there is no chance of misunderstanding, however they cost a lot and I'm poor, so I try to write enough that there would be no misunderstandings :)

And I'm really fast at typing (score 63 at http://www.typingtest.com/index.html), also ramble too much.

18. jomardi

jomardi Registered

there is nothing surprising! I Think, ISI - SIMBIN and other SIMs must finish to make available assists. what is the point, play SIM with AIDS?!

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

:cool:

20. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Many people, myself included, have found reducing AA to 2 fixes the Tree problem.