Why are all the servers disabling assists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willpinataman, Dec 6, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

+1, wise and true..
    (or sometimes you dont, but thats another story)

2. coops

coops Banned

+1 and remember this is a SIM not ARCADE RACING... 1st thing you have to learn.

3. LowRider

LowRider Registered

I approve your attitude. But this raises the question for me, why not F7 (auto shifting) too?
    Especially since it gives no advantage, but rather exactly the opposite.

It isn't against you. But i's like in rf1. Many servers allow all kinds of help, exept auto shifting. Just wondering about the reasons.

Don't get ne wrong, i did not use any help. But i know some people who use it, and some of them maybe need it just to be able to play rf2 etc.

4. ORA-Oldie

ORA-Oldie Registered

I'd advise turning off all the Assists and continue to practice as much as possible so that you can build your driving skills to a higher level and become more competitive online. Not sure about rF2, but in rF1 the use of assists also slowed the car a percentage to compensate for the ease of driving compared to people using no assists.

Take each day as an opportunity to learn more and grow more.

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

yes, I used to have all aids turned on some years ago at EAs times, I did win races against AIs, when I turned aids off, I started to feel IRL feeling on my pedals and wheel, Im not going back, no way!!

(Being 10th at the servers is a drawback, but I dont mind, faster people are faster, good for them, but I get better everyday and I have fun!!)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  6. Miro

Miro Registered

I am just wondering why nobody manufacturers FFB break pedals.
    I think this stuff would sell itself.
    It is possible to do that or isn't it? :confused:

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

well, a good question, I often thought about it, I suspect its difficult, braking feel is a delicate one, feeling brake disc surface, can it be done??!! (though drive-by-wire is the future)

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Fanatec CSP V1 and V2 do have a vibration motor on the break pedal. With the fanaled plugin it is possible to configure that you get feedback on your break pedal when your tyres lock. Great for learning a track/car and .. i should stop talking cause nikos is reading too .. :)

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

We had also kind of code at the server, if someone spins, rest slowed down and that one could join where he was, then everyone sped up again, thing was we did enjoy more of close racing than winning.

Whole race no more than car length apart from each other, often no more than 1 meter, no, not oval racing, also switching places and so on, much more racing than those typical 5 lap races where you got first after major crash at 1st turn and drove alone rest of the laps and won.

Anyway worth to try, good way to have friendly atmosphere at server and surprisingly small amount of wreckers. Problem is that you need 1 experienced driver with right attitude for each 2-3 new drivers.

10. ORA-Oldie

ORA-Oldie Registered

There's the two most important things about Sim Racing... "I get better everyday".. &.. "I have fun!!"

If everyone could keep these two things upmost in their motivations, online racing life would be much more awesome.

1 person likes this.
  11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

+2

I think assists are pretty 'bad' when you're driving a sim. Here is why I think that.
    If you have all of that stuff on, or most of it, it makes you lazy. Although you obviously
    still can have your fun, when you turn those off you're probably going to drive just the
    same as when they were on and will probably spin out on every odd corner. Having these
    on makes you drive the car in a way it's probably not meant to, full throttle before the apex,
    no problemo, right? For example the ideal line. Surely it shows you where to drive,
    but it doesn't teach you how to drive! Learn to use the track, learn how the car
    handles, learn to find an apex and learn to brake! If you can't figure it out, watch videos
    or ask fellow racers! Not everybody is as elitist as some people make them out to be that they
    don't want to help you :p

And the biggest misconception of smiracing for me, which in all honesty after all these years
    I can't get my head around. People plainly stating they use assists because they play for
    fun. How is learning a car and track while improving lap by lap considered not fun?
    Clearly everybody is different but with my small explanation, it could very well be that using assists
    are the base for this misconception. It's a small catch22 I guess. The misconception starts when
    inexperienced drivers turn on as much assists as they can to be able to stay on the track. When they turn
    them off they drive the same and fly off everywhere. 'Well this isn't fun, let's turn everything back on again!'
    Consequently, I think these guys are missing out. Battling for half a race for the podium while on or just over the
    limit, tires wearing out, car getting lighter, sweat in your buttcrack, hands getting cramped, that's fun for me, thats
    the adrenaline rush!

So yes, the best tip every I think, turn all of that crap off, and drive the car like you normally would, heck, even try and only use gear 2,3 and 4. Just imagine
    it's your actual car you are driving on that virtual track, if you are still spinning out at every corner and can't stay on
    track, well, I heard Mario Kart is fun as well ;)

Long post actually, just to summarize, in my opinion, assist users' experience could be even more fun if they throw all of that out of the window (gradually!! turn 1 assist off at a time!)

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Just another positive for my 2 version sim idea........" make way for the crazy man ". lopl

1. Everyone would realize if you buy the normal ( aids) version that most will be using aids, seems logical to me.

2. Be strange for someone to set up a no aids room with the normal ( aids) version .............like what would that make him ? .... a showboat ? lopl

3. If you want to drive with Pros you would buy the Pro ( no aids) version and access to Pro server.

Either version would not matter, there would be no debate , no argument ever again. :)
    (......well maybe a bit among aids users in the normal version but we will let them worry about that )
    lopl

Bit suss for aids users to ban aids they do not need, use or like......." one man's aids is another man's ............... " p

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That sounds silly.

And who would those 'pros' be? Some guys in their bedrooms racing behind a desk? (don't take too seriously, but we're just some guys playing a very realistic sim ;) )

To me it's perfectly fine the way it is, assists for the people who can't do without, and the possibility
    for people who don't want them as well. No problem unless you make it into one, ISI have better things to do ;)

14. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

As far as i know, drive-by-wire is not allowed on systems that are safety-relevant. So i guess we won't see it on brakes and on steering in the near future.
    FFB in the pedals would be awesome! But i think, if someone would want to get the brakes feeling right, he would need to include a hydraulic system into the pedals. Electric systems could be hard-pressed to produce the torque needed and pneumatic systems would just feel wrong, since gas is kompressable...so it feels too much like a spring

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Typical you miss the whole point and are simply offended by the thought I think aids drivers should be separate species.

Which is not what I said at all.

Perfectly fine for you.
    My way you get the choice. ?

Tell me if you were a big iRacing fan and they said we are making aids in iRacing2 ...... no debate.
    But you had a vote for :
    1. One version that includes the aids
    2. A seperate version and server for the aids

If my idea is so silly you tell me what they would vote ? lmao

16. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Again, one version with everything in it. I still don't get why in the world you want a seperate version when you are free to turn everything on or off whenever you feel like in the normal version?

To me this only sounds like a nightmare concerning updates or patches, possible mods and conflicts, mismatches, etc.
    This whole thing is taking a non issue and making it into one if you ask me. If you think that offends me, well, think again :p
    If anything, it's easier to build aids into a proper sim with the ability to turn them off than to make an arcade game with forced assists into a sim. The latter is probably not what you are aiming for but just to state an example. I think ISI is right on the money with what they did concerning assists.

If some people are so keen on assists that they even want a seperate version of the game just for that maybe you shouldn't want to be playing sims in the first place cause it negates the entire feeling of being in full control of the car in that particular sim. Why bother?

edit:
    I actually liked iRacing a lot including the fact you had only 1 camera view, and no aids. Personally, perfect(aside from the costs which diminished my fun a bit, haven't played in over two years), and suits my opinion, if one can't do without aids, stick to arcade games :)

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

All you did is reinforce my idea to me.

Why object to something that will not concern you either way. ?
    Why the dilemma or objection when you get a choice ?

If you want to run aids you buy the normal version you still free to run no aids. ?
    In Pro you not. ? So you not happy that others can do that .......okay ...... lol

Excuse me rF2 dont have mismatches you thinking of your other sims.
    Why would it be nightmare of conflicts. ?
    Any car in real-life with aids would have them in the Pro version obviously, that would go for either version. ?

So are you are saying that iRacers would not mind the next version having aids and having to share the one server .......... like fun. lol

No, they would want aids users to have their own version and own servers to play on.

So what is so crazy about doing the opposite. :)

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Two things I have hard time giving up are anti lock-brakes and auto-shifting :D It's hard to concentrate both on handling of the car and things like shifting a gear and breaking proberly. And I do not have all the aids on because that is not fun for me either.

I often get this light and "on ice" feeling when I try to drive without aids. Racing cars should feel grippy and heavy. Anyway, I totally agree that you should feel somekind of cramps in your hands while and after driving :D

I have so limited time with this great game so I do not want to sacrifice all the time learning to master the cars with no aids. I want some action! :D

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

First of all, I'm a developer myself, and two versions of the same thing with some options missing or added is definately not something I would choose to do because of those types of issues which can and probably will occur.

What if friends want to go race together. They are close to each others level which makes it really fun to chase each other around the track. On of these friends however hasn't got his braking sorted for example and is running stability help on low or medium. Now this means in your case they can't have fun together any longer, right? I just don't like the fact that you would divide people and some people might not be able to race each other anymore because of this. For offline use, I see even less of any point in having two seperate versions.

I fully agree that every aid which exists in the real car should be in the virtual, for example such as traction control or launch control in the older days of Formula 1.

I found that the best recipe for action is to get aquinted with as much people who are right at your level. If you can choose between:

1. full field without assists, 10 seconds off of the aliens' pace, fighting till the finish
    or
    2. racing the very fast guys including your assists and loosing 10 places the first 3 laps

I'd know what I would choose ;)

About the feeling like driving on ice, it's a bit explainable. The biggest problem I have with sims we drive at home is the lack of the in the seat feeling. It's very easy for us to go way over the limit of what a car or tire can handle where as in real life you would sometimes need to struggle to get near the limit. This is something that has been and probably will haunt us for some time cause it's simply just that, a simulation, and that can only be taken so far. Only in some professional sims you get that feeling of fear/anxiousness, and you get a bit of the feeling back of not daring to go faster for example. It's the latter feeling that we do not have it all or is very easily put aside since we're just sitting on a chair behind a desk or in a stationary rig. Consequently I think the more realistic the rig and sim in combination, the slower your laptimes will initially be. I didn't test this though but it seems like a conclusion which makes sense to me :)

edit:
    @DurgeDriven
    But that is just the problem, the choice is there now already? Use them or don't use them?

I don't appreciate you laying words in my mouth like that, who am I to speak for all iRacers? I'm merely stating my opinion, just as I do in the case of rF2. Consequently, what makes you think you can speak for all of them? Assisted servers could be done in iRacing in the future very well. But, isn't that the same thing we have in rFactor for years now?

If the non assisted version is actually released, well here come the pad drivers, or the keyboard drivers, or the whatever. Can you see the problem here?

Again, I think this is a total non-issue and ISI shouldn't be bothered to take this seriously in consideration.

20. Pits

Pits Registered

As for Auto-Shift (as asked) it's actually never come up, I think most guys are more about getting the car to handle a bit more friendlier and A/Shift has never being mentioned, if it was requested and I was running the server at that time I would certainly turn it on.
    Our club did a vote, Aids or not, I did expect at least 50/50 knowing our guys are mostly over 50's and had a working brain but I was wrong I was the only one and this effected me negatively for weeks, just couldn't grasp it, still can't.
    More help for us not so good guys = more on-track time that leads to a better finish etc etc.
    Calling it a sim is just a reach I say fun is fun and the rest is what it is and that's still ok.