Which sim is best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TonyRickard, Jun 5, 2011.

1. simfan

simfan Registered

Mrtrent is right . Rf1 is now really outdated.

I'm playing rf1 still, but I'm not blind.

You know this words ? :D

It's time to say goodbye :D

It's time for rf2 :)

2. Until there is a good F1 mod (from scratch or converted) for rF2 I will let my rF1 installed...

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
  4. simfan

simfan Registered

Yo kid, I'm not playing iR :D

best regards
    sims expert

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Best netcode EVA!!!!!!

6. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Anyway, useless flame war thread. No civil talking at all.

1 person likes this.
  7. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

It works in NKPro. It just needs more control on the brake to avoid losing revs than other sims. Probably to do with the grip. There is some technique to "mashing". If you try it in LFS, don't forget to turn off traction control on the XRG.

You disagree about real life? I don't really know what to say to that as he teaches this to his 'car limits' students and the vid's been posted around numerous sim forums.

The transmission pre-selection issue is caused by trying to model realistically what the transmission is doing when we haven't got FFB hardware to constrain and inform our inputs. But the shift happens when the conditions in the transmission are correct e.g it's unloaded. It's the opposite of 'arcade' in intention. It's fundamentalist. LFS has a different solution, which I probably prefer, but it's still problematic. My feeling is I'd rather compromise on how the transmission behaves but allow for the inputs to be as real as possible. Otherwise it encourages unrealistic behaviour and can actually make it more difficult to shift realistically. Most iRacers seem to like it though (I think I'm right in saying that).

8. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I couldn't agree more...

You guys need to stop showing these videos as if they're definitive proof. You can pull up a similar or stranger video for every simracing game out there, bar none.

LFS horrible physics and laggy netcode:

rFactor horrible physics (just do a search for rFactor lag and you'll find plenty of examples of their horrible netcode, too):

netKar horrible physics and netcode:

I hope you realize my point is that none are without issues, and posting a video as "proof" means virtually nothing. I don't ACTUALLY believe that any of them have bad physics or netcode. There's only so much you can do at this juncture with realtime collision detection and reaction. As we can see, there are still a LOT of somewhat regularly occurring instances where the physics just explode. And just because someone has lag does not necessarily mean the netcode sucks. Personally, I'm stuck with 1mbps DSL. So I get lag issues with WHATEVER I play, but I don't post a video online and claim that the netcode sucks for every single game I play.

@cdnracer: I enjoy your discussions when you actually put some reason and an argument behind your point, but seriously dude...you need to stop trying to flog a dead horse. We all get that you hate iRacing (but why you have a subscription if you hate it so much is beyond me: it seems foolish to subscribe to a service just so you can talk about how much it sucks. That's ok, though, they're laughing all the way to the bank...they'll tell you to keep right on payin'. 'cause nobody you rant to will take you seriously, so it's not like you're turning away business!). And everyone is ok with that. What I don't believe any of us are ok with is you calling people names, whether it be 'fanboy', 'idiot', that they 'know nothing' (how could you possibly know that?), or any of the numerous others you've used, and starting a flame war. I've been trying to figure out your angle...are you playing 'devil's advocate' for kicks, or are you really THAT immature (because there's no other way to describe that sort of behavior)? Keep the hostility directed where you really mean it to be, presumably toward iRacing, and away from the other users on this forum.

Now, back on-topic: Did anyone else happen to notice Tim's comment in the 'Minimum/Recommended Systems Spec' thread: "...rF2 isn't a short-term thing like rF1 was in many ways..." I'm curious what this means: are we going to be getting continuous updates for years to come? Will the engine itself be modular enough to be upgraded as technology updates? I might have to take back my original criticism that rF2 won't remain as top dog for very long. Besides, it is looking like leaps and bounds above the rest as far as simulating dynamic properties (track surface, tire wear, time of day, weather, etc.). If we could get the iRacing tracks and all their laser-scanned glory (and be able to use all that data) into rF2, we'd have a near perfect sim (for the state of the art, anyway).

9. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Personally I would be happy to pay for updates but I am not sure everyone will agree. One of the big problems with sim development is what feels like slow pace as developers have to earn a living with commercial projects. We as sim racers moan but seem to moan more about paying for stuff (normally which "should have been included in the first place")

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I would pay 2-3 times more for rFactor 2 if I'd be sure, it will have all necessary features (already mostly covered in community questions) like we expect from a proper modern sim modding platform. Obviously, most of us already expect to stick with rF 2 for the next few years (5-6?) so it's only about how good will it be.

11. Revvin

Revvin Registered

I'm sure rF2 will be a great platform for modding but I think it will end up like rF1 which has been mostly made up of a sim racing version of body snatching - conversions from old sims complete with low quality textures, lack of scenery and low quality track surface. For me the worst thing to happen to rF1 was the convertors from GP4 and the like. Perhaps it might be a little better with rF2 with more people making tracks from scratch? might even get a few more laser scanned tracks too.

12. Omicron

Omicron Registered

I rather have GP4 tracks than no tracks at all. Everyone can update textures to their liking, thats the great thing about modding. To make an accurate track or a car physics is much harder task, there just isn't enough data available for us. Modders have to improvise and only experienced modders seems to get it right. rFactor community have now much more great modders, than we had before. I'm sure, there will be more quality mods for rFactor 2 and much sooner than they arrived for rFactor.

13. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

I hope to find more and more content from ISI too not only the mod comunity, there are some of us who want high quality tracks and cars, quality isn't free of charge so I'm ready to pay. I don't mind about the laser scanned thing, not a priority for me, if they don't want to pay for licensed tracks they can create interesting fictionals layouts with realistic physics, detailed environments, buildings, colors, post processing stuff.. something like GT4/GT5 fantasy tracks but using the power of a 2012 pc.

14. Revvin

Revvin Registered

I'd be happy to buy expansion packs from ISI, it doesn't have to be world premier tracks as there are some great club circuits around the world. A British club circuit pack would be great, a pack made up of circuits like Thruxton, Oulton Park, Brands Hatch, Mallory Park, Snetterton, Rockingham etc.

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Sorry dudes but mashing brake and throttle at the same time does not save a car from a spin. Of course maybe Bob Bondurant is wrong?! LMFAO.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
  16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

What always susprise me, that iR takes energy from no-where. I have seen a front wheel of some OW car which doesn't stick on any surface (car stays upside-down) and in a moment started to spin.
    On those videos (and lot more on YT) we may notice that cars shot into space after a crash got a lot more energy than provide by their speed and mass.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think that's game-wide. I've had the chance to try iR and had a go at doing this in the MX-5; not only did it go down a gear as soon as I moved the shifter (while keeping the throttle flat), I blew the engine as soon as I tried shifting down 2 gears. So I don't know whether what you've described is a bug in the Mustang, or a simulation of a real life gear-change protection system in that car, but it's apparently not an 'iRacing thing'.

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Sorry bud but it works in the mx5 as well. I'd bet my left nut on it as I just tried it after reading this. :)

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Some real racing transmissions will not allow you to change gears without depressing the clutch fully. Since nothing can physically prevent you from moving your gear-lever into another gear in sim-racing iracing simply doesn't change gears until the clutch allows it. Might explain what your experiencing.

A few rFactor mods employ a similar Dog Gearbox system. Ferrari F40's and the new Toyota MR2's.. http://www.f1elites.com/forums/index.php?app=uportal&code=9

20. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

CdnRacer is right in what he describes but the problem with the iRacing transmission system is that it relies on some imagination due to the limitations of shifter hardware. In most transmissions you put pressure on the lever and it won't come out of gear until the transmission is unloaded (lift or clutch). With our home PC shifters you can do what you like with it. The iRacing transmission model simulates the pressure applied when you move the lever. The lever shouldn't move but iRacing can't stop it. Therefore it needs some imagination and if people exploit it to pre-select it then it ruins the experience for them. Every transmission modelling I have seen is a compromise and iRacing's is compromised in this way. There are alternatives (grinding to force the driver to try again for instance) but none that I have tried are perfect. My personal view is that there is no really immersive gear selection simulation until we get better hardware (Todd Cannon is looking to produce a unit that will not physically shift until the software says it can). Up until then it is down to preference unless there is a cracking model I haven't seen?