[REL] [Virtua_LM] Le Mans 1991-1996 (v1.00 released)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by ethone, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MHansen

MHansen Registered

Hey Ethone,

Will you be doing a more recent version of Le Mans? As far as I see it is just a new skin for the Dunlop bridge, minor changes to the pit and a bridge at the Porche curve.

Cheers

2. ethone

ethone Registered

There have been very substantial changes to the track since 1996.
    Off the top of my head:
    - extension of the pitlane
    - new "pit village" with several complex new buildings
    - that Michelin-display at the end of pitlane
    - redone Dunlop chicane (slightly further back, more like two corners instead of one, smaller radii)
    - Esses instead of the chicane de la forêt
    - the MMArena was built
    - Tertre Rouge was reconfigured substantially
    - a lot of fences were built along the Hunaudières
    - major redevelopments of the commercial area to the east of the Hunaudières straight
    - new golf course/house at Mulsanne
    - reprofiled entry to Indianapolis, added tarmac run-off
    - new runoff at Arnage, new curb/slightly larger radius by extension of the track
    - new runoffs at Karting and Corvette corners as well as the exit of the Porsche corners (where Loic Duval crashed heavily this year)
    - new curbs and removed tirewalls/guardrails at the final chicane

3. MHansen

MHansen Registered

I really didn't know that there had been changed that much to the circuit. But if I compare, the Esses is there in 1999, but I do see the change around the Dunlop chicane. In any case, do you think you would be doing a newer version of the Le Mans track in the future.

As far as I see it, I would be happy just to get the track updated and then let the buildings come in time. Unfortunately, modding is not my strong suit otherwise I would have offered to pitch in.

4. ethone

ethone Registered

For the time being I'm doing what I'm doing. If anyone wants to help out, particularly with textures or some of the further off trackside objects like houses, let me know.

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Get in there, all you mod savvys out there! :)

Wish wish wish I had anything to contribute with other than cheering. :)

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

6. juankyskys

juankyskys Registered

Reading your work in LM a big effort for someone alone.

Hope new improviments in climb curvs because sometimes when go up have Big crash with damages in front wing or rf2 ctds.

Could be someting with hard and lowest car setups?

7. RNeves

RNeves Registered

Great track this one!!!

You would be the perfect guys to create a 60's or 70's version of the circuit, without the chicanes... :D

The houstons need it badly!

Keep up
    ;)

8. rigodon

rigodon Registered

First of all, thanks for all your work, ethone. I'd like to ask if there's any chance of having a quick fix for those invisible walls already reported.

9. ethone

ethone Registered

Do you mean the report from here?
    If so, there are no invisble walls there. It probably is caused by the physics flunking out over the saw-tooth curbs. The only fix from the track-side would be to change the shape of the curbs, making them unrealistic. That is not something I want to do on principle.
    If it happens with a third-party car there might be something off in their suspension code or their collision detection mesh.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, let's confirm if it's third-party cars or not. Some of them "hit walls" on the grass or in lots of other spots because the collision code is screwed-up in some way and the bottom of the car "catches" on objects or edges that the ISI cars do not.

11. ethone

ethone Registered

There can be issues with ISI cars too that aren't track-related or -fixable. The Nissan 370Z is prone to flipping over on the curbs. Sometimes it's just the nature of the simulation and there's nothing to do without compromising the track. Just as a heads up. :)

12. MHansen

MHansen Registered

Ethone, what tools do you use for modding? Especially for the track layout?

13. ethone

ethone Registered

Mostly my brain, a monitor and a mouse. ;)
    I use lofts as much is reasonable (track surfaces, guardrails, terrain lines you can describe with a spline). With lofts you'll want to have some artificial randomness introduced later or through related objects, to break up the perfect lines you'll likely create.

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

You realize he still doesn't have an answer to this question, right? :p

15. MHansen

MHansen Registered

Hehe, I was thinking more about what Software you use? Because I don't have access to 3DSMax.

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

17. ethone

ethone Registered

3ds max is the classic and generally most sophisticaed software to use. The student licenses would be a way to use it without investing a ton of money.

3dsimed also exists and I've never used it. I'm fairly certain it's less sophisticated than a "full" 3d modelling suite but I'm not sure if that means you couldn't produce good looking tracks with it.
    Blender would be a free alternative to 3ds max, although you are likely to have to do some juggling of the objects to get them into rF (probably through 3d simed). There are some plugins for Blender in development, so who knows...

Your first tracks will be huge learning experiences anyway and there's a ton of stuff you'll learn in 3dsimed as well as Blender. Let me know what you intend to do and perhaps I can be more specific. :)

18. MHansen

MHansen Registered

Well, I would really like to try to redo your version of the Le Mans track to a more recent layout and with your permission, reusing as many of the objects you have created, as I can. For now, my plan is to use Google Earth path to create a detailed rough layout of the track, use GPS data to get the height differences of the track and then use a plugin to create a splined version of this track.

Cheers

19. ethone

ethone Registered

Well that's fantastic. :) I'm already working on that, but if you'd like I'd be very happy to have someone help with it. It's just such a monumental project.

The layout itself is mostly done (using the "old" layout plus the re-done sections like from start/finish to and including Tertre Rouge, a fix to Mulsanne, the slightly enlarged exit at Arnage, a fix to the entry of the Porsche curves and all the new runoffs that have been built) but there's still a whole lot left to do. Let me know if you're interested and how to best reach you and I'm sure we can find something interesting for you to do. :)

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Exciting times! Long live collaboration, especially the kind that goes on in this community. :)