Very high poly testing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jtbo, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I see something strange in the mesh (it looks soooo dense and smoooooth, but bumpy)...are you using Nurms sudbivisions? If yes...this do not help at all for mapping and GFX performances...

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I know that I have seen word Nurms, I do not understand what it is and what it does, I know that is 3d model, but I have no ability to make such model, so I really don't know how it is made, for me it has lines like other models.

Only blue body is high poly, everything else is separate gmt at the moment and those are not high poly, maybe bumpy you see is in blue parts or at black parts? My eye is not very good with these things, there could be hole and it could take me week to notice it.

You can see some of wiremesh at car modding help section, topic photographing reference... if it makes things more obvious or not.

What little I know is that front section is much higher poly and originally was separate object, it still is not welded to body as I'm not allowed to modify mesh.

There are however many things why I would like to make new mesh, but it might take time as I'm still learning to see, that is difficult one.

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yep. I'm talking about the blue part and yep...the picture you've posted in the other forum show a nurms (Non Uniformal Rational Mesh Smoothing) subdivision for the body, and maybe a turbosmooth on the front:

[​IMG]

This is not good at all for a game engine. Nurms are converted to tris (you can't render nurms in a game), and all those messed up lines get you a post-triangulation with a TON of vertices, triangles and mesh distorsions (tensions). The result is a bumpy surface with useless polygons everywhere... and a pain in the ass for the unwrapping stage...

Remember that every iteration of nurms subdivision create x4 polygons...so if your bodyshape polygon mesh have 10K polys, you'll get 40K with just 1 iteration, 160K for 2 iteration, 640K for 3 etc... That's a non sense for the game engine...

To understand what I mean, I suggest you to turn Off the option "Edge Only" in the body istance...and make the mesh editable. You'll see what really happens to the model when you export it for the game and you'll get the real polycount in the viewport statistic. I guess you'll get a enormous amount of tris just for the front of the car.

These are "tensions" I was talking about:

View attachment 3307

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Thanks Tuttle, I do not understand it all yet, I need to search what some things are that you mkentioned, but I know those mysterious dark things that appear from nowhere and which I have had no solution for, but I think that now I understand why they become.

I did look Original file, it says MeshSmooth, it is different from TurboSmooth, but perhaps equally bad?

Original model has some issues with vertices not being welded, I believe that is also creating some of those dark areas, I remember having that myself at one point when I did do Kantti cars (those very ugly ones), then I learned that you need to weld vertices which helped quite a bit.

It might be best that I just try to make new model, without possibility to edit current one and with issues that I'm finding, it might be best choice, just not the fastest choice, but with this car I have no rush, I hope that I can have some day perfect model for it, but that is then some day.

For damage to work really well, I need to have vertexes no further than 10cm apart, preferably 5cm apart or closer, that might kill performance of course. That is unless ISI has some big changes to damage system planned.

5. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Yes it is almost equally bad. With game modeling, one should stay away from those unless there is something very particular that needs mesh smoothing. I happen to have the Volvo model and it is clear that it is modeled in rendering purposes, not for use in gaming. It would be loads of work to lower the quality of the model, and so the fastest way would to remodel whole car - game usage in mind.

But the dense mesh is true in means of damage. When we have vertex damage it is just beneficial to have dense mesh, but then it is also away from performance. Difficult decisions indeed...

In the other hand, maybe we could have some super detailed cars (all bolts and rivets and parts, plus very dense mesh for damage) that are not meant to be driven in 50 car groups.

[​IMG]

Six pieces of this was built, so it would be unrealistic of having a field of 50 of these ;)

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yeah, model was made for university course, it is meant for show mostly.

With damage one can always start thinking most probable hit locations, areas where hit would need to move vertices certain way to create desired result, for example doors are good to be 3x3 mesh (so one don't get whole door moving at impact, but gets dent to some different parts to door for example) for damage, but it always comes with a cost.

I believe that Maximum detail should be something truly impossible to use now, but in future as machines improve it will become possible to run that highest detail too, well that is what I'm trying with Volvo as I wish to re-create car virtually, bit like a museum piece that way, but one you can drive and crash.

Of course different mods will have to have different goals for detail levels, when purpose of mod is to have group fun, it better perform well in large groups too and even with complex tracks like city.

I can't run rF2 well in Monaco with 60's formulas unless I set HDR off, track detail low, texture med, no AA, trilinear, no shadows or reflections, everything turned way down and I only drive alone in practice mode, still get one corner where fps drops below 60, so getting lot of cars to run on such complex tracks is challenge.

7. Alex Chng

Alex Chng Registered

Hi All...I am totally new to rfactor and rfactor 2. Had purchased the lifetime subscribtion, however, I notice in some youtube videos that there are tracks and cars which I am not sure where to downloadthe MOD files ? Example like the Sebring track etc....can you guys advise ? Thanks.....

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

9. Golanv

Golanv Registered