Track scenes need rework after last update

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Jka, May 25, 2012.

1. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Has anyone else noticed how new build differs from build 69?

At least in my track scene, specular effect is way more powerfull than before, vivid color textures got more deeper hue and so on.

Especially in RealRoad shader this is very notable as specular effect "burns through" from the surface (needs at least spec power re-adjusting and maybe remapping of spec map). Also grass shader produces way more deeper "green" output than before.

This is good thing, because now we can reach deeper contrast on scene without creating powerpowered HDR profile. IMO overal lightning got much better now, I like it! :)

Cheers!

2. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

yea.. not into the modding myself but I guess this is typically the BETA fase... I think thats why a lot of modders decide not to release content till after rF2 goes gold, exactly for this reason. Ah well, it's up to the modders to decide if they wait, or to adapt their mods to the various updates. Especially now they are working on the graphics ATM

3. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

I'm glad you like the changes to the lighting. It really has widened the operating window of the textures, and they're a lot more predictable too now :) .

4. ethone

ethone Registered

I'm not at home for a few days but I read DRS is now enabled - is there a way/need to define DRS zones on our tracks now or is it just the "basic" open-whenever-you-want practice/qualifying DRS behaviour that's modelled on the cars?

5. Luc Van Camp

You can specify zones in the GDB. Here's an example:
    Code:
    RearFlapWetThreshold=0.5   // max wetness allowed for rear flaps to be used (any session)
    RearFlapZone               // zones for using rear flaps in race sessions
    {
      MinimumCrossings=3       // times detection must be crossed under green before it is allowed
      TimeThreshold=1.0        // seconds behind another vehicle for it to be allowed
      DetectionLapDist=3269    // distance around track where time threshold is detected
      ActivationLapDist=3907   // beginning of zone where it can be used 
      DeactivationLapDist=450  // end of zone (yes, the zone can be wrapped around s/f, or not)
    }
    You can use Control+H in mod mode to get those distance values. In theory it should be possible to add multiple RearFlapZone{} entries to the GDB, but it's not something we have tested recently.

6. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

@Luc

Can I ask what are realroad shader settings in Mills?

In new build Mills circuit seems to have very nice road reflections which are not exist on rest of the tracks.
    I noticed this only on Mills.

TOD - 3.30 pm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Luc Van Camp

Most of the effect you see here are actually fading mip maps of the specular map, set to fade to a very light grey. It's something I experimented with before the lighting and shader updates. Fresnel is exaggerating this effect, which is probably why you're noticing it just now. It was intended to be something subtle, and it was before the updates. The material settings are pretty much default (i.e. similar to what's available in the Joesville example).

8. feels3

It was a successful experiment, it looks really good. :)
    I wouldn't mind to see similar effect on rest of the tracks.

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I wouldn't advise it.

Creating effect based on mipmaps will give very volatile results. Move camera away or change texture detail in menu and you end up with something that looks different than expected.

That kind of stuff needs to be controlled by shader.

10. Luc Van Camp

Exactly :) .

11. feels3

I agree with you guys, I only meant final effect which looks nice for me :)

12. ethone

ethone Registered

Thanks Luc.
    Is the "Distance" in meters from xfinish along the main path or in number of waypoints along the main path?

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Could DRS zones be overwritten by rfm? I can imagine existing of more racing series so should be possible to set different rules for different racing series (of course not all values, only RearFlapWetThreshold, TimeThreshold, MinimumCrossings). As addition I would suggest DetectionLapDist to be relative to Activation Lap Dist (ie -200m). it will make possible to add it into rfm too.

14. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

I noticed that there's nearly no reflection when wet, anyway the bump and spec effects are much stronger. My cars' reflections used alpha channels of rF1 and they looked totally wrong with rF2, after the update, they were correct. I updated one of these cars in Build 69, it looked fine then. Now it doesn't even have reflections. Some of the new problems could be caused by these changes, but I think this update is good!