The Future of the ISI Packaging system, possible confirmation please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, May 21, 2014.

1. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Not to mention that updating TEAMS.MAS will lead to multiple car instances as the new files do not overrule the old ones, they both gets read. But with updates being incompatible with GetMod it doesn't really matter...

And custom skin is just not an option for bigger leagues running endurance races an wanting to make sure each team has it's own pit stall and garage- it might be fine for casual fun races.

You actually had more control over updates and .MAS -priority in rf(1) - without even repacking or editing the original content.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

PREVIOUS TO LAST post explains very well a real situation.

enviado mediante tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the response Tim, whilst I look forward to the future of rf2 I just wish this area could've been dealt with in a simpler way from the start by separating those non essential items so they could be changed without having to repackage everything and this break online. That's what my initial query was about, is this going to change but seemingly not enough in my opinion but that's just me, I'll live with the way it's been done and will continue onwards. :)

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I get the opposite feeling actually. Yes the guys at ISI do have a lot on the table, but I know that all those incomplete features are contantly being worked on behind the scenes.
    Every time a new build is released we're getting nearer to the point where wet weather, real road etc. can be implemented in a complete state. So I'm not worried, not one bit.

Tim made a very reassuring comment a few weeks back, about the next few builds concerning features and optimization. Things are shaping up that's for sure.

We will get there soon enough. People just need to be patient and accept that these things take time. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but still.
    We have tons of content, beautiful physics and force feedback, plus a hint of how awesome real road and wet weather racing will be.

5. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Your right there a lovely sim. And i suppose rf2 is still in beta stage... Is it not ?

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk

6. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Maybe having come from consoles im not quite used to this beta lark lol

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk

7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

No such thing, rf2 will never go "gold" it's gonna be in ongoing development for years, which I fully support and love about it.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This is one of rF2's biggest forces, the constant development and the fact that it won't be abandoned like so many console titles do.
    This was one of the things that drew me to the PC and real sim racing.
    I was going out of my mind with how things worked with the console racing titles.

This is how it works on the consoles:
    You pay 100 bucks and receive an absolute heap of unfinished junk. Right-o.
    Day 1 patch. Still a heap of junk. Kay then.
    Wait a few months for the next tiny patch. Still a heap of junk. Blood pressure starts rising.
    Another patch and maybe some overprized DLC a few months later. You guessed it... Heap. Of. Junk.
    Developers announce that the last patch was the final one. Oh yeah.
    He gone!

In the following years rF2 will just get better and better. We have so much to forward to.
    This title won't ever feel like it has been abandoned, I'm sure.
    By the time (long way down the line) the devs feel like they need to move on to other things, the modding community will have advanced so much that rF2 will live on for many years to come.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 left beta in January 2013, after that it's called evolving product. Anyway, in my view, as a pure simulator rF2 is not in beta stage. The content recently released is excellent, as soon as you press Race button everything works well, both offline and online. The unfinished stuff has mostly to do with the "supporting structures" around the product, such as GetMod, packaging, tools, interfaces, menu. Those are currently not on same level as the core racing aspect, for example issues Noel mentioned in this thread, which is a shame as it sometimes masks the excellent racing itself.

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

A big part of the evolution of rF2 is targeting these little problems and changing the structure of the game to better deal with them. ISI is admitting that separating mod components wasn't such a good idea and they are doing something about it. GetMod is evolving, the UI is evolving and ISI are learning. I like that they have been watching the forums and listening to feedback and they are willing to change things.