The Future of the ISI Packaging system, possible confirmation please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, May 21, 2014.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I feel some clarity is needed on the direction with which ISI are taking the Package System, with the newly released FR 3.5 2014 car came the inclusion of Sounds & Talent within the Vehicle package structure. But with the important MAS files encrypted (for good reason of course) it blocked any chance we might have to see how this system is working and what direction it could possibly be going in.

As was heavily discussed shortly after RF2s release the need to seperate Sounds, Skins, Talent and other non-physic (see cheatable) related items from the package system was essential to help maintain a decent level of modding oppertunity for those of use who wish to share additonal items at no cost or mismatch to the online system. It would be a great shame if the way forward is to lock everything into a VEH package that needs repackaging by the user when a new Sound file is released by a 3rd party thus breaking onlineability for example sake.

Now some 2 and a half years on we are still in the dark as to ISIs direction and I feel it's time that they could share with us their plan, it's not like this is a top seceret area like a new license they cant tell us about, or even a brilliant new feature, it's a simple area that at the moment seems destined to be locked away and for us to merely speculate about and - as above - it's been a long time now since that initial interaction.

So ISI, I appreciate you're busy with the game in various areas so I'm not expecting a full response within 30minutes!....but at somepoint some clarification on whether Sounds, Skins, Talent etc are going to be easily shareable within the community and how this is going to be addressed - or not - would be great.

Thanks

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

ISI needs to pick someone from the dev staff to become the admin of a league and use the dogfood approach like Microsoft. The packaging system could be so perfect with minimal improvements. Now I feel we just took 10 steps back with this new merged component concept. I've gotten really used to the packaging system and it really isn't that bad. This is the first time I truly think we are headed the wrong way.

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

+1 and "Subscribed"

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

www.legends-league.com

because my brain often farts.

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I don't really care about that you CAN add sounds to the same .MAS (or .rfcmp) - but if textures automaticly gets shared among different cars that's a BOMB under the system. I've not confirmed that this is what happens, but someone in the FR3.5 2014 Spec thread said that you could just use textures from other cars, and a friend of mine DID get a weird looking MOTEC in one of the URD cars recently, which looked like a texture from a BES car :/

6. As a fellow league admin, I really would appriciate this response as well.

Can we expect any easier way to add simple .veh and .dds to new teams joining a league, what about the paintjob updates between the races?

Off topic, a very important feature is not working - rejoin, could we please get this fixed ASAP, we´ve got a 24 hour of LeMans coming up! :)

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

+1, we just need a solution for the fact we need to link track & car in a rfmod today, and we don't want this way of working since the start of rF2 !!! The other point in the packaging system is not bas, only some point missing like the mean to deplay a mas common to several vehicle or track for example for me.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's funny to see a +1 when you then bring up the reason already given for this happening.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

wrong post

10. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I know my comments don't mean jack, as ive been here for two minutes with RF2. But from someone looking in (as I were a month ago) Reading reviews and forums like this, and the possible let down that is the modding community for rf2 this year (it seems) I would be concerned of threads and information like this. Lets think theres other sims out there that are on par with rf2 and maybe lead in areas of the sim, and these guys are jumping on these to mod content to. This packaging system, and ive dabbled in it for skins and names etc. Is frankly quite offputting to the consumers, surely you have plans, I understand. But aren't you supposed to be making a game for us and our needs? not the needs of the devs. Its our money that's funding rf2 .. right? :)

As I said im new here, but its us guys that you want to please and suck in to your game. I don't understand why you cant make an easier system, that's all.. Especially with the consensus the rfs is a tad messy to mod.

11. Miro

Miro Registered

Could be possible it has something to do with the mentioned new online joining thingy.
    Just checking cars and tracks for missmatches and not vMods? Dunno, maybe, who knows. :confused:

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

fwiw Dan, the new system is a mystery to all of us and we have yet to see a dev shine his light on the subject. so I would not jump to conclusions too fast.
    they 'might' make it worse, or they 'might' already have ways to deal with all of the above, we simply don't know.

personally I welcome any radical change in the Core, because rf2 is really getting on my tits more and more. patience is running out so for the love of god bring it on already.

and then I'll whine about it :p

13. 88mphTim

The piece quoted above came across as unfortunately a bit of an ignorant thing to say, Dan. Jeez...

14. 88mphTim

What conclusion? As I've stated, the old cars work. If you want separate sound, who is stopping you? The SND button is still on the mod manager. I realize the forum here is run by a couple of people who like to get worked up, but this is a bit silly.

15. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Hey man, it looks like you know just about as much as I do as to what these guys are talking about. Maybe let the ones who know what they are talking about hash it out among themselves instead of getting involved. :)

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ok this is getting seperated in two threads now, are you saying we can now (and seemingly always have been which is news to me!) release a New Soundpack for cars *without* causing mismatches online? so we dont have to package them up in with the current package anymore?
    Because that's what I was asking in the first post.

17. 88mphTim

I've not said that anything changes whatsoever, except that we're packaging our cars as veh. And that there will be a new tool for others to do it similar, easier, released fairly soon, should they choose to. Should they not choose to, they choose not to, and can still use the components how they want to in a way that works best for them and the features they want their mod to support.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Actually, we don't have a clue.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yes right, but my question (in the first post clear as day) is asking if the Package system is going to change in the future to allow simple adding of Skins, Sounds, Talent (etc) without having to alter the original Package thus no mismatches....no need for the User to open the mas utility, they just download and install = New Sounds (example). Clarification on whether this is ever gonna happen or not, because as I (still) understand it you cannot do it this way currently....again see Big Debate 2 1/2 years ago about this exact scenario.

Again a conversation much simpler person to person rather than on a forum but we cant have everything!

20. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

What this sounds like to me is if the original modder wants his sounds locked they can go into the veh.mas. If not, the old system works. If the changes made help respect the wishes of the original author I don't see a problem with this.