Steering settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew F, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I always lost count how many times I switch between 2nd gear (yes, second) and reverse when trying to maneuver Kenworth to proper direction, too bad some tracks have too small garage boxes for that truck. No help from throttle even torque is in thousands, realistic steering ratio can be bit of pain, but that sensation that real ratio gives makes it up for sure :p

2. martymoose

martymoose Registered

What the game needs is realistic track-side physics simulation with destructible walls, you dont need throttle or artificial low speed lock settings to maneuver a Kenworth out of a tight pit exit, it should be able to make its own exit lol.

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Only when equiped with a 6" steel pipe filled with concrete on the front end instead of the chrome bumper. :)

4. martymoose

martymoose Registered

That's where the beauty of the escape key comes in, after making your exit escape back to pits. You will have a shiny new front end on the truck and a shiny new pit exit to use for the rest of the session.

5. Andrew F

Andrew F Registered

guys, i'm still not right with this steering. i haven't fiddled with any config files yet.
    i notice that whatever the setting, the nose of the open wheeler will not turn at 1 degree increments.
    if i increase sensitivity at 100 per cent, the nose just moves quicker.
    if i adjust the rotation value to say 450 deg it just moves the onboard steering wheel more.
    if i adjust the steering lock it just limits the maximum that a car can turn it's wheels.

none of these things make the car turn smoothly.

imagine a clock, in rfactor the nose turns in minute intervals.
    in rfactor 2 it moves at 5 minute intervals.
    the wheel does not feel connect to the wheels and i have observe this in youtube videos.
    i like the front end to respond quickly to my steering inputs but also, the nose to point precisely where i point it.

if i look at an rfactor controller config and change inputs in rfactor 2, should i get a similar result?
    cheers. i am aware it's a beta but the controls are the first thing which need to be right for me. after all, rfactor is more about feel and physics above all else.

p.s. the inputs are not so notable in clio's and magans.

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If you press ctrl+f what kind of fps you are getting and does fps jump same time with car's nose?

7. Andrew F

Andrew F Registered

i think it's 60fps and upwards. just seen some films/photos i took with fraps (which slows framerate).

it's not the frames - i even notice starting a race at slow speed :-(

8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

There has been issues with some Nvidia drivers that are not really showing up well in FPS, but it goes like this (in dev mode easiest to see with instant FPS counter)

What it looks like is that it is indeed quite clock ticking, when turning it makes car to kind of move in big chunks. I had same with rF1 too and now I don't anymore have that issue, I updated to Beta driver for my Nvidia gfx card and now everything is smooth again, certainly was about a year until they fixed that issue, but if you have Nvidia card try latest beta.

9. Andrew F

Andrew F Registered

thanks mate.i appreciate it, but seriously, it's not the frame rate and it runs smoother than smooth with more than enough fps

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wow, I thought I came across a "hidden" solution to the problem that the steering rotation setting to let the vehicle override the wheel doesn't work on Fanatec wheels. Just set Sens to 0--something I had never tried. Could be because I am using beta firmware and drivers, but when I do that, my wheel and rF2 revert to 240 degrees :(

Works fine with iRacing, but then it makes you calibrate for every car before you drive one for the first time.

UPDATE: New firmware and drivers just became available--now it reverts to 900 degrees instead of 240, but it the "Controlled by Vehicle" ratio still doesn't work for me :(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
  11. Andrew F

Andrew F Registered

i must just thank everyone. altho i had a go on rfactor 2 earlier and was pretty bad at it, i finally got decent steering settings and realised that part of the problem was : a) i didn't have correct car setup right for my style b)i didn't appreciate how nervous the car IS MEANT TO BE at high speeds...i.e.nose getting twitch, more difficult to control etc. it really requires smooth, controlled driving. the clio's, megans etc feel great and easy to control and the ffb is better now on the setting i have. i can actually feel the road with the throttle and brake. apologies to ISI!

one question i have now is....why when i went to change rear springs in open wheeler, did it not allow me to change them? but i could change front springs and in the clio, i wasn't allowed to change any springs. is this because it's still beta stage or am i doing something wrong?thanks again!

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

What you can change in the garage depends on the racing series and what they are allowed change in real life.

So the setup limits are the same limits you would have in that real life series.

13. Andrew F

Andrew F Registered

ah thank you. so you can't change rear springs on an formula isi open wheeler? and the clio didn't have much to change at all lol
    i didn't realise. thanks!

14. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Rear springs editing, in the Formula Masters, is available in the Advanced Setup screen ... third spring values.

Dont know why, i dont know the tech details of its suspensions, may be it is a monoshock car.

15. Andrew F

Andrew F Registered

Yes, it's a new features this car specific setup. suppose it's realistic and makes things easier :) thanks

here's a video showing the handling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zizoD_VMzlg

i'm now assuming it's meant to lose control a bit as i speed up up eau rouge? i.e nose getting away a bit and reduced grip levels.