Steering settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew F, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Andrew F

Andrew F Registered

Well, just came off rfactor last night and tried rfactor 2 for first time.
    Has great potential but i found the steering was all over the place.

the options i see that you can just from are:

steering sensitivity and steering range
    steering rate is for pads only and yaw rate is the same as in rfactor 1 for me (25%)

so looking at range, i set it to 240 for open wheels which matched the SEN (range ) on my CSR.
    this doesn't feel too bad.
    However, regardless of sensitivity, the nose just doesn't seem to turn at 1 degree increments unless the car is really slow. more like 15deg steps

on a straight, i could turn right slightly but the nose would move more than a bit (relative to the wheel).
    i tried reducing sensitivy to 15% but still not quite right.

Problems (help!)

1.Nose moving too much relative to steering wheel (real one)

2.screetching of tryes when turning unless at ridiculously low speed (so trail braking is more difficult)

3.i can only find one ffb setting in the wheel options e.g. 1.01, are there any adjustments elswhere?)

4.i can't find "steering lock" setting which people have referred too?

5.How does the calibrate thing work where you click left or right and what does it do precisely?

Sorry and thanks!

2. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Try the steering lock setting in the car setup garage (once you have loaded the track click on 'garage' at the bottom of the screen, then on the 'general' tab at the top, and steering lock is on that page somewhere) - it's probably too high by default (too high for your 240 degrees of wheel rotation i mean).

I use 17 steering lock with 360' rotation, so maybe 15 or 16 would be good for you. The Brabham has 27 lock by default which is very high if you use a smaller wheel rotation setting.

I can't answer your other questions, sorry.

3. Andrew F

Andrew F Registered

thanks mate.don't worry, that has answered one important question and it's much clearer:D

4. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

No problem. :)

I would try to keep your Steering Sensitivity setting at 100% (this is linear, so it should nearly always be the best setting) and then adjust your steering lock until you are happy with the steering. Steering lock can be adjusted on a car by car basis too so it's a good setting to use.

Edited.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012
  5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

In rF2, 100% sensitivity (default) is linear, not 50% like other games.

6. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Yes, sorry.

Use 100%. I forgot it changed with rF2. :p

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Hehe no worries :p

@Andrew F

ForthRight is correct. You never want to change the in-game sensitivity. By default it's set to be 100% linear.

On your Fanatec wheel, "sens" should be set to 0. Setting it to 0 means your rotation is controlled by the software/game. If you want 240 rotation, set in the Fanatec software, not on the wheel itself.

For a 240 rotation, you should try between 15:1 and 12:1 steering ratio: That means steering lock between 11 - 14 in the garage.

If it's still too "quick" (oversteer) try lowering the steering lock. Higher lock = tighter/quicker steering, lower lock = more loose steering.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Really appreciate you community guys giving the answers people need. Thanks for doing it when/while we can't.

9. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

And make sure "Steering Help" aid is turned OFF and clear the key assignment. There's more than a few folks who wondered what the hell went wrong when it was accidently enabled.

10. Andrew F

Andrew F Registered

tim is right. people on here are quick and a massive help. thank you all!

progress?
    steering sensitivity at 100% IS probably best.
    i've got used to steering rotation - my ind is adapting better.

theguy who told me to reduce steering lock...thanks. it is better at around 11.
    this has reduced the screaching when turning a lot.

however these problems remain:
    i can only see one option to adjut ffb in game - am i missing something?
    the brakes...i've reduced pedal sensitivity to 15 deg, garage - reduced brake to 48/52 (rear bias) and pressure to 85%...yet still, the brakes lock if pedal is pressed at around half pressure on high speed. and...the steering still screaches too much for my liking. anyone got any further suggestions?

the back end comes away with marginal braking when the car is in the turn which doesnt feel realistic.

on the plus side, just checked out graphics for gt endurance at night race following a sunset. looks amazing.

tim, is this the final package regarding steering/braking physics? just wondering. the game looks so promising.
    thanks

11. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Also make sure you have this setup in controller.ini for true linear steering. Same as in RF1 pretty much so most should know this but some may not. By default I think it sets Steer Ratio Speed at 0.2 or something giving more rotation at low speed but make 0.0 to disable this.

Steer Ratio Speed="0.00000" // Speed at which low speed steering lock override ends (for pit navigation, units are meters/sec, 0.0 to disable)
    Speed Sensitive Steering="0.00000"

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

There aren't any more FFB settings in-game so you're not missing anything. Don't know if a GUI for more settings is planned, so for now you'd have to edit your saved controller.ini file.

As for brakes, see if this thread helps: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7101-Are-the-brakes-too-good-in-rfactor2

13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hoppss..I never knew it nor changed it:confused:

14. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I think Steer Ratio Speed is 20.00000 by default.

For those who aren't sure this setting simply allows the car to have more steering lock at very low speed (or rather when you are travelling below a certain speed) - it is really just for getting your car out of the garage in tight pitlanes etc (where a low steering lock makes it more difficult).

I recommend using 0.00000 as well because any artificial 'temporary extra lock' isn't very realistic, however for people who use very low steering lock settings (such as Andrew who seems to be settling for a setting of around 11) this setting is actually useful for the very reason it was created - it can be very tricky to get out of the tighter pitlanes without the extra bit of lock. :eek:

15. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Hehe your probably right about the default but its the first thing I have always changed so not sure what it is. I have made so many changes in my PLR file I may need to make another just to see what all the default settings are.

I use the gas pedal for some of the trickier pit lanes if I dont have enough lock :D would get kicked of a real track for coming out drifting in pit lane but no reports from the marshal's in game yet.

If the default is 20.00 that is 20 meters per second or 72kmh and Id rather not have the game adjusting my lock up to that speed.

16. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I noticed this too. Seems the sim is just not realistic enough yet... ;)

17. Favio

Favio Registered

Hi, I have a similar chatting with other guys of forum a few days ago, we talk about the same thing that you have doubts, maybe can help you.
    Link: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7097-steering-lock

I also have a dumb question, I noticed that I never changed the "steering rate", I use in %1, it's this default settings?. I don't remember if I ever change it.
    How affect this the steering feel?.

18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

.Are you speaking about this "Steer Ratio Speed="0.00000" // Speed at which low speed steering lock override ends"?
    I already checked it in the controller.ini and it's 0.000 by default!I have never edited it

19. Favio

Favio Registered

No, I mean in Controls in game, above Speed Sensitivity :p

20. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

There are other force feedback adjustments at the end of the Controller.ini file.

The file can be found here,
    Documents\rFactor2\Userdata\YourName\Controller.ini

You can change the strength of various FFB effects in that file, but it's too complicated for me! :rolleyes: