Steering Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Welsh Al, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Yep, some good suggestions here.

I have just tried the 180 degree setup, got it working quite well :)

Steering sensitivity 100%
    Deadzone 0%
    Speed sensitivity 50% This one helped slow down the turn-in quite alot
    Exaggerate yaw 0%

Also Garage settings,

Steering Lock 10.2 Degrees

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Someone should take a screenshot so that the OP can see where he needs to adjust the steering lock. :) I would do it, but it looks horrible when I scale down from a triple screen setup.

3. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

4. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

5. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Hehhehe, thanks Pluginz :)

6. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Ah no worries Gearjammer, big enough arrow? lolol :p

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Yeah, pretty sure he will be able to find that area ;)

8. Welsh Al

Welsh Al Registered

Thank you, an excellent point. I meant to say Range, not lock. It was the range that I was changing. The steering lock parameters don't run from 40 to 1400 degrees though...
    The sensitivity is set to 100%, 150% makes it worse, 0% just dulls the response to the problem.

Hi.
    I've tried most of them, it doesn't seem to be a vehicle thing. It was worst with the 1960s open wheel cars, but was still there on the Clios and Megans (now that I got the mods installed, yay).
    At the moment I'm using a nissan 370Z at Croft.
    Mostly in the pitlane.
    Occasionally 30 feet to the left of the first corner :sigh:

Handy advice, thank you, but this is a dramatic problem right from a standing start, which makes it hard to get out of the pit lane let alone round the track.
    It's like the car has wheels from a penny farthing on shopping trolley castors...

I've not changed the ini file for rf2 yet, but as the problem exists with FFB off, I'm not sure how changing the FFB settins will help it, but I'll give it a go.

Had no positive effect. I think I did that to get rid of the god awful head movement. Didn't work then either.
    An ini hack, it may need, mmm?

The Grandma's steering guide seemed promising, showing the Steering Ratio effect.

Except you can't change that, and no amount of difference in the steering range has helped this.
    The Nissan's steering lock was 26%. I usually prefer 14 - 18% for everything from F1 to Batman's Tank...

Changing it to 14% helped, but not much. Still didn't make the 1st corner. See my previous about balancing a ruler.

I don't know what the suspension setting would be to stop the steering toppling.

Thanks, there is a definite change, but the steering still flops. I have now made it through the first corner, but not much further.

And thanks for the steering lock picture. Managed to find the setting on my own, but it was very kind of you.

Is flopping steering the norm in RF2?
    I've driven rally cars and road cars (20 years this year) but no track cars.
    Never had this problem in driving sims before, so never had to deal with it...
    Although I may seem nooblike, I've been doing driving sims since Grand Prix Legends (Commodore's Vic20 and atari 2000something notwithstanding).

Thanks for the replies.

Any other suggestions?.

9. osella

osella Registered

I think not, unfortunately.
    As long as you use the same combination of range and lock (and hence steer ratio, too) as in other sims, cars in rf2 should turn exactly as in other sims. Its no different.

10. Welsh Al

Welsh Al Registered

Bugger.

11. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

On the controller setup page within Rf2 you will have seen the steering input graphic when you move your wheel, does this move really quick to maximum deflection? I think it's called physical wheel vs virtual wheel.
    Have you tried clicking detect on the right hand side of the screen? Perhaps there is an issue with how the game is detecting your wheel, also have you tried re-calibrating in windows?
    From the sounds of it I don't think it's a car setup issue, I'm not familiar with your wheel though so I may be of little use I'm afraid.

12. Welsh Al

Welsh Al Registered

Thanks for all the help.

I know it's hard, especially as RF2 is so new. I can't seem to sort this out.

This is my current controller screen

View attachment 4195

I have the sensitivity set at the linear 100%, which I get on with very well usually.

The Saitek controller software is fine; the wheel works excellently in RF1.

The Detect Controller doesn't work; Cannot find file Saitek R440.

Maybe that will change.

Thanks for trying though all.

Al.

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

A couple of quick questions Welsh AI, First off, is there a reason that you have the steering rate at 100%? I ask only because mine is set to 20% and I think that is the default value. Not sure what exactly it does though, just curious.

Second question, while on that screen, when you rotate your wheel to the far left or right, does the graphic on the top left show you have moved all the way on either side? Does the movement happen really fast or does it seem to travel with the rotation of the wheel?

14. JGraf

JGraf Registered

steering rate is for steering with the keyboard or a gamepad, has no effect on a wheel.

1 person likes this.
  15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Cool, thanks JGraf, now I know and I would guess so do others :)

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Yip I know now too, I`d never given it a thought till now. :)

17. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Is this still happening then?

What operating system are you running by the way?

Can you see full right lock with 100% input in the Windows settings?

[​IMG]

18. Welsh Al

Welsh Al Registered

Hi. I only changed the steering rate to see if I could feel any difference. I couldn't. Perhaps JGraf's right (thanks for that btw). It certainly seems so.

Yes, full rotation on the setting panel is full rotation of the wheel.
    Changes to steering input by changing the steering sensitivity are obvious both in that panel's graphics and in-car.
    This is the same as RF1.

Hi.
    I have as yet found no solution to the problem. I still haven't even been able to separate car setup from wheel setup. I think it's a problem with the way the game deals with the wheel as I can't replicate the steering feel in other games by copying the car setups. It might not like Saitek R440s... there aren't any controller files for them, that I know.

I've got Vista Home 64 SP1.

As for windows, the controller window shows full input on all axes, matching the input of the controller, ie gradual movement of the steering from center to full lock either side, gradual movement of both pedals from rest to full extent and back under the spring's power.

I am finding no problems with the controller in RF1. It is as solid now as it was when I bought it.
    I'm not even seeing any problems in RF2 in the set-up screens. It's only the in-car steering.

Could it be that RF2 is now incompatible with wheels which have less than a 360 degree rotation?
    Much as I'd like to upgrade to G25s or 27s, that's not going to happen until the kids have kids... and I don't even have the kids yet.

19. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

@Al

The Logitech DFGT is a affordable 900 degree steering wheel.

20. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Can you check something?

Run 'msconfig' in the 'start run menu', then goto the 'startup' tab, then see if there is any Saitek junk running at start up. If so, disable and do re-test. Im just wondering if anything is interfering with the game. This may stop any conflicts. Just a thought!!