Steering Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Welsh Al, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Welsh Al

Welsh Al Registered

Lo. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I want to set my wheel up properly, a Saitek R440. It's running fine in RF1, with the sensitivity set to 50% and 1% deadzone.
    I know it's old, but this should make it a known quantity.

On RF2 however, it's unplayable.

The steering in-game, for any vehicle, feels like a flopping fish.

A little turn, and the car spears off to one side.

What factors affect the steering?

I have tried changing all settings, with no substantial improvement.

View attachment 4163

Any ideas?

2. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I think steering sensitivity of 100% in rFactor 2 is the same as 50% in rFactor 1, so you might need to change to 100%.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Does your wheel really only have 180 degrees of range? If so lower your steering angle in the garage screen to minimum and try that.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Yeah, with only 180 degrees of rotation, you might even consider going up to 150 for steering sensitivity so you can turn the wheel a little before you actually get much turn on the tires. 100 is linear and is what most use for their wheels, but most have at least 240 degrees of rotation to play with, heheh.

Also as mentioned above, set steering lock in the garage to the minimum and see what happens. If that makes it worse, change it to max.

5. Welsh Al

Welsh Al Registered

Thanks for replying.

Setting range to 40 and sensitivity to 150 was worst. It flopped badly, with no chance of a straight line.

The wheel does only do 180 degrees, but I'll only use 120 at most. Usual range is about 90. That's all I really need. 240 would be fine in a car park, but Mid Ohio is crap for parking : )

I am convinced that this is not down to the in-game settings. I've moved them all in concert over the last month or so, and it hasn't helped. Marginal improvement with some, huge detriment with others, but nothing like what i get in any other game.

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Put your sensitivity back to 100. In the garage screen you'll see "steering lock". Lower than to minimum. Believe me, a wheel with more than 180 degrees helps, not hinders. ;)

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I think what he was saying is that he normally doesn't need to turn the wheel more than 90 degrees so his 180 should be more than enough and it has worked in rF1. Usually though, when the car is seriously twitchy is because the car's steering lock is set to a value that turns the wheels rapidly for the smallest movement of the wheel. Changing this should take care of the issue, but I will test this to confirm which way you need to go with it.

EDIT: I tested just to be sure and the lower the number for wheel lock in garage general settings, the more you have to turn the wheel in order to make a turn. This should help you out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  8. Welsh Al

Welsh Al Registered

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I'm probably not being clear.

I have lowered the steering range to 40 which seems to be the lowest value, and that didn't stop the problem. I have raised it to 1400 which seems to be the highest, and although it had a definite effect it only made the problem worse.

I'm wondering if it's an incompatibility between RF2 and the wheel.

The steering is like balancing a ruler on your finger. You can work really hard and keep it in a straight line, but as soon as you try to get a bit of turn, it'll go all the way. Immediately.

9. Welsh Al

Welsh Al Registered

Just tried it with FF back on.

If I turn more than say 10 degrees, the wheel gets pulled to the side. Correct for this and it'll just hed off on the other side.

10. osella

osella Registered

Nooo you're setting the wrong parameter :rolleyes:. Put the steering range back to 180. The LESS you set this, the faster the car will turn. Sensitivity should be 100 or more.

What guys meant is steering lock in the garage/car setup, NOT in options. Steering lock is different on every car but usual default values are about 20-30 degrees. With such low range, you want to set it much less, like 10-15 degrees.

11. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Ooh try reversing the FFB to -100 instead of +100 that sounds like exactly what my wheel felt like until I found that out.

12. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

What car are you testing your steering setup on?
    Try a car that it easier to handle than a 60s f1 car.
    Have you tried the speed sensitivity slider? If your wheel only physically moves 90 degrees in each direction you will need a certain amount of steering lock to enable slow corners to be taken. This will certainly help at high speed. I use 100% linear with no speed sensitivity at all but my wheel is absolutely set up for a 1:1 with the sim wheel. You can not do this so a compromise must be reached whether it is at high speed or low speed?
    Personally I would have the wheel oversteer my inputs but dumb down the response at high speed. Your other option would be to map it 1:1 but possibly not be able to make a hairpin bend!

Dan.

13. osella

osella Registered

Wait, now you're talking about rf1, aren't you.. in rf2 theres no -100 to +100

14. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Ini file, -10000 to +10000 I believe

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Look at the graphical drivers hands turning the wheel, make sure your (real) wheel is in same positions

Sensitivity 90 to 100%

16. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

Exactly, but if his wheel only moves 90 each way then he will have to increase his lock. By doing this he will oversteer quite a bit because of the lack of resolution in his inputs?

17. osella

osella Registered

18. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

I know that's why I suggested speed sensitivity, so he can at least put his foot down and possibly not squirrel around too much. It would take some getting used to though :)

I suppose it would also depend on the car in question? My F2 wheel settings don't work too well with the F1 oldies! That's when I use a touch of speed sensitivity!

19. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Ah yeah sorry just fired it up to check and though I could have sworn it was there your right it's not...

20. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

-100 exaggerated yaw will make the game run crap, not a good setting. Set it back to 0 - 20 max