Some thoughts on Realroad...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon Denton, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Jon Denton

Jon Denton Registered

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

rFactor 2 is forcing players to re-think this design. Gone are the days of a “perfect” track that never changes, where the sun always shines and ample grip abounds across the whole track surface. Now we have a new challenge, and one that grants us much more realism. This results in an approach that means that those with the time may not get such an advantage, as a baseline can be established in lone-practice sessions that can cover wing, gear and basic suspension settings, but any serious fine tuning of the setup could be a hiding to nothing if you are not certain of the approaching race conditions. As well as this, running alone will not give you the grip on track that you will see in more populated sessions.

+1

@Jon
    I think you made a mistake on the caption for the first image. It says "skip barber 2000". Unless you got your hands on something we don't, it's the rtrainer. :)

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Great read!:)

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Thoughts on real road..........

It is better then NONE

lol

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

He asked for a few screenshots of the upcoming Skip Barber 2000. :)

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

When,when......?

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Nice!! :D

With a closer look now I see the Mazda symbol on the nose. :p

8. 88mphTim

:) We made a few small visual changes to both the body (shape, and for new physics), and the livery itself (obviously). Larger changes were to the physics, which were updated with information supplied by Skip Barber.

9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

10. jrg_carrion94

jrg_carrion94 Registered

This question goes to Tim.
    So, as Skip Barber has been licensed, will we be able to race with it outside the developer mode?

11. 88mphTim

Um, yes, it's the next car content to be released. That's sort of the point in licensing it... :)

12. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

As exciting as this announce is, does this preclude the possibility of a slick-shod "advanced" version of the car?

13. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Skip Barber
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Have you noticed that at their site under more information, there is iRacing?
    http://www.skipbarber.com/iRacing.asp

Maybe when rF2 goes cold, you could push rF2 to be there too?

I did notice that they have two kind of tires for their car, racing slicks and those closer to semi slicks kind of grooved racing tires, which current rTrainer has, so looks like one get to choose between dry and wet tires in future.

15. 88mphTim

We modelled the National and Regional version of the car. But the grooved tires are dry tires, they use BF Goodrich grooved tires in the dry in that config.

Their partnership extends a bit further than ours, but probably cost a lot more, too. The original livery also has iRacing on it, too, but we got permission to remove for obvious reasons. ;) We'll be doing a little marketing together, but no need to spend too much money. :)

The reason I did this is because it got us access to the data. It is invaluable, as this car is a perfect example of what a school car should be, and is best driven how ANY car SHOULD be driven. It really will punish you for lifting mid-turn, and it'll punish you if you transfer weight too quickly. Jackie Stewart once said that you should not put the throttle down until you know you should not release it again, and this car NEEDS the weight in the rear (throttle down) to be stable. If you adapt your style, and learn this car, it should help your sim racing immensely.

This car has put the BT20 to #2 for me.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Great episode!! He says it @3.20. :)

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Just thought of a cool idea to use with the Skip Barber cars. Have a mod where Skip or one of his instructors talks you through a lap so you can learn how to drive it :)

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

So lift, yank steering and bury the throttle, control angle by steering, that is how I always drive :D Corner without a wheelspin is called straight :p

As I have had bit of limitations accessing dev mode, today I downloaded Speed Dreams, open source sim, while not certainly rFactor 2, it is not that bad, now there is Boxter 96 car that is 911 turbo really, physics were bit weird, so I quickly resarched and applied correct numbers and it is quite fun little sim. Now what that will do is exactly what you describe, makes it kind of interesting to drive.

That free sim has turbo model too, sorts of at least, it is Torcs with better graphics actually.

Clio is bit like that too, one can get it quite well sideways by tapping brakes a bit.

Tim, I think that those license holders should give track day with their vehicle for you, kind of taste this and you can't leave without buying kind of thing. But I guess you have had very few of such offers yet? Maybe include small print into contract that they must offer such in future ;)

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Firstly good news on the SB, never gave the rTrainer a decent go before.
    Personally and this is where I'm not so good at sim racing (above average I guess!), is that I skip (pun intended) between RWD and FWD mods without ever learning to drive each car properly, I rarely stick to one single car for a long period of time and therefore I never get my head down and learn its ways. This SB sounds like the perfect tool for me and I will force myself to drive it and it only whenever it gets released to help me simply get better, then maybe I can move onto the other cars with more confidence and learn them better than ever before.

20. 88mphTim

Any car will punish you for not being smooth really. Like I said, if you can learn from the SB2000, drive is how it MAKES you drive it, you should be better in EVERY car. At the school they tell you to imagine a champagne glass with a ball in it glued to the front of the car. Now when driving, imagine you have to be smooth enough when driving for that ball to not come out of the glass... When you turn, you have to roll the steering into the turn, not sharply turn, etc.

This book is an ideal companion to sim racing, if anyone is interested:
    http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-...8&qid=1352547081&sr=1-1&keywords=going+faster

We will be doing some marketing efforts together. :)