Sim Racing servo ffb systems : OSW & Bodnar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 1, 2015.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That does sound great, best of both worlds maybe :)

2. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Yeah. Assembling a computer definitely looks more complicated than that photo. That looks only slightly more complicated than hooking up a bunch of components to the back of a TV.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

19.5 Nm? What happened to the IONI-Pro being able to drive the small MiGe to around 27 Nm? :(

I can make my RF2 clip meter show massive clipping while my wheel is barely outputting any FFB. Remember, clipping meters show software clipping not hardware so I wouldn't pay too much attention to in-game clipping meters with regards to judging the real-life wheel.

Regarding Ollie's kit, no soldering is required, correct? Other than the couple things listed that don't come with it (steering wheel, QR, etc.), everything is setup besides plugging a few things in (unlike if you where to build an OSW from scratch) and then putting the components in a PC case, correct?

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Is that 21Nm on the large mige tested with that exact psu? Surely it can't be. That PSU's peak current output is only 12.5A (=8.8A rms) which should produce a peak torque of only 14Nm for the (slower of the two) large mige and 21Nm for the small mige. Plus which of the two large mige's are you referring to? I'm referring to the slower one (M15015 instead of M15025).

Wait...sim-pie is out/available already? I checked the website www.sim-pli.city and it looked like it was still in development.

With the same 600W 48V PSU as you've opted for right?

Well the psu the motor is paired with will have a huge influence on that. As i said, the same 600W 48V psu will give the small mige a larger peak torque than the large mige, ~40% higher (19.5Nm vs 13.9Nm). If you're getting Sim-Pie, i don't understand why you're getting that weak PSU then. I thought the whole point of sim-pie was to allow (for example) the large mige to safely go up to 30+Nm (which requires up to 30A pos capable PSU), no?

Well, if i've understood you there correctly, watching his clip meter will only tell you what sort of ffb multiplier (or whatever it's equivalently called in iracing) he's running with relative you what you use. It doesn't tell you anything about the motor performance or whether one motor clips more than the other because any clipping effect that shows up in the iracing clipping meter is purely the clipping that is caused by the sim from using too high a car-specific ffb multiplier for that specific car+track combo. So an ffb multiplier for a specific car that causes ffb clipping in-game will cause the exact same clipping on your ffb wheel be it a MOMO, CSW, T500, AF Pro, bodnar, osw, etc. The clipping in the clip meter is independent of your wheel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The psu he's chosen is the issue. It's limited to 12.5A peak-of-sine (=8.8A rms) which will only give a peak torque for the small mige of 19.5Nm.

+1

Is there a (non-iracing) forum thread i can read about Ollie's kit, etc?

6. mark7

mark7 Registered

Hi all, after a few weeks of waiting for the new version of the Simsteering system to be available I finally drove up to Silverstone to visit Leo Bodnars premises to try it out.
    On arrival I was met by John Beeson Leo's business partner who explained all the changes to the new Simsteering 2 system, there was a lot to take in and what I remember is listed below.

Increased resolution from a new version of the Kollmorgan motor.
    New control board giving extra functions to the UI including Inertia and Friction sliders and upgraded screening for EMF with further features to come including a safety function to cut feedback in the event of unrealistic information to the wheel and external button control ingame to adjust the FFB settings/profiles.
    Also the motors are now swapable allowing you to change from the 52 to 53 or 54. These are all available from Leo and they will offer a "buy back" scheme to allow you to upgrade.
    We chatted about a lot of other stuff and I spent a couple of hours on their rig before leaving with some heavy boxes and a far lighter wallet.
    Spent Sunday setting up and had a slight issue which John was more than happy to help me out on a Sunday and sending out revised firmware to cure the problem.
    Only had a few hours to try so far but i'm really impressed with the whole system, out of the box RF2 feels great but i'm relly suprised how good AC feels!
    Enough typing for now will be back with more setup questions no doubt.

Mark.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes I'm pretty sure, correct no soldering, it's just like building a PC, but it looks simpler to me,
    even building from scratch though it's not hard, soldering a few sockets connectors to wires etc anyone should be able to do ...soldering irons are very cheap

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

re. this fanatic f1 wheel that's shown up, the shifter paddles actually seem pretty good, uses standard micro switches,
    metal adjustable mech very solid

the funny thing is there's a lot of people paying about £150 for a decent set of paddle mechs,
    be cheaper ordering one of these wheels just for the paddles ( approx £90 delivered for the whole thing ) as the paddles look just as good or better to me

should have it in bits later or tomorrow night, going to saw a chunk out of the circuit to make some needed room inside

[​IMG]

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Adrian, the paddle shifters you are referring to are of MUCH better, automotive, quality (if I'm correct that they do as what I think they do) than these toy shifters on the csw wheel. The latter
    lack in preload, proper pressure, and definitive click, misses out on all accounts imo.. it works, but that is just about it..

10. mlaw

mlaw Registered

@mark7

What motor did you choose? And what was your reason for choosing it over the other options?

Thanks

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I've been using frex ones, work fine but feel not so good as what's on this
    ( both are metal though )
    good strong spring, adjustable travel + nice click from the micro switch
    ( sure that's what the other ones use? ) either way great for the cost

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I mean something like this :)
    [​IMG]

edit:
    it almost sounds like you received a wheel with completely different shifters than I have here.. strange, or I am just hating on them too hard..

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes they are very very nice, they've changed a bit since launch

these ones are nice -tad pricey though IMO :
    ( $275 USA )

[​IMG]

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

fantastic !!

enjoy your new powerhouse system Mark, you'll love it

15. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Does anyone here know what kind of operation updating argon's firmware is? There seem to be new simwheel firmware version. Granity's firmware updating guide says basicly that just set argon to firmware update mode and load the new firmware file in. Is it really that simple in OSW's case too?

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

you need to flash the argon unit with the new firmware ( have you not done this before ? )

17. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya korva7 I'd maybe wait, Bernhard ( the chap that does this stuff apparently ) is making more changes & updates for the argon/OSW, I'll try & get you his email address or something then I'm sure he'll can give you a run down on what's coming + concise instructions for the Argon

in the meantime maybe stay on your current firmware I get the impression there's a much bigger update coming

open source projects are just fantastic imo

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok now I'm confused again. So this SIM-ple add-on thingy is going to allow you to use the Big MiGe (which takes more power to run than the Small MiGe @ equal torque) @ 30 Nm? If that's the case then wouldn't that make the Small MiGe irrelevant other than "a few" dollars saved buying the Small MiGe over the Big?

EDIT: I just sent an email to Ollie asking about power setups (PSU, IONI-Pro, SIM-ple), powering the different wheels, etc. I'll let you guys know what he tells me. Getting quite frustrating, it's like the info changes every few days. Now I'm reading that the "weak link in the chain" is the PSU...Why would such an under-powered (relatively speaking compared to what the SIM-ple and IONI-Pro can handle) PSU get supplied in these kits?

Exactly. If the IONI-Pro + SIM-ple combo can handle driving the Big/Small MiGe @ much more than 14/19.5 Nm then why would a PSU be introduced which severely limits all of that? Why would such a "weak link in the chain" be supplied with the kit? Is a more capable PSU really that much more expensive?

Hopefully Ollie clears all this up in his response to my email.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I read on virtualracing.org about the new firmware: http://forum.virtualracing.org/show...ervo-Lenkrad?p=2056024&viewfull=1#post2056024 in short: take care, new firmware could serious hurt...