Silverstone v1.01 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Would a low speed FFB boost help I wonder? I noticed the other night while driving, the FFB in anything under a medium speed corner might as well not existed. To fix that though, would require bumping the FFB strength up to the point you clip in high speed corners all the dang time.

FFB clipping is the devil. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013
  2. pleclair

pleclair Registered

decreases engine braking to 8, with your higher downforce, you will be able to lift the throttle in most high speed corner, with little braking...

from default of 16 I believe? Try it out, let us know... made a world of difference for me

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I play with car-set ffb to 1.4, and my force is set to 100% in the cpanel. It made a huge difference handling the open wheeler in low speed corners.

Increase down force can make a good difference in tight tracks

EDIT: I play all cars with FFB 1.4, it's a bit harder on the hands, but it makes a good difference on the feeling

EDIT 2: Most specially if you are using a g25/g27 with a little dead center in the ffb, or other similar wheels...

4. Thor

Thor Registered

that's no excuse. I paid the same for the game. I want the game well optimized ati too. I paid $ 100 for a game that is optimized for nvidia? seriously? this is absurd. I am disappointed with the ISI. Before the ISI place to sell its product. She had a warning. Optimized only for Nvidia cards. this nonsense. Absurd. google translato.

5. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yes, i think you are right here, this is how i feel with the F1. This is what i mean in that slow section, it's not a throttle response issue for me, i lose feel completely as to what the car is doing, so low speed FFB increase i think could be the thing that needs looking at. Corvette i used to get the same feeling but now corvette feels really nice in the slow stuff and can feel what it is doing. They are so close to getting this thing completely nailed. I slated this car in the grip thread and said the GSC version was my favourite F1 car, but now the Formula master in the fast and mid corner stuff for me is unmatched, really is. It's the low speed stuff.

I don't drive the F3.5 tbh so can't comment mate, i will go and have a look now and see if any of this helps. But yes as with Empty box i think you are right and it's something that can be fixed in the FFB.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Already did, check the previous page :)

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have massive issues with this track... I have 3GB VRAM and rF2 use 2,4GB when driving this track with no AI, and I have massive lag. It simply feels like 10 fps or lower, with short pauses (stuttering) every 3rd second. At Malaysia I have NO lag and it uses 2,2 GB. What is wrong? Why can't my computer run THIS track but all other tracks? I'm getting really frustrated :( I've tried everything... Reducing track details to medium and turning environment reflections OFF doesn't help.

My CPU only uses 2 cores while playing rF2 and their usage is like 60-80% (i5 2500k).
    2 Radeon 7970 crossfire, 90-98% usage and 2,4GB vram usage, in 5976x1080 resolution (lower resolution won't help)

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Disabled crossfire and all stuttering is gone. But fps is much lower... Too low to be playable: 15-40. It doesn't look smooth, but much better than with crossfire enabled.

This track is crossfire-hostile, while all other tracks are not? What is happening?
    I need crossfire when running triple monitors otherwise fps is too low, but when I enable it I get increased fps that feels like 10 fps. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING AT SILVERSTONE ONLY? I just want to know WHY

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

http://youtu.be/QH8KzB4ZfcA?t=2m51s

;)

I have GTX580 which has "only" 1,5GB VRAM and have no problems with smoothnes... maybe that's more like Ati cards related issue?

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I made good progress on my quest of running Silverstone as good looking as possible, while still allowing me to race as many AI as possible.

With my previous settings, I could afford about 7-8 AIs with very little difference in framerate compared to 1 AI only. My bottleneck is ram and cpu big time, but I got a pretty good card to back it up (gtx 580, but only 1.5gb vram, my specs in my profile, its a now humble gaming computer, was top notch a few years ago :)

When I added 1 more AI, I would run out of vram, and framerate would drop to 5 or so. I wanted a bit more without having Silverstone looking like crap.

So here are my current settings:

Display Settings
    View attachment 8461

Video Settings
    View attachment 8462

Nvidia Control Panel

Part 1
    View attachment 8463

Part 2
    View attachment 8464

With this alone, I could load 8-10 AI cars with framerates in the 40s in the pit area, with high 50s, capped 60s for most part of the tracks. With barely a little hiccups to let you know framerate has dropped, you need to look at fraps.

But I remembered a particular settings in the player.plr file, the Transparency AA="1" // Soften edges around alpha test objects on...

EDIT: To disable, set it to 0 :) By default it's enabled, and set at 1.

made a huge difference for me, enabling me to race with a whopping 18 AIs, so that's 19 cars with me.

Adding one more cars at that point resulted in a crash.

Starting the race at the back of the pack, seeing all cars ahead of me, I was in the mid 20s fps at starting line, as soon as we got out first corner I was in the 30s, so fully playable, smooth, no hiccups... this was when I was close to pack, as I took screenshots while driving, the pack lost me a bit, and framerate was back to 60...

So all in all it's looking pretty good, with as little jaggies as my setup can afford...

If you have something similar than I, or have a rig that can run Silverstone with 4-5 AIs at nearly max details, try my settings you will be amazed.

The low detail on ai cars make very little difference (visually) from full... this alone helps get quite a few more AIs...

Here are a few screenshots:

With 12 AIs, a few seconds after starting the race, 38fps

[​IMG]

With 16 AIs, right a start, before moving, 27fps

[​IMG]

The bridge, standing alone, 60fps

[​IMG]

So I'm pretty happy about this, I hardly ever race 16 AIs, but it's when you are prevented from doing something that you want to do it! Now I can! Usually run with 8 AIs or so in practice...

Hope it helped someone achieve better performance with this new amazing track! Good luck!

EDIT: Running 32 bits win 7, with lots of services disabled, as per the black viper service guide, halfway between tweaked and bare bones, closer to bare bones...

So it might help me load a few more AIs with the spare ram I get there... I dunno, it was already done, so if you have similar specs but can't load as much AIs, look into disabling startups and services!

11. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Because the game is changing and wants all graphics :),
    PCs are put to the test now.

Then cut a notch and remove reflections and is very fluid.
    W7 64bits
    Memory 8Go
    Phenom II X 4 955 BE 3.2Ghz (Overclok. 3.6Ghz)
    Me 5392x1050 - 1 Sapphire HD7950 Vapor X 3 Go
    55FPS Silverstone

View attachment 8466

View attachment 8467

12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Oh my... disabled and disconnected triple screen and running single monitor at 1920x1080 resolution, I increased some graphic to high/max and track detail to high. Anti-aliasing set to level 5.

I now have a vram usage of 2742MB (!!!) :confused:
    So single screen and high settings will use much more VRAM than triple screen and medium settings? Really strange.

However, Malayasia STILL runs smooth (oh yeah, smoother than with one screen because screen tearing is not noticable at all). Silverstone: still stutter all the time, gpu talking short pauses and screen lag... even with 60fps.

I've tried VSYNC on (video, gpu and software), VSYNC off, VSYNC ALWAYS ON from Catalyst or RadeonPro software. I'll soon give up, it must be this track... driving me crazy. So frustrating.

I have still not tried Silverstone single screen and single gpu... in tripe monitor setup Silverstone runs better with only single gpu. But still Malaysia runs great in both configurations.

And why so extremely high VRAM usage?

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Easy, they increase the texture size and quality one notch... I could previously run all tracks all full, max, quality, with 2x aa, hdr, fxaa, etc... but now have to set a few things down, my 1.5gb vram card won't even load the full detail texture, have to settle for high...

Texture size increase exponentially at high resolutions...

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Well okay maybe you're right about that but it doesn't explain my bad Silverstone performance and lag/stuttering. I'm not running out of vram even with 2,7GB usage. It's something else and I think it's crossfire, but only for this track. I just want to get it confirmed somehow. Now I'm not expectiong you to know that, I'm asking anyone here:

Technically, what is happening when Silverstone gets massiva stuttering when running 2 GPU's, while Malaysia and other ISI tracks runs fine? Is it something that has to be optimized specially for crossfire/sli at each track? Is there any explanation?

15. C3PO

C3PO Registered

It's VRAM and bus speed too...not absolute quantity but quality.

16. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Finally some success, I've reduced the stuttering BIG TIME, but it's still very noticable.
    I simply made my own rfactor2 application profile in Catalyst control center. First it made no difference when I was using CrossfireX-mode at "standard", but when I changed it to "Use AMD predefined profile" it now works much better :D Fps is still terrible in some areas of the track, and I'm even driving around alone... I don't dare adding AI's to this now.

But however, finally it's drivable (at least for me). Strange that it worked good with other tracks but not Silverstone before?

Adding AI's or human players in online session will increase vram usage and I'll probably run out of vram. That's crazy. Isn't a 7970 enough to run rf2 with single screen and not even maxxed out settings? :p crazy.

17. Muxi-Mux

Muxi-Mux Registered

Big kudos to the track builder/developer. Really stunning, best work i've ever seen from ISI!

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, it's a known fact, that for now, ATI cards are performing badly compared to nvidia... and then, some people are saying that sli doesn't always help for rFactor 2...

The reality is, there is so many different hardware, and possibilities, that it's endless... but ATI cards have always been known to be a bit under Nvidia, by different margins... there were times where their cards had a small edge in some areas, but overall, from my experiences, nvidia is really trouble free... driver updates are pouring...

So I wouldn't worry if I were you, in due time, rFactor should improve by a good margin for you. Maybe it's only a matter of finding that one settings that throw everything off balance.

EDIT: Give a try to the settings I posted a bit earlier, you might be surprised... you should really make sure the player.plr transparency thingy is set to 0, if you haven't done so already. Might help big time!

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yes, I've been trying to get crossfire to work properly for weeks now, updating bios, drivers, reinstalling windows etc etc. Then one suddenly find a small setting that makes it much better, I've seen it before!

I already have it set to 0, because I prefer non-transparent trees with feels3 tracks ;) But thanks anyway.
    The absolutely biggest performance boost is to disable environment reflections at Silverstone, but it looks very boring without it, so I keep it at low right now.

20. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Just made a very quick comparison between Malaysia and Silverstone. GPU usage and VRAM usage.
    Silverstone in RED, and Malaysia in BLUE.

I know, Silverstone is heavier with better textures, so I should have dropped track details (and texture quality?) one level to get a fair comparison, but anyway, this is the results in race with only 10 AI's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Malaysia use 1,8GB VRAM, while Silverstone USE almost all my VRAM, 2,8GB! Scary :eek:
    Framerate at Malaysia is very good, barely moving from 60. Drops to 55 in the start, with mirrors enabled.
    At Silverstone it's ~40 in the start and it varies between 35-55 most time. However, I'm still getting consistent small stutters.

This is when using almost full settings, at 1920x1080 resolution.
    Only stuff that's not set to max is track details=high, shadows=high, shadow blur=optimal, road and env.reflections=low, anti-aliasing=5 and FXAA=off.

Conclusion is that difference between medium-high-full textures and track details is absolutely enormous.
    Anyone else thinks that this is too high vram usage even for the best quality textures? :p