Silverstone v1.01 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 28, 2013.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Just loaded up 20 GT-Rs at Silverstone at 0600 and it is probably the best visual race sim experience I've ever seen. Lighting is beautiful and the track fantastic - pin sharp and looking gorgeous. I'm quite shocked.

2. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

View attachment 8439

1800hrs is pretty too...

3. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Malaysia vs Silverstone

Malaysia vs Silverstone
    This is not to compare fps for each track but I'm getting massive stuttering at Silverstone that I don't have at all when driving around Malaysia. I wonder: why?

I finally got CrossfireX to work properly, so from now on I'm playing with triple monitors (5976x1080 with bezel compensation), and these are my settings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You see my system spec in the pic but it doesn't say I'm using 2 GPU's. It also says my GPU memory is 1598 MB, why? My 7970 have 3GB memory and rF2 use ~2,2 GB when running triple monitors. I watched it with msi afterburner.

However, Silverstone is not drivable at all. These are the results I'm getting for each track:

MALAYSIA
    Alone on track: 60 fps stable, never drops. Overall feeling is smooth enough.
    Race with 10 AI: 35 fps in the start, but it still feels very smooth and very much playable. 50-60 fps after some corners.

SILVERSTONE
    Alone on track: 30-60 fps. Very unstable and massive stuttering going on every 3rd second. Not only when the fps is very low, but all the time. Screen tearing is also more noticable here.
    Race with 10 AI: Haven't even tried it with triple monitors yet... I tried it online but had to leave after a few minutes, it was not playable.

Strange thing is that Silverstone worked quite well with one gpu, one screen. Low fps, but still smooth enough. With crossifre and triple screens it doesn't work at all. But Malaysia works well with both configurations. Why? :( It must be something strange going on with this track.

4. Zenon

Zenon Registered

I would wholeheartedly agree with you, if there weren't TONS of other videogames that run absolutely flawlessly on my PC (which is even lower spec than yours, i3, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 7770), I am talking about the most recent games, like Metro 2033, The Witcher 2, Bioshock Infinite and others, damn, even Grid 2, they have absolutely no problems with being totally fluent at the very high/max video settings (I usually only keep the AA low, it don;t like it for some reason) - if it weren't for those, then I'd believe I need an upgrade.

But I have something that looks barely a tad better than in rFactor 1 and I get 20 fps being the only car on the track. I should get around 100 at least. Yeah, I know rF2 is based on an ancient engine, but so is, for example, iRacing and not only does Silverstone look much better there (texture-and colour-wise) it also yields more than 170 fps on average. I am sorry, but to me, the ISI's incarnation of Silverstone is mediocre at best. And it is possible to have great-looking and performance-friendly tracks in rF2, look at feels3.

5. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have one GPU with loud coilwhine, so I actually hear it take a short paus every 3rd second at Silverstone. That's when the stuttering happens.

6. bwana

bwana Registered

Totaly agree, never been a fan of the track anyway but its performance and look just isnt "special' ISI employ Feels3 now

7. sg333

sg333 Registered

I was looking at virtualr.net and see the Assetto Corsa guys have released previews of their own Silverstone version. Heck of a time co-incidence.

It doesnt look up to RF2/ISI standard either ;)

8. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Turns out it was the Road Reflection setting for me. If I reduce this to OFF I get a massive increase in framerates - it goes from 60 to 120fps. It seems more important for framerates than Environment Reflections, although turning them both off gives a massive boost, but obviously without the car reflections it doesn't look as good.

I get the impression the Road Reflections (which I assume are mainly for wet weather although I was testing in the dry?) have something wrong with them on this track. I don't think they should crush framerates this much when using a GTX690.

9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Both Croft and Poznan are pretty spartan in terms of trackside objects. No large grandstands to render.

I don't disagree with your point that performance at Silverstone doesn't correlate to what we see on screen, but until we see an equivalent type of circuit from feels3 (such as his Interlagos project), it's difficult to say that his work is optimised any better.

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Fantastic and immersive track, Tosches HDR profile should be tried here.

11. Zenon

Zenon Registered

These screenshots have not been taken by me, but I hope the author won't mind. Poznan and Silverstone:
    View attachment 8445
    View attachment 8446

12. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Ok, if you want to be obtuse about it, Silverstone has two pit complexes and has grandstands lining most of it's length.

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Here is the cockpit version of my lap of 1:46 with the Formula 2. Pretty much smooth all the time.

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

LOL, wtf? ;)
    Are you trying to compare the two tracks with Silverstone's graphic settings set to lowest?
    If that is Poznan's lowest settings, then that's because feels3 made the lowest available settings quite detailed. And it's probably working because the track is very short and don't have much objects. I guess ISI want to make the lowest available settings very low detailed otherwise people with low-end computers won't be able to drive it even if they are alone on track, lol.

But I think Silverstone is way to heavy to run. In my case it's impossible because I'm getting massive stuttering that I don't see in any other ISI track.

15. rockbass

rockbass Registered

I did find turning the Road and Environment Reflections OFF did get me to near 60 fps with V Sync but still dropped to 44 fps on the front stretch. I turned Road and Environment Reflections back to HIGH and ran Malaysia and it was 61 fps all the way around with a 20 car field. So something at this track needs to change if the other tracks work fine. I don't know how people can blame the computer or graphics card when it's just this track though I have gotten lags at Lime Rock a few times but I restarted Rfactor 2 and all was fine. Malaysia to me look as detailed than Silverstone (and better) so I would thinks its a good comparison. So I'm sure ISI will do something because turning everything off to run Silverstone is silly when all the other tracks work fine.

16. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Accurate? Sorry I was thinking the exact opposite.
    I haven't been to, or really seen the real track but going on the two different versions in rF1 this one is flat and quite boring. There's no life in this version with not rise and full in any of the places the other versions have and even the layout is off in comparison. If this is accurate I can't see what the excitement over this track is all about. It's a track on a table top!

I hope Lime Rock isn't like this. That track isn't a table top track either.

17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

This isn't my vid. This is ADRIANF1esp from another forum and I hope he doesn't mind me posting it but it seems rather apt

18. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Well, sorry, It is accurate. Just watched a youtube clip of it. So not sure were the rF1 versions came from but that's life. Not a fan of table top flat tracks so I prefer the inaccurate rF1 versions my self.

19. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Cheers Bazza. Very cool vid. I wouldn't think the guy would mind at all.

Is wasn't what I watched first and dose a very good job of showing the tracks comparisons.

20. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Apologies if I missed it, but this is Silverstone v1.01 - does that mean it's not up to the same 1.4x specs as everything else that has been upgraded to 1.4x?