Silverstone v1.01 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 28, 2013.

1. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I have to say that despite the anti-aliasing still being very poor with this new build Silverstone is awesome! One thing that really blew me away was how I could feel force feedback effects as I drove over each and every painted grid marker on the track. This is the first game where I could feel painted lines as FFB. Absolutely amazing work. Rfactor2 has its issues but it really shines in certain aspects. I get 60 fps with hdr off and all others set to high.

2. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Ah -- I'm running at three times the resolution.

3. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

1920x1200 32 bit, antialiasing 4, hdr on and fxaa off

In game all high . except:
    shadow: medium
    shadow blur: optimal

In the photos the mirrors are off but if I lose many fps iff I turn on this track

4. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

What a track. I love it! Thnx ISI!!!

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Did some more testing... the goal is to keep all settings close to max quality as possible, while still be in the 50s-60 fps, and race as many AIs as possible.

After seeing someone suggest to turn down AI car detail, I did lower it from full to medium, and I can now race with 10 cars (haven't tried more atm, just finished some 20-30 laps in the formula isi 2012), and frame rate are capped at 60 for the most part, with the lower in the 40s, but that doesn't happen much. So I'm happy with this.

One thing I noticed tho, I used the same setup I was using at mills/lime rock park, but obviously with more top speed, and a bit less downforce, but was running on soft tires basically.

I'm not too knowledgeable about f1 cars, their tires etc, but on my first lap, after like 4 bends, I already had a yellow tire. After I pitted when the set was cooked, I got out the pit, and locked the wheel a bit longer than I usually let it happens, and the tire almost lost a full dot instantly.

Is the asphalt some sort of cheese grater or something? Cause I used that setup to run lime rock, and even tho it wasn't built to last, was more to set good lap times, I would expect to run more than 1-2 laps at near the edge driving...

They really seems to degrade faster than on other tracks..

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh and on a side note, I also love the track, a lot! At first, I thought, bleh, another boring grand prix track... cause I happen to find most grand prix track pretty boring... enjoying more the track surroundings and atmosphere, flow, of lime rock, mills, croft, putnam, poznan and the like...

But this one is pretty challenging, loving it!

The formula 2 is built to run this track, I've had the most fun with that car so far, a real blast to drive there!

The only thing that would make this track better is more elevation variation, I dont like flat tracks much... but the bends are nicely done and the flow is pretty good.

Heck, even the clio is a blast to drive, with plenty of loose tail action!

OT: One track I really like is Laguna Seca... if ISI ever license that one, I'll be in heaven! I love the S turn going downhill!

7. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

Thanks for the track! Even though the performance is the worst of all ISI tracks by a mile .-(

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Here is the video of my best lap using a Formula 2 car, tv camera. I'm uploading the cockpit version as I speak.

There are some hiccups a little, but surprisingly pretty good considering my aging computer!

That was recorded with the AI car detail to full, so at medium, it would probably have been even better.

9. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Thanks for replying.

I tried dropping the shadows to medium and it gained me about 10fps, but I still can't get a decent boost. I have 120hz monitor so I try to have over 100fps but it's looking unlikely for Silverstone.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I know alot of people like AI's

I personally can't stand em thus I practice a track solo ( ok ok maybe one AI just for eye candy )

Wish we had a bit more of an online structure, hopefully alot of choice will appear when leagues become more popular

No AI's eating up pc resource then

11. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

A few months ago an ISI staff member mentioned that he was working on bringing the Nurburgring GP up to rFactor 2 standards. Can't remember who it was and I've not seen anything posted regarding its progress since.

12. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

what settings do you have on shadows? i notice the draw distance for car shadows is much better on this video than i can achieve

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Same here, I think I tried all shadow settings, is it something in the .ini ???

15. jdyson

jdyson Registered

Really enjoying this. Thanks ISI! Was just down at Silverstone today for practice and heading back up there tomorrow for qualifying. What a great way to spend the time in between!

16. Zenon

Zenon Registered

Oh, rly? Please be so kind as to look at the FPS counter in the upper-right hand corner of the pics: all taken at 1980X1020, 29 AI drivers, myself in the 17 th place at the start (except for the last one, where there is no AI whatsoever):

Opponents' cars set to Full:
    [​IMG]

to High:
    [​IMG]

to Medium:
    [​IMG]

No AI cars:
    [​IMG]

In case you don't feel like looking at them, here are the FPS values I get respectively: 14, 14, 16, 20.
    Oh yeah, that's an improvement, isn't it? :)

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Here are my settings:

View attachment 8431
    View attachment 8432

18. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

42%... With my average graphic card (GTX650), average i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, all maxed and 1920x1080 I have ~30fps with no AIs, I think is not bad with my 125€ graphic card bought in September 2012... my PC is not High spec and I can run with no problems with more than 60fps lowering a little some options and "playing" with killer reflections. Maybe can be better optimized, I don't know, but in my case is more than enough with the money I spent and hardware I have, something expected.

If I want to play MAX and more than 60fps I should think in buying a better graphic card, and not talking about bad optimization.

PS: lowering some options can destroy replays, but not driving from cockpit in race :D

19. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I would love to know the answer to this as well. LOD poping in is extremely close and I would like to change it so that a lot of LODs pop in a much greater distance from the camera. If anyone knows if there is an ini setting for LOD's please let us know :)

20. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

i was running on high shadows, so put to max and its a huge difference, really noticeable change for not a lot of FPS hit.

i have been playing with the settings more and actually the reflections are having an impact, i switched off road reflections and with 13 AI, max shadows and textures, high AI car, Quality shadow blur, max sfx and low env refl i can get 50-60 steady. it looks great too.

i have to have mirrors off though but thats not Silverstone thats a general FPS hit across the whole sim

View attachment 8433 View attachment 8434