Several cars steering force very dynamic

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Iketani, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Iketani

Iketani Registered

I could search more redapg but yeah, it doesn't lead to nothing jeje. Cool info from Mordorsport Max. I will test the settings that all of you have posted in this thread and I will comment my opinion. Thanks to all.

2. Iketani

Iketani Registered

What means or what are the differences between the different EQ? Or where do you adjust that? Is it the torque bandwitch?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  3. Mordorsport Max

Mordorsport Max Registered

It is a tool to tune the sound of your Room(Home-Studio/ Home-Cinema or Bands). I use it for Sim Racing too! =D
    It is just to visulize what i am doing in the true drive software, but it works pretty fine. Doning it for a long time.

https://www.audionet.de/apps/carma/
    or
    https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Each of the EQ's got a different impact on your signal. The 220Hz got a slght impact. If you go deeper 150Hz or 100Hz, your signal will be more and more getting soft.

Hope i could help!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    Corti and Iketani like this.
  4. Iketani

Iketani Registered

I have been trying all the settings posted here and no one convinced me. In fact, worse feelings. As I said, friction, damping and inertia only are useful to add unnatural, lazy, robotic, artifitial effects, so I turned back again these parameters to off. Now, I'm checking the steering rack Nm in Motec with Indycar and I see that reaches 44 Nm at turn one of Brands Hatch for example, I suppose that just when the car is on the change of downhill to uphill. The SC2 Pro has 25 Nm so we only can decrease the force until the force peak will be proportional to 25 Nm in the same place of the track. I'm going to adjust it and I will comment my opinion.

Using the rule of three, it is 56 % of our TD. I'm going to test it.

In the new laps the Motec reaches 49,39 Nm so we have to decrease to 51 %. 50 % to a rounded value :D Now I feel it better, but I'm still feeling a little of excessive effects from softer to heavier forces.

Now, with the Audi GT3. It reaches 41 Nm approximately, so if real GT3 drivers say that in the hands with those power steerings receive about 12 Nm of force peaks, we are talking about that we have to put the specific per car multi at 30 % more or less. In GT3 I don't feel as dynamic effects as Indycar, so in this case I feel better. I don't know if power-assisted steerings in rFactor 2 are transmitted in game based on steering rack or on real power assisted steering forces.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

When it "reaches" 45-50 Nm, is that a sustained force or a spike? There's no point having huge spikes in FFB. You can't just aim for zero clipping. rF2 vehicle components have no compliance, so very large forces are sometimes calculated that you wouldn't have in a real car (or are so momentary as to be not worthwhile considering).

rF2 can do very basic power steering, a simple scaling of the forces in the car.

If you want to aim for realistic cornering forces like 5-10 Nm in modern power-steered cars or 16-25 in the Indycars, you need to look at sustained forces.

Mordorsport Max likes this.
  6. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Yes, sustained forces I think.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Show the graph?

Iketani likes this.
  8. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Yes, sure. Tomorrow I will try to show it.

9. Mordorsport Max

Exactly! That's the way I also do it.

@Iketani
    Wait a sec!:cool:
    Could it be that you look at the channel 'Steering Shaft Torque'[N/m]? I think that because without any further calculations you do not get a Torque[N/m] signal out of your FFB-signal. The value of your FFB signal is measured in percentage. By the way you can't get any clipping Information out of the 'Steering Shaft Torque'-channel! If this is the case, do this.

Create a new math Channel in Motec I2 Pro with the channel 'FFB Output'. Call this math Channel for example 'Smooth FFB'. In this math channel you calculate this:

smooth('FFB Output'[%],99)

I give this 'Smooth FFB' everytime some Headroom 10%-20%. Let's take 20% for example, in this case your signal should never go over 80% or -80%.

After this, you get a better view on sustained Torque and finally clipping signals. A clipping signal gives a 100% output for some time.
    It should look like this. Some clipping points are also in this picture.
    upload_2023-6-30_1-35-19.png
    If you need any help, just give me sign.

Attached Files:

Iketani likes this.
  10. Iketani

Iketani Registered

How did you get the Smooth FFB curve? Sorry, I didn't understand at all. :/

11. Mordorsport Max

Give me a some time. You will got it until 9.00 europe. I work currently at very harsh Motec tool.....

Iketani likes this.
  12. Mordorsport Max

It will take a bit more time,! I think 9.30!

Iketani likes this.
  13. Mordorsport Max

So it took less time. Sorry for the sound....it was a quick and dirty setup. The Mic-Stand was my Joystick. =D

Adolfo Bisi and redapg like this.