Several cars steering force very dynamic

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Iketani, Jun 5, 2023.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

@Iketani When you compare a Caster Setting of 10 with a Setting of 17.5 (lowest and highest currently possible Setting), what feels better for you?

Iketani likes this.
  2. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Yes, very active and very dynamic forces (from softer peak to heavier peak force) in a lap.

3. Iketani

Iketani Registered

I will try this afternoon and I will comment jeje

4. Iketani

Iketani Registered

It let me put from 4 to 9.9. I prefer at 9.9 but it does not fix the extremely dynamic of forces (as per your opinions, I suppose that due the FFB is based on suspension).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  5. redapg

redapg Registered

The different Range is caused by the Units Setting metrical/imperial.
    Yes, you suppose right, the Suspension Geometry has an Influence on the Steering FFB and Feeling.
    Unfortunately we can not check it for DLC Cars.

From your Sentence "Yes, very active and very dynamic forces (from softer peak to heavier peak force) in a lap.", i understand that you have the Feeling that the FFB changes, right?
    That normally can not happen.
    But as @Lazza has said already, how you feel the FFB, especially from Front Drive Cars, also depends on the Underground, the "driving Situation" ....
    It can feel totally different, when you, for Example, drive over a Curb in a Curve, one Time with full Throttle and one Time with just letting the Car roll over it.
    It also depends on the used Hardware.
    I bet, there are other People, that have the exact contrary Feeling with the Cupra.

6. Iketani

Iketani Registered

I don't know... I think that it is not difficult to understand... The effects are very exagerated, very dynamics. Compare to the FFB of other sim, AMS2 or AC1 with non power assisted cars and see what I mean. But I think that it is very easy to understand the problem. Is there any json file with a FFB set with less suspension feedback effects?

7. redapg

redapg Registered

To compare with other Sims makes no Sense at all and if i understood your opening Post right, you have that Problem with the Cupra only.
    Normally the FFB related Settings in the Menu should be enough, to set it up in an acceptable Way.
    But you can not set it up for specific "Parts".
    As said, it could also be, that the Suspension Geometry is the Culprit, but, as said too already, we can not check that, when it's a DLC Car.

8. Iketani

Iketani Registered

The title was for Cupra at the first time but after trying other cars I feel the same. In general, I feel it in all the cars, in GT3 or GTE in less level. In discord Devin recommended me to set 80 % in overall in game strength and I also want to check the forces in Nm with DAMPlugin tomorrow. But I think that the problem will still there. We will see.

9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

So you think AMS2 and AC have better FFB. That's a perfectly valid opinion and everyone has one.

Iketani likes this.
  10. Iketani

Iketani Registered

rFactor 2 transmits a lot of details, I don't know if more or less than other sims, and I don't tell any bad thing about it. I'm only talking about the force strength of all these effects.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Iketani speaking of Devin, if he didn't already link you this is what he recommended some time back for the SC2, just in case you have something radically different (I don't know if varying peak forces is even possible to implement with the settings):

[​IMG]

In rF2 he has smoothing and minimum torque both on 0.

But yeah, I'd be interested to see if the telemetry shows what you're feeling, and what might be causing it.

12. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Sounds interesting the 1 % of friction (I am not joking because I read that since some version of SC driver 1 % of friction means like 10 % or something like this). I don't know what true is this but, anyway, I can try 1 % of one of those values, but I don't understand when people set those values to 2, 5, 10, 12, 20... :D Today I will be busy, but tomorrow or Thursday I hope I will test DAMPlugin and 1 % of friction. On the other hand, yesterday I just talked with Devin and told me about the 80 % in overall strength, but in game and not in SC driver, and yes, he also has cap 20.1 Nm because of safety reasons, but I told him that I prefer to maintain the whole forces and not to cap the peak of 25 Nm of SC2.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Probably best to search for it on discord, but he has the 1% friction just so the wheel doesn't have zero friction when it's not doing anything. It's not about feeling or anything.

14. Iketani

Iketani Registered

But maybe that zero friction when it's not doing anything is a big solution to the problem I'm referring to here... In fact, that zero friction is one of the problems that I feel when driving. I feel a very soft wheel when I don't do nothing and then paaaaaaa plenty of effects and 25 Nm of force. This, in a BTCC with power steering, can't be realistic... :D

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

1% friction is nearly nothing, it's literally 1%. It's not going to transform anything. There's a huge difference between sitting there at the monitor literally doing nothing, and hitting 10+Nm of force while driving.

If 25Nm (guessing, yes? Or checked telemetry already?) isn't a huge bump or kerb strike, something surely isn't right. I haven't checked that car specifically but the 'nominal max' torque will be well below that level, so cornering forces shouldn't get close to that even with the default 100% that tends to have some clipping with modern cars.

16. Iketani

Iketani Registered

Then why to put 1 %? I don't understand anything...
    And I don't know if 25, 20, 15 or 10 Nm, but much more force than a real BTCC car with power steering.

17. Bernat

Bernat Registered

When the cars is standing still, you should feel the friction of the wheels on the tarmac. That's not the same as the friction of the steering axle. I don't think this friction can be configured or disabled, it will depend on the grip.

When the car is driving straight you should feel the self-aligning torque unless you're using a negative caster. A negative caster would make self-aligning torque disappear.

Iketani likes this.
  18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

SC2 + rF2 works much better with some Friction & Damping (True Drive / Constant Force Filters). From my experience, I'd even say it's essential but no doubt, what constitutes "good ffb" is subjective. I understand some players like the FFB response to be as fast and loose as possible but, I think that's far from realistic and not necessarily beneficial to faster lap times. It may also be why some say rF2-FFB is overly active with surface details.

Note: I use a balanced approach for ffb strength. In other words, I reduce SC2 output to approximately 66% / rF2 FFB to 65%. I still reduce the per-car FFB somewhat to avoid signal-clipping but, this overall approach can provide some margin of safety as well.

Here's how I set those two constant-force filters in True Drive (SC2 Pro).
    • Friction: Increase to the point where there is zero free-play (In-game, driving straight). Increase further if you want to add some natural weightiness to the steering (Steering-rack / resistance). In my case, it will usually be 10-12%.
    • Damping: This setting is mostly about "Wheel Speed" but, it also can work in combination with Friction & Inertia so, it may vary depending on those settings and preference, of course. Wheel response speed (Rotational) is largely about finding a balance between the simulated car's S.A.T. characteristics and our personal response speed (or timing) to provide optimal control. If the car's steering feels like it's lagging behind or you need to assist too much with corrections, reduce damping. If it's overly active or oscillating, increase damping. My usual setting is between 12-15%.
    • Damping (FWD cars): Damping has a major impact in how FWD cars steer under acceleration / wheel-spin / front traction loss events. Finding the optimal level will provide smooth, controllable steering during accel / decel transitions + improved sense of front traction loss.
    Want more / less ffb details? Adjust the Force Reconstruction Filter. I find level 1 or 2 works for me but, I prefer some surface detail.

Inertia: can be used to boost some FFB effects but, will impact Damping.
    Slew-Rate: Useful to limit violent high-force effects, abrupt jolts, etc. Lower setting = lower force limit.

Iketani likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I pasted those settings as something to try and see if your issue persists. You are reading too much into 1 minor setting. It's literally to stop the wheel rotating if bumped while sitting in the UI. That's why I said "when doing nothing". It's nothing to do with driving.

Check telemetry to see what % FFB you're getting from the game, and share your SC2 and controller.json settings (file).

Iketani likes this.
  20. Iketani

Iketani Registered

If you cap SC2 to 66 % you won't never get a realistic force with non power assisted cars.