Roadmap/checklist for Gold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BanjoMaster, Jul 18, 2012.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yes, something like this, which would prove your thesis that our bug reports influence developing process.

Of course it is pure academic discussion because reports given by us are valuable for isi for sure. Question is how they work with those reports.

And yes, I prefer ticketing system. it would help avoiding reporting the same issue multiple times, while existing in multiple builds etc. For example if issue has been reported for build 85, and still exists in build 90, how can I be sure it is taken into account? Maybe it is skipped by mistake? Maybe not. Should I report it again and again? Or forget about this. etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Something like this? These are fix reports by ISI...:)

3. Tuttle

Some of those fix are exactly about some stuff I reported, and many other are the result of a ton of user feedbacks.

I've just reported a bug in the physic and I know they're working on it...so, as already said, they are working on EXTERNAL and INTERNAL feedbacks.

This is not my guess...these are facts. Sorry.

Did you have a idea about how difficult could be and how many resources a back office ticket/task system needs to work properly? I'm sure you know what we're talking about, as you're a dev.....:)

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

OK, you are lucky you know. Maybe you communicate with ISI behind forum.
    But most of people has no such feedback. They report same issues again and again without any response.

5. Tuttle

I think they reply when they have the time to reply...and I guess if they starts to reply to any bug report, post by post, user after user, they get stuck after some days...:)

This is pretty the same on SMS forums. Devs are not forced to reply at all and users knows that the bug section is monitored by devs every day, so really...i can't see the point.

6. coops

coops Banned

m8 get use to it ppl on here say they care and want to know whats going on load of fugging bull****. lets just see who we can payout on today is more like it.

ps: report my post will only prove im right

7. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

Well we were told at most 6 months and we have already paid for the game so I think Gjon can spend 5 minutes here giving us an update on where it is at?

8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Incredible. Never happened.

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I'm sorry Maxym, but you're out of line again...

Ok, first of all--it's not your job to care...it's ISI's. Second of all, duplicate bugs happen all the time in ANY software development that has more than 1 person working on it (and possibly even some single person projects, depending on their memory/organizational skills). Third, for poignancy, it's not your problem to deal with, so why do you care if there's duplicate bugs? Nobody's kicked out of the "beta" program or banned on the forums for posting duplicate bugs (unless you're being malicious about it and spamming them daily with bugs that both you and they know about). Fourth, if a bug has been reported for B85, and it still exists in B90, then by all means, add it to the Build 90 Bugs forum...it's a bug in Build 90, so it belongs. Since they decided to 'archive' the bugs per build number, then they've essentially "closed" all of those bugs; which makes any bugs you see in the current build bug forum perfectly valid.

See above re: reporting bugs repeatedly. Additionally, it's nobody's job, responsibility, or obligation, except the people that have that shiny yellow icon below their names that says ISI Staff or Official Beta Tester, to report bugs. If someone doesn't feel like reporting a bug that's been active since Build 45 each time the forum is reset, they don't have to. And it's not your job or responsibility to worry about it for them.

To OP and others that feel similarly: as Tim has said before, providing us information about the development status does not change a thing. What would you do differently with such information? Nothing. How many times have we seen people take "information provided by Tim/ISI" (read: they say they 'may' do something, or even statements more vague than that) and it's turned into gospel? i.e. saying that we'll get an extra 6 months plus 1 year from gold for matchmaker twisted into: "Beta period will be less than 6 months", or that they hope/expect to update about once a month twisted into: "We WILL be updating once every month." I honestly don't blame them for not providing a roadmap. People will certainly take that to mean that that's exactly what they're going to follow, and they will not be deviating from it one bit. We've also even already heard about how priorities change on the project, which would invalidate any roadmap, anyway. i.e. Saying that they got a new license, and that project moved to immediate priority.

Like I said before, I think it will be pretty clear when they're ready to go 'Gold'--you won't need a roadmap, or a list of features. It'll be like going to a friend's house that's having a party. You won't need the GPS to tell you when you've arrived, you'll be able to tell by all the cars out front (Brabhams and whatnot ;)). (In that metaphor, we're the passengers, not the driver)

1 person likes this.
  10. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Why the Rush..There is only 1 other Sim that dosent use the ISI Engine.. So I woudnt worry or get frusturated to much- ISI will release Updates and News as they see Fit- Besides there are Alot of sneaky people who want something other than to play the Sim!

11. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

Well when someone says something I take them at their word

I guess that used to be a good trait now it is considered something else less worthy it seems.

12. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Thats happen for sure. Some time tim weathley said to me that the most of techinical discussion doesn´t happen here. And is kind of obvious that Tutle is part of this "extra" forum because not make sense to me in a beta stage of a product, he just release his track (beatiuful job) when the software gets gold and not using this "community" to get feedback on his work. I can only imagine that ISI staff has acess to it in tarde for him have acess to dev team.
    This "community" thing is just for regular people think they are part of developement process. Only few things that happens here, i think, (most on bug reports) goes to the dev team and get discussed(among then and some few people who writes on this forum more often)
    Forum works like this:
    Build 90 Bug Reports / Problems
    Report problems with build 90 (current build) in here.

Some time they have a look and the answers is like: i see your post.

Modding Help
    How to create cars, tracks, plugins, and how to package them for others.

This part is for modders who not find the tutorials that ISI provides asking "where the ****ing links?"

Hosting servers
    Using the dedicated server executable.

Its a mystery to me. Some time a go there and see Linux written in a title thread and close the browser as fast as i can. Never go there anymore.

Wish Lists
    Things which aren't in the current build, that you'd like to see in the future one.

When ISI staff is tired they go there just for read and have good laughs at the posts. Is where they release the tension at the end of day laughing about crazy **** like this:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3146-Remove-rFmod-Petition?highlight=remove+rfmod+petition
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5872-Freedom-of-will
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/4911-Formula-1-Seasons-1968-1979
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3193-blakboks-Wish-List

Hardware
    Discuss upgrades, peripherals, etc. Not for software bug reports.

It´s gray. My father said to me once never click on gray things in the internet. It will lead me to no where.

Mod announcements/testing
    Where you can announce and test YOUR mods.

Here is the place where exist a sort of community where modders help others modders without the privilege to talk directly to ISI to develop something and a fight club for modders and pickpockets acusing each other for stole their work. Here lives the true spirit of rFactor wich i´m proud to participate, not developing anything just being grateful by the amazing things that some times modders do in their FREE time, just for hobby asking as payment just kind words about how good they are even his **** is stolen from someone else. People in here are freaking awesome.

13. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

Oh well, I think parts of this thread have probably proved quite conclusively to isi staff that they should steer miles clear of such discussions, as it doesn't look as if a balanced, honest conversation is possible on here with a vocal minority of the board's participants. It was probably quite naive to think out could, in hindsight...

Going to check out this ' ignore' function. Cheers guys.

14. Tuttle

You're making a bit of mess and disinfo.

I've zero privileges from the dev compartment. I've just open a thread, pushed hard for a reply (because I've to understand when and if some problems are a my fault or a bug) and after some time Micheal has replied:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/6290-Overwrite-instructions-in-special-parameters-question

About my track: I'll release after the Gold just because I've no rush and I want to put in the track every FULL feature of the game. I do not want waste my time re-working every new build on shaders, re-exports, re-optimizations, re-work on realroad, HDR, sky etc...

15. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Sorry to put your name in this but, as i said, i can only imagine since i did receive a warning message saying, among other things, that the most serious support doesn´t happen in the forum. So it must happen in some place with some people giving feedback maybe only the develop team.
    But it´s not my problem. I´m enjoing the actual stage of development of rfactor2. Little frustraded before about how long this beta phase is during but can´t do nothing to help (wish i could and have skills for that) and never wanted for a refund.
    About your track and your reasons... well, it´s your track. I´m just waiting for the opportunitty to drive and will not argue with your reasons. Just desagree but understand that this must not an easy job and not everybody has free time enough to spent when they have higher quality standards about theirs works even its just a hobby.
    The rest of the post i´m justing joking. My bad. Sorry.

1 person likes this.
  16. Tuttle

No problems at all. :)

17. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

In the group I race we still use rFactor 1 but I am kind of bored of it right now and I am not the only one.
    I am crossing my fingers to have an useable rFactor 2 for 2013.
    I think that it would make sense strategically to aim for a release at end of 2012 so many leagues can pick up rFactor 2 for 2013 (Formula Sim Racing just for example).

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Pick up for casual racing or fun races - yes. But there will be no enough content to use rF2 in real racing series leagues. For example we have F1, F3, GP2, GT, WTCC racing series. I'm sure there will be tracks missing as well as probably none of complete racing serie will be ready

19. osella

osella Registered

I think some mods and tracks will spawn real soon after release, and who says you need 15 quality tracks to run a series. Why not just have 4 and cycle through them more than once.
    Overall you're a bit pessimist guy MaXyM, I consider myself realist but you are pessimist :p

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I have said :)
    the are various leagues for sure. some of them are just about racing doesnt matter about track and cars, but other are trying more or less to recreate real racing series.
    often racing 2 or 3 tracks in the cycle is not what people wants. and at tye end quaility if content - i guess no one will drive stright conversion from older games which again limits ammount of content available in next 6 months.

of course there will be mini-leagues, fun races, tests.

I can say it based on my experience as admin and is likely valid for simracingpl. so its not about being pesimistic or not ;)