Roadmap/checklist for Gold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BanjoMaster, Jul 18, 2012.

1. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

Guys

Appreciate that you cannot give us a date when rf2 will go gold, but can you give us an indication of what conditions need to be satisfied and what features need to be 'finished' before you pull the trigger on the full retail version? Note that this is genuinely not an attempt to lead you into a cul-de-sac and trick you into letting something slip, just looking for a rough indication of where we are on the development curve.

I must confess that despite my best attempts at self control, it's easy to get a bit frustrated when nearly all mod groups are waiting for the gold release before really powering on with their mods!

Cheers

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I dont get at all frustrated cause good and excellent tracks keep coming, ISI content is beyond my expectations, for the rest...+1

3. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

I don't disagree, but personally the content I'm most looking forward to probably won't come from isi as officially licensed content, although I must confess I'm really, really looking forward to both the c6 gt2 and the lola t70 lookalikes. I'd love to see the mods that simulate full series, such as the WEC or Blancpain series, but that won't happen until the software has gone gold in all likelihood.

Not trying to start any sort of argument, just trying to have a grown up discussion about it. We're not gong to be provided with a date, probably because out doesn't exist yet, but it may help to keep the denizens of this board gaper and more manageable if we knew roughly what the route to the destination was. I use the technique on my kids all the time, makes life much easier :-D

Mods, if it looks like the thread is gong south, please lock and delete as appropriate.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I didnt argue, as a matter of fact Id really would like to know what are the things needed for Gold.

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

+1
    Unfortunately, I think we may only dream about it.

6. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

No mate, I didn't think you were, I was just trying to get my disclaimer in on the thread in case someone did want to try and pick a fight :-D

7. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

Well it does no harm to ask the question. If tim/scott/gjon etc. realise we're not all a baying mob, they might chose to join the discussion. If not, no harm, no foul :)

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Good luck getting any kind of written response, Tims stance seems to be firmly that the Devs cant write updates/blogs about the game so we dont ever get one. Well apart from Scott & Luc who have in the past kept us informed of tracks, personally I think its totally rubbish that a high up Dev or even Gjon himself cant spend 10-15minutes every few weeks keeping us upto date.....they must write e-mails so if they're capable of that they're capable of a quick update....no?.....no...thought not!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

You seem to feel that we (you) are owed these "updates" on the progress of the game.

How so?

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Where did I say they owe us anything? That's right I didn't!

I just find it incredible that we don't get an update every once in a while, it's one of those "it'd be nice" things. but as I said Tims stance in a previous thread was that they can't write updates for some reason...which I find pathetic, I mean if my godson aged 9 can write about his day at the zoo then.....catch my drift?

Aside from the game updates and random Dev postings things get awfully quiet around here, just think a quick update isn't too much too ask for.

11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

You implied it. The whole tone of your post implied it.

If that's how you feel, don't try to back track (like you are doing now). Be a man. Say it.

He never said they can't. He said they don't need to.

And using your 9yo godson as an example? No that's "pathetic" LOL

Is your grandson spending 10 hours or more a day coding? Does he have a wife and family?

A 9yo has about 18 hours a day free time! Please.

12. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Damnit.. 4 posts and the thread is going personal AGAIN

Take your attitude to PM's.. both of you.. sheeesh

13. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I'm pretty sure we'll know when we're close to 'Gold'. My guess is that at that leading up to that point the base "engine" will be pretty much feature-complete, and they'll have a short period of maybe a few weeks to a month of bug fixing. They'll possibly be reserving some content for 'Gold', though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'll agree to shut up now!

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Imho if they complete the tire section, some broken stuff into physics and the shader compartment they can go for a Gold "soon"...

Actually these are the 3 fields I feel more problematic during the mod developing (too many variables with errors and/or missing features).

BTW I guess at least other 6/8 months of beta stage...:)

16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

They really need to spend some effort on optimising FPS too once they have all this stuff complete. I'm hoping nvidia will quickly take another shot at improving SLI once it goes gold. (AMD too for you crossfire guys!)

17. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

But how will we know what constitutes 'feature complete' though? I don't recall anyone at ISI laying out what goes in the initial release and what comes after. That's pretty much what I'm asking in the first post.

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Sorry pal, but this is about ignoring a customer who need such info and ask for.
    And yes, saying "we agree that informing you would be better" and after that "we don't need to inform you about product you paid and you are testing for us" is just pathetic.

From my (as developer) knowledge, it may take 6 months up to year (or even more). Especially comparing to current development speed. But imo (no, I have no crystal ball) rf2 will be released gold with known flaws, just to release it and make fixes after release. Then we will be happy that product is "supported" by patches "in contrast to EA etc"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  19. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Need? How do you need this info?? lol

Tell you what, pal, send me your paypal info and I'll personally give you a refund if you promise to go away and quit trolling these forums.

It's obvious you don't like the game and have no respect for ISI as developers. Why are you even here?

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

"how" or "what for" is basically not your business. Looks like more people want to know things that's why they/we asking for it.

it's not about money. Yes, it is about respect; But respect must be deserved. Being just a developer of niche product is not enough in that case.