Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

There is also 4790k for socket 1150

2. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@sherpa25 Thanks for your thoughts. Currently running mine with a STRIX 980Ti and the gameplay is smooth enough, but am not getting more than about 45-60 FPS. From what you have said, I don't think I would get anything more out of my setup upgrading the CPU, there are quite a few people reporting issues running an i7 and a 1080Ti. Probably best to stick with what you know.

sherpa25 likes this.
  3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I see "aggressive threading" in the rF2 video section. Aggressive anything seems like the way to go. What does that do? Is it recommended? I have an i5 7600k cpu.

Also, if using "HMD Only", is the Sync choice relevant? What should I choose with a 1080ti?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  4. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

I've just checked performance again after a driver update and no change for me; similar odd behaviour as you describe. With i7-4790K, 1080Ti, I park on track in Practice and the Oculus Debug Tool shows a 70% FPS headroom until every few seconds whereupon there's a period of sawtooth rises and falls from the 70% headroom down to around -4% (or something - it's too fast to read). So unless the unseen AI cars that are clocking laps are doing something with the physics, then there's something very wrong going on in rF2. I noticed driving out of the pits the frame rate does the crazy sawtooth thing just going past certain structures. This isn't physics surely, but some total mess in the in graphics implememtation. This isn't steam or the pc, it's in rF2. And neither iRacing nor AC have had these type of issues for me at any time.

rF2 isn't worth bothering with in this state alas. I check it every now and then. It's sad because it has a superior tyre model imo, and the weather and all that feels more real than iracing's sterile environment.

mb24064 and Adrianstealth like this.
  5. sharjeelr

sharjeelr Registered

Thanks to @Rolacka , I managed to get rf2 run in vr without any issues by simply using his solution: 1. Install process lasso, leave everything as is. No need to tweak anything in it. 2. Disable Windows 10 game mode, in case you are using Windows 10.
    I had to put up with the nightmare that rf2+vr was turning out to be for me for a month, until i did what he suggested.

6. mb24064

mb24064 Registered

I have basically stopped playing RF2 now because of the VR performance. Running a 1080 TI + 4770k (will be upgrading next year). I have tried every combination of settings (graphics, AA, SS, no AI etc), uninstall, only S397 content and will get some good laps, then stutter, then will get game freezes (lose time). The constant VR Content Loading by just changing between pages in race menu, then the random VR Content Loading during a race (get it when I reset ffb for example). It is just unplayable so will stick with AC and Iracing for now as the VR experience is flawless under any setting in those titles.

RF2 is one of my favorite but I am back to VR or bust at the moment and don't want to setup triples again.

sherpa25 likes this.
  7. txinas

txinas Registered

have you got antena wifi?dont use it. Use a cable from the router and in the options of window desactivate the antena wifi.

8. mb24064

mb24064 Registered

Thanks for the idea. Not really the issue. I always run this computer with hard line. I get the same problems in VR/non-VR, dx9/dx11, online/offline etc. It is not strictly related to VR unfortunately. Instead of VR Content Loading screens if I am in single or triple screen it is just a complete application freeze.

CPU usage is low, GPU usage is below 100% so it doesn't make much sense. Also use SSD so not a disc issue. Play a lot of AAA games and every other racing sim and they run flawlessly so I have to attribute it to something with this title specifically.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Try posting a full diagnosis in the Support Forum you should get more views to help you there :)

mb24064 likes this.
  10. Magus

Magus Registered

In the last couple of weeks I have been experiencing the 'rF2 Loading VR Content' screen for prolonged periods on the menu, especially when selecting the 'Vehicles' selection. It was there before but now it sometimes doesn't go away unless I find something to select blindly in the background using audio cues.

Also now in-game, when I click the 're-centre VR view' button, I get a grey screen and again the time of that screen varies from maybe one second to many. Once I re-centred my view at a start of a race and the screen didn't come off the grey, even though when I moved my head I could see down the edges where the game was showing through. After around 30 seconds and pressing various buttons on my keyboard it finally cleared.

There has been an Oculus Driver update, SteamVR update (& possibly a Nvidia Driver update) since I have noticed these issues becoming problems, and it seems to be getting more obtrusive. I have re-run my Oculus Headset set-up but that has not helped. Wondering if anybody else is having similar issues? I'm using Nvidia drivers 385.41, Oculus app version 1.18.0.442021 (1.18.0.442311) beta, and using Steam VR Beta.

11. mb24064

mb24064 Registered

Yeah I think that is similar to the issue I am experiencing however it happens outside of VR as well in form of screen freeze. I have not been able to find resolution to it.

12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I've hit strange corruption in player.json file. "Game Version": was "" . Once I set it to "1.0" delays on pressing race button were gone. This is not VR specific, applies to Desktop too.

DrivingFast likes this.
  13. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Wait so if i understand correctly by doing what you said there is no vr content loading screen anymore?

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

this is for fixing delay on hitting the Race button. I might be wrong of course.

15. Magus

Magus Registered

I seem to have resolved both my issues and the problem was two-fold.

The grey screen when pressing the re-centre VR view was solved by going into SteamVR - Settings - Developer - Room & Tracking - Clicking Quick Calibrate (Small Space)

The other issue of the hanging 'VR Content Loading' screen was resolved by removing a host of mods that i was rarely using so slim-lining my rf2 install.

Hope some of that helps you resolve your issues.

16. mb24064

mb24064 Registered

I wish that helped my issues with VR Content Loading/application freezing. Mine is standard install with only standard content at this point...

17. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Registered

After a few tests last night Iv found that start-up issues can be solved by not having steam vr open before starting game.Which is strange because when the vr was first implemented I had yo have steam vr up and running before starting game .Anyway try one or the other if your having problems with start-up hangs.Once stared performance is great make sure all graphics low and switch off post processing .I run ss at 1.5 with 1st level AA...Higher ss and no AA also performs well .

18. Depco

Depco Registered

Does anyone know how to get the names to come up over the cars while using the Rift? Using the "Tab" key I can not get the name to show on screen. It is very irritating to not know who I am following or ahead of. Also I would like to change the font on the UI. I have seen people with the blockier font and I would like to change to it but don't know how. Any help would be great.

19. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Not sure on the font thing, but the names were disabled in VR because they were not working properly .

20. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

I don't know if the freezes happening to more people is a good thing or not. Performance is getting worse and worse for me and already lost hope it will ever come close to any of the other sims. Actually the fact they only implemented OpenVR and left it like that knowing that a lot of Rift users have issues with it is very telling