Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

This may not help but I'll throw it out there. When I first extended my Rift cables (all of them) I got random blackouts. I added an HDMI repeater between the 2 sections of the HDMI cable (extra 3m) and never had that problem since. So it could be a power issue. I don't know if the USB could be responsible too for yours, so try another USB port for the Rift or sensors if you haven't. I did get some errors from one of the 2 sensors, so moved to a different USB port, fine since. Thinking laterally, if it was the HDMI, you could try a repeater and add a short length of HDMI cable (making sure you get the right male/female connections).

2. Depco

Depco Registered

Comp specs look fine. Potentially your rift maybe overheating. I have not had this issue. Also it simply could be a defective unit. Wish I could help more.

3. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@Old Hat and @Depco - thanks for the input guys. Have had it suggested that it could be a USB issue, so will be looking into that further. I haven't extended any of my cables, so don't think it relates to that. Have moved the sensor to another USB and have not run MSI Afterburner - probably just me, but seems to be running better.

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

The only problem I had with my Rift when I got it first (one and a half years ago) was with USB ports I used. Don't know if that still is a problem. Before I got the Rift I bought an Inateck 4x USB 3.0 PCIe card (which was known to work well). But still had to put the sensor USB to the Inateck card and the Rift USB to my Intel USB 3.0 port to work best. Don't know if USB and Oculus Rift is still a problem.

What would probably help to find the cause of your problems is to try native Oculus Rift applications and see if you have problems too. So you know if the cause is more deep (if you have problems there too) or if it is only related to rF2/SteamVR. If the later is the case try some other SteamVR applications. So you know if it is a problem with SteamVR or only rF2 related.

5. halono

halono Registered

I had some problems with my Rift.
    1. My screen went black very often after a while in race.
    2. Sound was disconnecting after a while in race.

I solved issue 1 with adding a better CPU fan. I've also underclocked the NVidia GTX980 card (core -49 Mhz and Memory -41 Mhz). My CPU is still overclocked as I've always had.

Issue 2 was solved by throwing away a ASUS 3.1 card. I bought a inateck superspeed 4 ports pci-e with power.

After these two things it all works fine after a month of gaming. I'm not sure what your problem is, but this is my story of almost giving up and how it was solved.

adamfarmer likes this.
  6. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

After stumbling over several gotchas I got finally VR working. Woohoo! Very cool! Only problem I have now is getting the mirrors set up. The ole Ctrl/Alt with the seat movement keys seems to be having some effect but it can't over come a huge horizontal compression I'm seeing. By fumbling around I discovered that the seat movement keys themselves (without Ctrl or Alt) have an enormous effect on the mirror view. That is, just moving my seat forward or backward makes the mirror view stretch or compress tremendously. When the seat is in proper position the mirror view is tremendously compressed horizontally.

Anybody know the fix for this?

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sounds like a specific mod issue, what mod are you seeing this effect on?

8. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Since moving my USB connections as posted earlier, I have not had any issues at all [probably have just tempted fate]. It starts every time and had no issues in race. Keeping fingers crossed].

9. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

The car, if that's what your asking, is Historic Open Wheel Challenge - Eve F2. Tried it a Belgium and Sebring.

Looking at Mods in the Launcher/Packages screen I see a ton of Mods for all the online races I've done recently. But all of them are uninstalled except EVE_MATRA_F1 (Multi Cmp) and SR4L_F2_Spa (the only DX11 online race I've done). Apparently they aren't automatically installed in the switch to DX11.

Interesting thing... all the distortion I mention is happening in the virtual mirrors as well as the car mounted ones. As I recall, the mirror controls didn't used to have an effect on the three virtual mirrors displayed at the top of the screen.

Edit: Tried the EVE F1 at Silverstone. Still screwed up. Have figured out that what I am seeing (super distorted) is flipped horizontally. What I see in my right mirror is actually (well virtually... ;) ) behind me to my left.

If I can't get this figured out I'm hosed for using VR.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

OK solved...

Installed the ISI BT 20. (An up-to-date car I think.) It had no mirror problems. Went back to all the other cars I tried before and now they have no mirror problems. o_O

So I think MarkG was on to it. Don't know (or care) technically how one good car (mod) could fix all the others but it did. So I'm off to the races! Thank you Mark for pointing me in the right direction.

Edit: Seems though that some of the control keys must be different. For instance, Ctrl-Shift seat-up/seat-down used to stretch the mirror scene vertically. Now it doesn't.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    MarcG likes this.
  11. Adrian

Adrian Registered

People have reported that doing THIS can help with performance troubles for people playing SteamVR games on an Oculus.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. elcoco

elcoco Registered

thx Adrian for this tip
    i tried it with the vive and you now what? That work ;)

Adrian likes this.
  13. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

I just got an oculus and I'm blown away with the immersion... in other games. In Rf2 I get super dizzy, specially during braking for some reason.

Im getting constant 90 fps and I have the 2 sensor setup so I don't think it is a tracking problem.

Any ideas? I set head movement to 0 and exaggerate yaw to 0 too, are there any settings or tips to reduce dizziness?

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Congrats!

In my opinion, it takes time for brain to adjust, so simply take your time. Try to look straight most of the time. Also, some people turn head physics off in the game, I keep it on personally.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Turn all those pesky g-force effect sliders to 0 ( in rf2 options )
    -see instructions in 1st post

There should be no graphical movement effects

16. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Yeah, first thing I did was to check this post, and set head movement and yaw and all that to 0. Is there any specific setting I might be missing?

Thanks, I tried to stick with it and complete as many laps as I could but at some point I felt like I was going to throw up and had to stop. I guess I will try again.

Weird think to me is that it is only during braking, it is as if my brain is waiting to feel the push forward and since there isn't any it gets confused.

17. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Brain needs days to adjust, even weeks. I don't think just pushing through will work. I'd suggest increasing length of driving gradually. Our brains are amazing and capable of insane things :) I remember first days in VR, even though I didn't get sick, it was brain twisting.

I guess you get sick because you expect inertia during braking, and it's not happening of course. I am still getting dizzy when I am going up the hill (in VR) and say, crash, when car rolls backwards :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  18. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Registered

You get sick because the view needs to be locked to horizon not locked to the car.All the other sims do this for vr .I'm hoping rf2 does this in the future.

bluet likes this.
  19. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Can anyone advise what effect there is in the VR headset between running HMD and HMD+Mirror. Just tried mine with the mirror on and didn't notice any real difference in-game, but wondering if the performance is suffering.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've done benchmarks and there's little to no difference between having the mirror on or off (on my system, yours may vary)