Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Thanks MarcG - didn't see any difference in mine, but who knows. Might use it from time to time.

MarcG likes this.
  2. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

I tried again yesterday with head movement to 100% and it was much better. Not sure if it was that or I'm getting used to it, but I think it helped.

I think it is related to the horizon lock as @Johngrim64 pointed out, I know it is not the same setting, but I think with head movement on the horizon looks more stable, I noticed the car moving more in response to bumps and things like that.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Some poor 3rd party tracks have bumps that throw the visual car front out , isi/397 tracks are fine

4. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

All my testing with VR has been in Silverstone.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  5. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

Real life tracks have bumps (as do ISI tracks), it shouldn't matter.
    It's the sorely missing lock-to-horizon setting that's the problem.

6. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Has S397 acknowledged it, and mentioned any plans re. it in future dev plans? Just asking, as it's a significant feature mentioned many times, but not sure if they've mentioned it in future updates.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  7. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Been trying various things to get my VR running as smoothly as possible. Currently using the Oculus Debug Tool to check this. Have a technical [ish] question. On current settings, the Performance Headroom runs around the 60% mark, BUT every two seconds it drops to -70% momentarily before returning to 60% for two seconds and so on. This happens whether I am on track, or just sat in the lobby area [where can change set up, controls etc]. Anyone any idea what could be running in the background or causing this?

sherpa25 likes this.
  8. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah they have already attempted, check this post.

sherpa25 likes this.
  9. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

Don't quite understand how other sims managed it really.

sherpa25 likes this.
  10. Pilot37

Pilot37 Registered

Just installed Oculus and used on Assetto last night. A bit sickening under braking on fast cars and then curiosity drove me to deliberately crash into a wall....that caused serious disorientation and I had to quit for the night! The thing is that everything is so immersive that I don't want to revert to 2D so I am going to take it more steady and build up my tolerance. I don't recommend you try a high speed crash...it gives you quite a start just at impact and I'm still not 100% 12 hours later :)

sherpa25 likes this.
  11. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Registered

In assetto look for the lock view to horizon is checked.Also turn off post processing and lower aa to x2 to keep frame rate at 90. No more sickness hopefully

12. elbo

elbo Registered

once you start tumbling in a crash in VR the only solution for me is to close my eyes until it stops, otherwise, yeah, it can be pretty dis-orienting. With lock to horizon on in AC though all is well under driving conditions even in bumpy terrain. Hope RF2 figures this out soon.

sherpa25 and Johngrim64 like this.
  13. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Currently need to use PP if you want to see brake lights of cars in front. Unfortunately, despite using low, PP's still a resource hog.

14. Magus

Magus Registered

The other day in iL-2 BOX I lost control of the Yak at 5000 feet into a constant spin all the way into the ground and wow was that a disorientating. The good news was that I did not feel sick after as before it would have sent me off VR for a few days but I jumped straight back in and re-did the mission.

I have absolutely no problems with AC, rF2 or pCARS with/without lock to horizon, head movement, g-force but in DIRT Rally I can easily feel a little sickly, especially if going off trail. DIRT rally is my least played game and it is interesting that persistence/practice has allowed me to overcome and negative consequence of VR induced disorientation form the games I play regularly, especially iL2 which is so much more extreme.

15. osyres

osyres Registered

Rf2 don t even work with vr for me. When i start the game it shows rf2 logo and everything inside my hmd ist grey.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I take it you've setup the Rift in SteamVR as well as the Oculus Software?

17. osyres

osyres Registered

Everything worked for 3 week. Now anytime i start vr the hmd shows grey color inside the rift. steam vr shows ready and i can see on my monitor that headtracking and the game works but nothing inside my vr headset.

18. elbo

elbo Registered

VR and Karting, I had not tried that combination. If you have not either, give it a try. The pavement zipping by under you gives a really good speed sensation.

Korva7 likes this.
  19. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Am currently running an i5 4460 [Socket 1150] and was wondering if it is worth the extra cost of a 4670 or 4690. Have looked at a comparison on CPUBoss, but not really sure if it is worth the extra £100+. Any thoughts?

20. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

FWIW, I have an OC'd 4670k (4.3GHz) and 980Ti, but cant say if it would be worth it for you. It would depend on some factors as your expense threshold and current performance (and GPU). With my setup though, I still dont get full 90fps with mostly High settings and average-sized AI (15), and use 45fps ASW usually. I have yet to find acceptable settings that would give me full 90fps, if thats also your objective. I was in a similar situation of planning to upgrade as well, but think I'll wait for the next 'hopefully VR'-optimized GPU before upgrading my rig. Besides, even a high spec PC currently doesn't seem to hold full 90 as well, from what I've read, so quite useless for me to upgrade. So with your current CPU, im guessing perhaps you'd just reduce a few AI and few clicks of supersampling, to get similar performance as mine. But of course, upgrading your CPU may bring in some benefit, though I'm pretty sure not much, and the worth of which only you would be able to decide. :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017