Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. atomed

atomed Member

Oh, in that case IIRC you´d have to add -VR in the properties of the shortcut.

makan likes this.
  2. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

The VR launch was changed some time ago from switching via the Graphics config, to using the more normal way of starting games in VR through steam launch options.

I've only ever started the sim in VR this way since it was updated. It's possible that some launch options might get round this, but i can't remember if that's now possible. I seem to remember adding +VR to the launch options might do it?

atomed likes this.
  3. BullyUK

BullyUK Registered

hi!
    is it possible the openvr_api.dll needs updating in rfactor2 bin64? folder? were you using openvr before? if not maybe better off using it anyway?

4. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Thanks Matty(?) will try the +VR option tonight.

5. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Hi! I do not use the openvr option as cannot use apps like fpsVR.

6. BullyUK

BullyUK Registered

what does fpsvr do that openxr toolkit companion doesnt do? and wont openvr give you more fps to look at? :-D

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  7. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Hi @BullyUK - wasn't aware of openxr, but will check out. I use FPSVR for CPU/GPU usage and most importantly, the clock feature. I do miss a clock when in VR.

8. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Hi @BullyUK - could you point me to a simple how to install guide for Openxr?

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

makan likes this.
  10. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

11. BullyUK

BullyUK Registered

^ nice! yes its has the clock :-D very handy

12. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

13. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

How would the game be started with open xr rather than steam vr?

14. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

15. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

@falconitage
    In regards to the 992s at BH in rain video..
    The card does resolution really well. i would say its a reso monster! :D
    Was able to do 15 visible 992s in Long Beach with 115% (3400x3316 per eye) resolution.
    (with same settings i did 11 visibles with 95% (3088x3016 per eye) res with my oc'ed 6800xt)
    So yeah, the card is considerable upgrade when it comes to resolution capability.
    Though when you compare perf/Watts its not that much of an uplift anymore. The card is faster mostly due higher power usage, and is very hot because of it.

But the video it self...
    The rainspray was the biggest challenge by far. For that i had to use all my overclocking juju to be able to pull it off.
    The spray just kills your perf with resolutions we have in our hmds nowdays.
    Also if i would have started from the back of the grid, with 16 visibles, that would have been a slide show still.
    I tested that 8-9 cars in front spraying the water was the limit, (cars behind are not as much of an issue as the spray is not visible in mirrors), so i would limit visibles to 8 probably for an online race with full 100% res.

Overclocking the card is not easy, and you cannot just force high minimum clocks like with 6000 series unfortunately.
    There is "ai" component now, that manages your clocks according to variables like temp and power headroom.
    Too high mem (vram) clocks also ruin your gpu clocks, but also destroys the perf it self if too high, without any indication of it (crashing or artefacting) so its hard to pick it up when it happens, and thus find the right MHz for the mem.
    So in a nutshell:
    Watts and Celcius are the enemy of the MHz when clocking the card.
    Memory has to be just right to get best perf out of it.
    I have had the card for very short while, so this is just my initial experience with it.
    But it seems to be good performer for rf2 VR.
    If i would buy it again, i would probs go with watercooled version, just to get the perf out of it easier and not having to worry about the temps as much.
    Hope this answers some of your quastions about the card ;)

16. falconitage

falconitage Registered

thank you for the answer !
    my question was about how and where you set that resolution ? are you using openxr ?

and so what you mean is that it is useless to share any of your overclock setting. FYI I've a got the Merc 7900xtx.

17. PedroJ

PedroJ Registered

Hi.
    Recently, I started to use OpenXR toolkit, and it was a real change to the performance and quality of the visuals, i´m really impressed by the performance i gained by using OpenXR instead of SteamVR. But i have a problem, cannot change the resolution,it is very nice as it is (100%) with NIS only for a better quality,without using upscaling. I also use only SMAA x2 and not 4, because it blurs the image. Anyway, everytime i tried to increase the resolution, after a restart of the game, i get a black screen, the only way to restore, is to reset Openxr Toolkit. Can anyone give me some advice ?

Note: I have Openxr Tools MS installed. I tried with it uninstalled and had the same problem. Haven´t tried in others games to change the resolution, I have to see in AMS2 or DR2 what happens.

HP Reverb G2, last one, and 3800 12GB with a 5800x3d and 32GB @3600/16 cl1

18. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

i use open xr tools for setting the resolution. 100% is what is default, and what i used in the video.
    https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9N5CVVL23QBT?gl=US&hl=en-us
    and opencomposite dll to use open xr without steam vr.
    my oc settings:
    Min 2905MHz, Max 3181MHz, vcore 1.113v, vram 2764MHz fast timings
    Your cards VRM is different so these most likely wont work for you as is, but might help to find the right spot...?
    chiplottery wise my card is very good for vram (clearly above avg), and slighly above avg for the core if that is any worthy info for you..

19. falconitage

falconitage Registered

thank you ! I will give a try !

20. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Hi All,

Am considering to go VR, just a stupid question,... I have a nice Logitech 5.1 system mounted on my rig. So now I was wondering if I need to use the optional headset that comes with some sets. As on the one hand I think not as I'm sitting steady in my rig, but since my head will move,.... my 5.1 will not move with me and the headset is.

All in all, horrible questions in live I've to deal with. ;)