rFactor1 to rFactor 2 Conversion Tutorial - Quick Guide

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dylbie, Apr 8, 2016.

1. SharD

SharD Registered

For that car it is a texture attached to the suspension mesh. As far as I know it is never a texture belonging to the external bodywork, which is the mesh that also has the WCCARBODY/livery on. I'll upload this car and another car with the same issue so you can compare them.

2. SharD

SharD Registered

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  3. redapg

redapg Registered

@SharD I've downloaded it, but i need to have the exact Files and Folders in the same Structure that you use.
    What you did upload, is not loading, so it is not what you use and when i restructure it, to get it loading, i get "Could not read file:"
    and then "onFatalError 11".
    So please upload exactly what you are using in your DevMode.

4. SharD

SharD Registered

Ah, very well. I don't use devmode, though, I import the cars directly into the game through the content manager. I will compile the right package tomorrow. Thanks for looking into it. This problem has been annoying me ever since I converted my first rFactor 2 mod. :)

5. redapg

redapg Registered

@SharD To use the DevMode, makes the Things much quicker and easier. ;)
    But if you have the Car(s) in a working rfcmp, you can also upload that.

Bjørn likes this.
  6. SharD

SharD Registered

I uploaded a .rfcmp file with a car in.

Don't drive it yourself as it is just a quick unmodded car to show the issue I am having. Just use a different car and use the car I uploaded as AI, then drive into it at a considerable speed.

The car is under 1994F1 ingame.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/modded-cars.62326/

7. redapg

redapg Registered

@SharD I can not reproduce the Problem, neither in Single Player nor in Devmode.
    Can you reproduce it with the TEST1994LOTUS.rfcmp, that you did upload now?
    BTW I would suggest to open a private Conversation, because that will be a longer Discussion, i fear.

8. Franx1979

Franx1979 Registered

Hi guys,

I need help with steering wheel speedbk, gearbk, lapsbk, all of them are not showing in game and I don't know what else I can change. I was converting BMW Sauber 2006 to RF2 but the only digital gauge that works is rpm leds, nothing else works, although in RF1 it did... what is the issue...

where am i making the mistake??

does anybody have a guess??

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

9. redapg

redapg Registered

There was a Problem with Fonts some Time ago.
    Give the Font Files of the Gauges that does not work, a proper Alpha Channel and if it's a tga File, save it as 32 bit.
    Try the below uploaded Font for the Gears, where i added a "quick made" Alpha Channel.
    That should work.

Attached Files:

10. Franx1979

Franx1979 Registered

Thank you so much... it worked, so it was much simpler than I thought... just lacking an alpha channel...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  11. redapg

redapg Registered

I would recommend to not post your list of converted Mods, except you have the Permissions to convert them, from all original Creators.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    Franx1979 and Corti like this.
  12. Franx1979

Franx1979 Registered

True... deleted the mods link...

13. SharD

SharD Registered

These mods are 15 to 22 years old. I honestly don't think anyone still cares about what happens to them, heh.

And you don't need permission to convert mods if they are for personal use only. You only need permission when you release them.

Decent cars, anyhow. Have you encountered problems anywhere? I am still having the "flipped texture" issue as described above. Did you encounter that issue as well?

14. redapg

redapg Registered

You can never be sure about that.

That was why i recommended to not to post the List of Links to all the converted Mods here in the Forum, because that is a kind of a Release.

As i've told you in our private Conversation in 2023, it is a kind of a Bug, that, if you still have that Problem, is still present.
    Here is the Video again that shows the Effect.

SharD likes this.
  15. Franx1979

Franx1979 Registered

No my friend, I never had this issue, so I would not know what to do to fix it....

Maybe I never faced it because I only converting things that are already done and they do function in a proper way either in RF1 or F1C... I mostly use 3dsimed to do so... and the mods that I convert are even dificult to ask permission 'cause they are a mix of many mods and cars from different authors, some famous, but most of them are obscure (in case I was going to release them) Some are not only releasing this kind of mod but selling this kind of content for Assetto Corsa (SimDream)... and I doubt that they have legal right to do so...

Sometimes it depends on the ability of your lawyer to spin things, and distort the truth, and in this case like many others they are selling content for a game that I read once that don't even allow selling mods.... (you can't make this things up!!)...

I would say they are good templates (at least for me), and in them you can find each and every part of a Formula car (except for the DRS system of moving rear wing, I don't know how to do it... and didn't do the reverse engineering on any mod that uses it to know how it works), but my main priority is to make light mods in terms of disk space use, hints why car sounds are so generic and serve many mods, including a driver made in two parts that is very adjustable to many situations, positions and car sizes...

in a way, I wish these mods could make easier the job of anyone that uses this kind of structure, basic template,

maybe self explanatory?? Don't know.... But it helped me a lot to follow this structure, hope it helps somebody else

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    Corti and SharD like this.
  16. SharD

SharD Registered

I think I found a crude way of "fixing" the flipped texture issue.

I have split the upper carbody from the lower carbody.
    Then I made the lower carbody slightly smaller, while keeping the upper "shell" the same size. It is not visible from the outside that the lower carbody is a tad smaller.

It doesn't fix the issue at hand, but at least it makes the bugged textures invisible.

This is the "bugged" car after a heavy collision:

The other grab is an unfixed car, again, after a heavy collision:

Attached Files: