rFactor 2 in Las Vegas!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Marcel Offermans, Jan 7, 2017.

1. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

When we've run our LAN's here at home we have up to 20 people. No idea how many this event had.
    We all bring our own PC and rig, All the router, cables and a laptop for the sever are bought by the LAN organizer. So you can imagine the high possibility of having a multitude of trouble. Using rF2 but no third party plug-ins, we don't have that many issues. Occasionally someone has a problem but that's more because their not up to date or something. It's not a issue with rF2.

So from our experiences with rF2 LAN based like this event would have been any and all issue they had were off their making. LAN is so much more stable then online. It's all right there. No distance at all between the server and PC's. Power to run it all is the biggest worry we have. A shed with 3 phase power is a must.

It's a shame these people that really don't know how things work can then go and write up a blog on a subject they know so little about. RaceDevelopment "well' publish a article from you if they deem it worthy of cause. Truthful, Un-bias, Clear and well written. We have ability to count any bad press so to speak. And these RD articles often get on facebook were people that have nothing to do with sim racing can read it, If they want to.

Something for you budding reporters to think about.

Gerard Tillman and peterchen like this.
  2. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Who is this Jake Sparey anyway. Reading this blog shows me he clearly knows jack sh@$t of what he's on about.

And can someone explain to me "Why" Formula E is so different that it requires over 25 plug-in to make it work?
    I get the FANBOOST plug-in which is just a "cheats" thing anyway. A few others I get, but the rest, Why so many? Sounds like they where using NASCAR 2003! Oh no wait! Sorry, That's iRacing.

rFactor2, despite being the only real viable option!
    Then he goes on to criticize that they shouldn't have used rFactor2. So were now?
    But is wasn't really. rFactor1 is still very capable. With the upgrades on PC's rFactor1 can run with higher resolution textures and look as good as some others that aren't as old. Granted the physics aren't as good but if your going to blame the format then why not a proven stayer, right?

The guy's an idiot. He's countered his own claims so he really can't be taken seriously anyway.
    The only two other option where iRacing and Assetto Corsa.
    Saying AC didn't have the car is a joke, Saying it didn't have the track, Also a joke. Any modder that's worked on AC would have both in-game in days. Physics built and test by a experienced AC physics guy's, A matter of weeks. With the money they used to run this, I'm sure they could have used what ever they wanted to and payed who ever they needed to , to make it work.

iRacing, Well really we all know.. Enough said on that one.

It's so funny how us mere humans are always so quick to start playing the blame game when ever something goes wrong isn't it!!

3. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

You say all.. cloudsport fault

4. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Still, not a single issue that occurred was rFactor 2's fault, so I don't see the reason to blame it at all.

The blame lays squarely at the organisers for:
    - Using a track made seemingly by a 2 year old in a few weeks (untested)
    - Using plugins made by the above's slightly older sibling (untested)
    - Not having backup parts/rigs. I would be pretty pissed if told I am unable to start the race due to their lack of preparation.
    - Running graphics settings on the broadcast machine on very low settings. I understand if the mod/track is slightly un-optimised meaning the drivers themselves run on lower settings, but come on, for the broadcast machine, clearly they had money floating around, so get the best hardware possible FFS!

5. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

For the "biggest races in the history of simracing" and a cash-prize has 1M$ people expect something else...
    A mod that pricks eyes, a retransmission filmed with feet ... serious ... even the amateur leagues on youtube do better !!
    Imagine a small race endurance on a good mod (proto-GT) with change of drivers, cycle day / night weather changing, on a good circuit with beautiful camera for good replay to follow the race!!
    The best of rf2!!
    Or just the same thing on the mod USF2000 with the usf pro drivers on official track, with a mod of quality is no longer to prove it can be that of happiness!
    Sorry for the translation, I speak English as cloudsport organize events :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Ernie likes this.
  6. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Yes it is, going forward. The thing is that all the key people, Jean Todt, CEO of FE, sponsors etc. were all there at the show. By all accounts the reaction from people at the show was positive. In the scheme of eSports 11k watching on Twitch is a drop in the ocean and they knew the people watching would be most likely hardcore sim racers anyway - who hardly need to be convinced! IMHO it is the event that matters far more than the broadcast in this case.

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

To tell from the comments that flew in in chat, only a fraction of viewers where simracers. So that´s not true.

8. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Was anybody allowed to have a go at the 'road to Vegas challenge'? I mean if the average sim racer could jump into a server and have a crack, would it not massively boost interest in rf2 and the event in general? Maybe i just missed it, but I can't really remember it being promoted.

9. Taris Henrique

Taris Henrique Registered

Anyone have the replay of the race to share?

10. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

No, I didn't and haven't pointed the finger by naming anyone. Did you read in either of my posts a name to blame?
    Apart from Jake Sparey for his rubbish blog. Haha...

All because CloudSport was named as the event organizer what we need to realize is they would have been dictated to by FIA, The sponsors and the race owners as to what they can and can not do. So to lay blame on one entity involved would just be wrong, Wouldn't you think? :)

11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

[​IMG]

Juergen-BY likes this.
  12. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

That wasn't the impression I got but I didn't spend too long looking at the chat, it got rather inane...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Cloud Sport was selected probably because it was a Spanish Company and Formula E CEO is Spanish. No real experience in these type of events.

Their only experience was organizing Seat Leon Cup at Spain level, which wasn't much followed.

If you look at the webpage they do not seem to have any other project/event in their pipeline. They seem to have servers but no content in them.

I wonder if Formula E is happy with what they got and if they have intentions to make a second edition of Vegas (or other).

14. Led566

Led566 Registered

15. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Anyone was allowed to have a go, that's why there were qualifiers. All the top sim racers knew about it, and the best made it to the final event that was held this weekend. It wasn't just a bunch of random dudes lol.

16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

As previous post said, it was announced in these forums in september. You can see it didn't have much impact then.

This is one of the biggest errors IMO. The promotion to the race was late and insufficient. Considering rF2 was being used, a bigger collaboration from ISI/S397, would have been helpful.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-with-1-mio-us-price-money.53318/#post-862845

17. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

[​IMG]

:rolleyes: