rFactor 2 Build 946 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Promag

Promag Registered

Not true, I just download all content to the data folder and use mod manager to install or uninstall in each install. Just because ISI put the content downloader in the UI doesn't mean you have to use it. If your a hobbyist your gonna find work-arounds It's a toolbox and you can use the tools you need, it's not horribly complicated.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I think he is referring to content like the UI for example where it has build dependencies. But this could also be worked around by having the old and new UI installed and selected in your individual player profiles. But it's a bit convoluted and not possible by your average user.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Rf1 had a gazillion of drivers to pull from, rf2 has what, 200? (yes yes, the numbers are obviously made up)

How do we recruit when using a game-breaker-build and how do we recruit when using older builds?
    For us, not having the luxury of a large userbase like yourself Noel, those technical solutions are ok, if you can afford them. we cannot afford it because we don't only rely on future-users to participate, we need future-users that make us stronger, and help pay the bills.
    Since rf2 we struggle to get the bills done, because not enough dedicated users. we used to be frigging rich in rf1, the sky was the limit. now its a season-per-season crossing-fingers-frenzy.

I'm not as hard-boiled as H2H but I do agree, something needs to give on disastrous builds, we need to be able to work with it. even if its just solid information being provided, tell us what you're doing, what plan B could be.
    Drivers fighting for a championship lost an entire month, we might not see them back, or if they do with less interest. I know I care less atm, even though it fixed now. was just getting my mojo back ffs lol.

But knowing in advanced a certain timeline is present in case of emergency, that's something we can build on, postpone official races, re-organise stuff, whatever. Help us help you. we need rf2 as much as rf2 needs us. or at least I want to believe that.

4. Promag

Promag Registered

I never considered RF2 enthusiasts to be average users.;)

Edit: I agree that the 930 cpu spike was a miss step that needs to be avoided.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I suppose VEC does have a solid base where we are capable of posting on our FB page, "Hold off on build XXX until we finish testing". People do what ever it takes in our league. Our guys know not to update right away unless we say it's okay. Our users never have to roll back because they never update without being told to. We also have multiple servers and lately we have been running the latest build on a test server and ask advanced users to do some testing on the test server and report any problems. If everything seems okay we announce that it's okay for everyone to update and then we update our main server.

930 was unfortunate. None of the testers experienced the CPU bug so it slipped past. There was a past internal build (months back) with odd CPU usage which was caught by a few testers and that build was held back. Sadly it's hard to catch every bug internally. Joe has one old machine at his house that was experiencing this bug and even with the MT code disabled it was still having odd CPU use. So I don't think they weren't convinced that simply turning off the new threading would do the trick.

One thing that would be really helpful was if ISI had a reliable build archive. At least for the past few builds so users can roll back without Googling for old file names in hopes of finding an old build. I started keeping my own archive of Lite and SDK builds for my own use. At least it isn't on Steam where you're forced to always use the latest build with no ability to roll back.

6. Justy

Justy Registered

There was, up until recently an archive on the rF2 website, with lots of old builds available to download. I can't find it now though, I do remember it was quite well hidden (possibly got to it through the dev corner), but it seems as though it's been removed now. :(

If a problem occurs with a future build and the work-around will be to roll-back, this archive really ought to be made a bit more prominent, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  7. Eddy

Eddy Registered

8. stonec

stonec Registered

FSR ran 3 events including world championship race last weekend with this "game-braker-build", build 946 came too late for us. So I think you are over-exaggerating a bit.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No it's fine. I keep older builds on our mediafire, too (though it would be difficult for someone to find them unless they bookmarked them earlier).

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

As did other major leagues, but it depends on his roster. If they all had affected systems, then it wasn't a good build for their league.

In any case, I'm very happy that 946 is such a good build that the only things you guys have to complain about were in the previous build.... Right? ;)

11. coops

coops Banned

i can understand ppl's frustrations but ISI and RF2 is no difference to most other SIMS now. They never release a full SIM from the word go, now they are all WIP which ppl will just have to learn to live with. I don't see them changing back to full release products any more. I CAN LIVE WITH IT.

12. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I won't say ISI does things perfectly, and there I think of new potencial users.

I'll describe shortly how critical mission environments manage changes in IT, for mature products (never beta products).

In a test environment:

- your IT team changes to new version mesuring and documenting the process.
    - tests successfully the new version.
    - rolls back to previous version mesuring and documenting the process.
    - test the version after the roll back.

Submits a "change request" to an IT supervisor, which includes a calendar where the hour of the beginning of the change is specified, the document describing the detailed process, the time limit when the change to new version will be aborted (in case of on incident during the change process), the tests that will be executed on the system after the change of version. The document that describes the roll back to previous version, and the tests that wil be done on the system after.

The IT supervisor will approve or deny the change, and may request adicional information, an end user is never allowed to change the software of his workstation. Even with all these controls, errors sometimes manage to pass through.

If you feel you run perfectly your league you can ask ISI to improve their game, managing a mature product like RF1 (problems and shortcomings well known) or a product in constant evolution, where fundamental pieces are still in development requires a different mindset, RF2 is still a beta product (advanced no doubt).

Many leagues have refrained to run championships on RF2 for these reasons, other do it successfully with due care.

Cheers.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Right! :D Joking...there is enough space for improvement, but B946 is a really big step in the right direction. Again, many thanks for this Build.

14. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

For this build I used the install the light installer over the top because the auto updater was at this time not ready. I noticed only improvements
    on my system .
    My system seems not affected of the CPU impact because of this I changed my player.jason for using 3 cores.
    I've no Idea about the difference of using auto updater versus install the light installer over the top. But I can see why ever it helps in many cases .

So community people in case of you notice some issues on your system try the light installer over the top of your rF2 installation.
    In my case rF2 performance was after using this procedure every time better or at least the same as before. I never experienced troubles with this kind of updating.

Edit: Don't forget to remove all custom plugins (only for a test) in case of troubles. Many of us have experimented in the past with fx injectors or similar tools. Maybe some residues or forgotten settings are now the reason for some troubles.
    Keep this in mind.

I mentioned this because it happend to me more then one time :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015
  15. elbo

elbo Registered

TrackIR plugin seems really hit and miss with this build...sometimes it works then other times it does not....sometimes restarting RF2 fixes the problem sometimes a system reboot is necessary.

16. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

I was playing with the cam and replay of my run with the NSX in low sun sao paolo last nite and man......

Im not into rf2 for its graphics but its the best look (without hdr/automation) so far. I stopped until my pc overheat (760gtx running triple screen)...around 1.30am (without saving a single screenshot)
    For me add a little DOF (a la iracing, AC DOF is rubbish) and its done.

Kudos ISI.

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

Nice to see the WIP on the Launcher, the already is more usefull than before. I didn't payed much attention on the details, because it did what i need to do with it. I could find all i need with ease, and due to the easyer content management process the installation and deinstallation of parts went unproplematically as well.

Only a little thing not optimal I see when i set the language to german the Race aka Rennen fonts are to big and decentered, in both of the menue before the car/track combo is loaded and the pit menue, otherwise everything seems ok UI wise so far.

The build looks good and works well too. :) Good job again. Next would be nice to have the cars updated with the tires.

18. javirulo007

javirulo007 Registered

Hi Everybody
    Can anybody tell me whether is any new animations in B946 and where i can find it for seeing it?
    Thanks in advance

19. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

FWIW I have gotten what seems to be CPU freeze several times now in 946. I was in denial the first 2 or 3 times it happened ; hoping it was something else and also of course didn't want to be the messenger. Unfortunately, I have seen it now many times albeit not as often as with 930. I have two 946 installs. My primary one is fresh install with only a single combo installed + pedal plugin + DeltaBest plugin. System is i7/GTX 760.

20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Run a software that monitors and records the history of your while using rF2 to make sure your CPU is "freezing". Could be a number of things so best to find out what exactly is going on with temps, load etc.