rFactor 2 09/2010 Rain Experiment

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Video of the experimental rFactor 2 rain effects we've been working on lately. We still have work to do on the effect (especially the droplets) and will post another video at a later date so you can see the progression and improvements.

2. jonelsorel

jonelsorel Registered

First of all, I think even at this stage the rain effect looks good! It would be great if rain drops on the windscreen/helmet would change dynamically according to speed and "yaw" of the car compared to the direction of travel. Second - a question: is the driver arms animation limited to the 540(ish) degrees lock to lock seen in the clip, or is the onscreen steering wheel rotation feature setable like in rfactor (with arms following whatever rotation one picks) ?

Thanks, appreciate it!

3. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

The handlin of the car looks awesome. Good luck in the development guys :)

4. Devon

Devon Registered

Nice bit of driving there....:rolleyes:

5. jonelsorel

jonelsorel Registered

offtopic: is that motion blur i notice in the new engine? :)

6. bmanic

bmanic Registered

The rain looks pretty damn nice but the droplets definitely need work. They should react to wind (aka speed) and wind direction (slip angle). Also the droplets seem to give a nice impression of a helmet so why not also take into account the curvature of the helmet while you are at it? This would enhance the feel even more.

Cheers!
    bManic

7. Alexease

Alexease Registered

This is only a fix animation, not dinamic...

8. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

Where is the problem to bring a dependency in this animation to various parameters, I think ISI will work on this.

9. Jenzinho

Jenzinho Registered

Drops looking like they put a filter on the footage in post. Does not make me exciting yet ,/
    The screenshots looked way more promising.
    Cheers.

10. Ahmad

Ahmad Registered

I was racing in F1 2010 and I noticed the drops on the camera weren't dynamic either.

11. rFPlanet

rFPlanet Registered

Well I'm not very sure that this post would be suited here best, but I will give it try.

Are those 3d arms in rFactor 2 as original, not like in rFactor, with some mods we can have it.
    Is this rain thing variable? Can we start in dry and end race in rain?
    In pits, can we see how pit guys changing tyres, I mean if we change tyre type, example in f1, changing from soft to hard.

Hope I didn't ask do hard questions :)

Best Regards,
    rFPlanet

12. jonelsorel

jonelsorel Registered

The screenshot shows drops on a windscreen while the clip shows them in an open wheel (probably helmet). Of course it's not the same effect.

13. Fredrik Arbegard

Fredrik Arbegard Registered

Yep it is variable, if you watch the interview with SRT you'll get all the details.

14. RaceRay

RaceRay Registered

Please dont compare rFactor with F1 2010. Codemaster even forget to create raineffects in the side mirrors. :) Just drive a race in rain and look in your side views to see your followers in beautiful sunshine :p

15. bmanic

bmanic Registered

The rain effects in Gran Tourismo 5 look quite promising, judging by the latest promo video. It could be better of course (the drops are a bit too "solid" looking.. much too perfect. Real rain doesn't look like that on the windscreen). Rain effect can be seen in the video link below, starting from 0:20. If you look closely you can see that speed and slip angle of the car play a role.. also splash from the car in front.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo6habH6aOE

Cheers!
    bManic

16. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Looks very impressive guys

17. Nirgal

Nirgal Registered

Will rf2 use CarCube for reflecting envirnontment or it will be real reflect? On this movie I think is CarCube, this will be much more realistic when real track will reflect in car body.

18. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

rFactor 2 is using realtime reflections.

19. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Both really. Realtime reflections is an option as it does cost a good few FPS to render that every frame. Turning it off to save FPS reverts back to the old track cube map...

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I would like to suggest a third option :)

If realtime reflections are implemented allready, then it should be pretty easy now, to add a pseudo-dynamic cubemap.
    Such cubemap's eye point would be placed somewhere on the track (position will be defined in .scn file).
    It would be updated once every x seconds and would not include moving objects like cars.

All cars would use it, so they can reflect the actual sky, not some static sky. This should work nice with daytime cycle.

Static cube is simply not enough - sky is brighter on the east in the morning, and on the west in the evening. It also changes colors etc.

This could also be used as an optimization - cars closer than 50-80m would use realtime cube, and cars further than 100m would use pseudo-dynamic cubemap.

EDIT:
    By the way - cubemaps really should be HDR, so they don't clamp color values rendered into them. If you render a very bright light glow into cubemap, and car would reflect only like 40% of environment, we would still like to see white reflection on car, not grey :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.